Best Max Volume Brass Sounds

Regiment's push in Elsa's last season was my favorite loud sound of 2011. The top-to-bottom sonority and volume was amazing!

Agree.

I'm not sure if this thread is asking us for " best maximum volume" or " best maximum volume without sacrificing tone quality"

The most " volume " Drum Corps brass volume I have ever heard was far and away the NY Skyliners of 1972. ( San Fran Renegades,a few years back perhaps 2nd )The earth shook when the NY Skyliners of '72 played. They'd make the '79 and '80 Brass line volume of the Spirit of Atlanta seem almost tame by comparison. But there is a big difference between " maximum volume " that is simply " maximum loud volume " and " maximum volume that is in tune where pitch, tone, sonority, etc are retained". So if we are talking about maximum volume where good intonation is still retained, my picks for the decades would be as follows ( DCI ):

70's : Blue Devils

80's : Cadets

90's : Star of Indiana

2000's : Crown

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2002 Cavaliers. The best ensemble sound in the history of drum corps. So much so, it doesn't sound like drum corps.

No disagreement on the ensemble sound, but the criteria was "best fortissimo plus moment." I don't remember one moment like that. Loud, yes. Loud by drum corps legendary standards? Absolutely no.

• Like 4

Spirit 79 was ridiculous! I can still feel the goosebumps.

I think the crowd was louder during the last few seconds of 86 Devils. Talk about tearing the house down! Crazy good!

Madison 95

Crown 2008 I remember this one catching me by surprise because I hadn't felt the "old volume" in quite a time since the change to Bb. I literally said "WHOA! Where did that come from?" I smiled afterwards because somebody had finally figured out how to get some volume out the B flats.

• Like 3

No disagreement on the ensemble sound, but the criteria was "best fortissimo plus moment." I don't remember one moment like that. Loud, yes. Loud by drum corps legendary standards? Absolutely no.

No part of his post gave the impression he was looking for a loudness contest. If that was the case, the SOA lines 78-81 or abouts would easily win.

His post was more about quality.

In that case, Cavaliers 2002 FF+ was by far the highest quality in the history of drum corps. As far as stuff like that goes, that type of tact and sound in the cavaliers setting, which was so anti-establishment at the time.... is breathtaking.

• Like 3

No part of his post gave the impression he was looking for a loudness contest. If that was the case, the SOA lines 78-81 or abouts would easily win.

His post was more about quality.

In that case, Cavaliers 2002 FF+ was by far the highest quality in the history of drum corps. As far as stuff like that goes, that type of tact and sound in the cavaliers setting, which was so anti-establishment at the time.... is breathtaking.

The OP's opening statement is "what are your favorite FF+ DCI brass sounds throughout the years?"

It's asking for an opinion. I gave it, and please note I didn't argue with the quality of the Cavaliers' brass in 2002. I loved it. However, I argue that its fortissimo moments are not comparable to legendary volume. Crown's volume and quality, on the other hand, is piercing and lush. It can be felt as much as heard. It's just a cut above.

• Like 4

In 1979, all you had to do was watch the staff members of the competing corps.

When SOA was on the field, they would temporarily occupy seats in the lowest rows.

Then they would move to the top rows for the rest of the show, to watch the pretty curvilinear drills.

• Like 2

I was not alive or present for the majority of the first 3 decades of DCI but here is my take.

70's-Scouts Slaughter show in 76 and Spirit in 79. Holy god that was beastly loud even for an old recording from a lap top!

80's-I would have to say 89 SCV's company front. That moment is ridiculous and was the first chill moment I ever got from a video of drum corps.

90's-Stars last few years and I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned but BD's opening statement in 96! HOLY GOD/ALLAH/BUDDHA/ZUES THAT WAS AT LEAST FFF.

00's-Hands down 07 cadets. Nothing has been close enough to be that loud and I saw that and CC 08 and there is no comparison. Cadets no how to peel skin off the body with volume :worthy:

11's-Blue Devils were loud at the rock out section after the trumpet double tonguing feature. And the resolve in Bloo's creep was pretty #### loud as well.

• Like 1

Cavaliers 2002 FF+ was by far the highest quality in the history of drum corps.

Out of 20 points allotted,the Cavs beat BD by 2 tenths in brass at Finals in 2002.

Edited by BRASSO