Any good workouts for ole' trumpet arms like me?

If you're able to lift, focus on triceps and lats. Likely, you're not seeing results because you're thrusting your hips forward to compensate for the weight. You won't get anywhere if your hips aren't properly aligned to your heels (not to mention staff will kill ya for it) so be sure you're standing with good posture at all times. Shoes over the bell work nicely. Also, run. Running will help everything. As will core muscle workouts.

• Like 1

Lots of my friends have been doing ankle weights just strapped around the bell for variable weight working up. Less smelly and possibly heavier than shoes.

An alternative to pushups to engage the muscles you'll be using is an exercise I stole from Insanity call a tricep dips. Basically, lay back on the ground like a crab walking position, supported only by your hands palm down facing straight forward and lift yourself by flexing your arms. For a little more resistance, you can lift one leg straight in the air.

But, yeah, as has been hit on by many people, the best way to be able to hold up a horn is to practice holding up a horn. Just keep working at it!

Holding the horn with PROPER POSTURE and at the PROPER PLAYING POSITION is the best way to build up the strength needed to hold a euph for long periods of time.

Push ups don't hurt, but the only way to actually target the muscles you will be using is to hold up a horn. DO NOT LEAN BACK. Not only will you never here the end of it from the staff, you will regret it later on in the season when you still can't hold your horn up because you never spent the time building your muscles in the proper position. It's also hard to march and play while leaning back.

You just have to fight the pain. It sucks. Even Bari sucks to a point. Horn holding parties were always fun after blocks... even the trumpets felt the pain at a whole horn line party. I know in the euph section we would go some where and just talk, and hold our horns. It helped distract the pain. By myself? I would watch TV. Listen to music. Listen to a drum corps show. Only put the horn down in between songs. if you can do it, only bring it down to a carry, or hold it up the whole show.

To be dicks... the staff will have you hold your horns up longer than that, but they are trying to get everyone past the point to where there is no pain, and it's comfortable.

Some people cry.. others scream...haha...

It's not easy, but it's not impossible.

Just be glad you don't have to hold your tuba up at a carry...

• Like 1

At my school, our euph/bari line is required to put 5 lb ankle weights onto the bell of the horn for the first few weeks. Then when you take off the weights, you won't ever have a problem holding a euph up (also if you have buddies who want to work with you, that always helps too).

Thanks for all the feedback!

I can assure you that I am using good posture, with elbows spread apart as they should and hips slightly behind my shoulders. I take pride in my attention to detail and pursuit of perfection. Sometimes I will hold my horn up and look at myself in the mirror to correct any visual issues that I may have.

Edited by Ch1k3n

be careful about thinking hips behind the shoulders, it can lead to a ghetto butt.

Ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, ears all in a perpendicular line to the floor (look in the mirror). Engaged abs (touch just below your solar plexus is it firm?) leading to a tucked in hip. Relaxed shoulders and arms especially when you get fatigued.

Hips are the trickiest. Imagine the top of your hips being the brim of a bucket filled with water, momma needs water to make dinner and you don't want to spill any. Ghetto butt spills water down your front. Lazy butt spills water down your crack, level makes your momma happy.

As for holding horn, work your tris, delts, and full back (trap, lats, ect) biceps might not be a bad idea as well. Ideally you want minimal use of your back muscles but as you get fatigued your body will start to rely more on your back muscles and if you don't have those worked up then you're just asking yourself for trouble.

Holding your horn is an endurance game so do as many sets of long slow reps until you fatigue try these every other day, you can do core and legs on the off days. You may want to consider whey protein for an immediate post-workout supplement. Make sure you are running if you already aren't it will help tremendously in the long run.

Edited by kaplac