Any good workouts for ole' trumpet arms like me?

Hello!

Not sure where exactly to post this, since I don't see a definite area where this type of post would go, so if its in the wrong spot admin please move it there!

I just want to know how I can get fit for drum corps on euph. I normally play the trombone for marching band and that takes next to no arms to hold up so I am by euph standards, extremely weak. I can only hold one up for a couple minutes at a time, and my goal is 15 at a time so I am wondering what sort of workouts or whatever I can do to grow some arms. I'll be using a King euph for marching band to prepare me a little for drum corps but as I said I've got twigs for arms right now and I want to get to my 15 minute goal by the time of next seasons auditions.

P.S. I don't think I can march bari because I simply don't have the chops for that kind of stuff.

Thanks so much!

the best thing to do is to get a horn and hold it up. You said there is a marching euph for you this fall? Is there any possibility you can get your hands on it earlier?

When I struggled holding up the bari (to be fair, at January camp my first year we stood at horns up for literally 22 minutes in a row once), they gave me exercises to do. They didn't work for ####. The vis guys were like "you didn't do anything to improve, blah blah blah." Then they let me take an instrument home and I improved tremendously in 3 weeks from holding it up everyday and the staff appreciated my work.

If you can get your hands on the horn, start practicing with it, add weights, lift some weights.

Honestly, a lot of push ups. And holding up weight at carry for periods of time. I'd hold my horn/a gallon of water during commercials in the off-season.

And if you don't think you have chops for baritone, there's always 2nd baritone!

Step 1: Get a euphonium.

Step 2: Hold it up.

Step 3: Do some pushups.

Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3.

Edited by contrajedi8
  • Like 1

Hold a dumbbell in front of you like a horn. When I went from saxophone to brass, that's what I did. Mind you I might of overdone being placed on trumpet and marching around with a 15-20lbs dumbbell for basics but I never dropped any horn they gave me from fatigue

tie a pair of shoes together and drape them over the bell while holding the horn up.

so I have a euph already and have been holding it up to play and a little while watching TV but not really as much as I should I guess. I have seen some results from doing what I have been doing but not much.

Usually I'll put the horn down when I'm shaking beyond the point that I can't make a note at all because I can't keep my mouth on the mouthpiece. Is it healthy to keep going, seeing how long I can keep it in the air while shaking like crazy? Or would that damage my muscles? (I know nothing about this. :thumbup:)

So how should I do this? Maybe hold the horn up and then rest for the same period of time then repeat? Just for starters like me.... just a thought.

Thanks for all the help!

well, I can tell you that visual staff members firmly believe in holding the horn beyond the point where you can still play it competently.

there is really not an important technique to how many minutes you hold it, followed by how many minutes of rest... just hold it until you can't hold it anymore, then (BEFORE YOU PUT IT DOWN) hold it another 30 seconds. Then drop it for a little bit. Then hold it again. Repeat forever.

Obviously if your rest break is 5 minutes, the next time you will be able to hold it longer than if your rest break was 30 seconds. Doesn't really matter.

Can you hold it up for a tv commercial break now? If not, start with X number of commercials, and build to the entire commercial break. Then flip it and build through the actual show, resting for the commercials. Then add holding it up for the commercials in the middle.

Again... the more you hold the thing, the better you will get at holding it. You don't have to worry about playing when you do this. This is your visual practice. It is different than music practice. If you do it with the tv, you will likely do it more, because it is really boring to hold the horn looking at a wall. The tv will keep your interest and not make it as hard to get yourself to practice.

• Like 1