Elementary drum corps

En929

I was wondering what kinds of drums could be recommended if I want to teach drum corps in an elementary school at around 5th grade. That is, I don't want the drums to be too heavy for the kids. So thus, what kind of brand can be recommended and where can I get them? Thanks

Edited by En929

Edited by ajlisko

I was wondering what kinds of drums could be recommended if I want to teach drum corps in an elementary school at around 5th grade. That is, I don't want the drums to be too heavy for the kids. So thus, what kind of brand can be recommended and where can I get them? Thanks

I teach at an afterschool program at an elementary school in NYC. Harold Barber former Skyliner and member of St. Rita's Brassmen Alumni also teaches there and started the program. It's a fife and drum corps that plays traditional as well as new music. The members start in third grade (about age 9) and they graduate at the end of fifth grade. The drums we have were purchased before I started. I don;t know a model number or name offhand, but I can tell you they are 13" Pearl snare drums. We start out with them on stands, but by late in their first year, we gradually move them onto carriers. We also have small triples (8", 10" and 12") which they can handle. Bass drums are used on stands. I have to say the kids handle the weight of the snaredrums and triples quite well. (As an aside, I even have one 'early-starter' a first grader who just turned 7, and he can wear the drum with little trouble.) The corps does not perform very often outside the school, so there is little marching/carrying involved.

The drums have a decent sound with clear Remo Pinstripe heads. I would recommend them if you have small students. They are regular double-tension, not free-floaters. If you are looking for something more substantial and with a more 'modern,' look and sound, Pearl also has small flee-floaters, but they are considerably heavier, from what I understand.

I hope this helps you.

Check out what the Blue Devils C Corps uses. A lot of the members are very young so they have to use smaller equipment; I just don't know what exactly they use.

I taught a primary school K-5 drum-bell corps with a small guard for 15 years.Average age was 7-9. Our "original" drums were old 10X14 single tension wooden hooped LUDWIG parade drums snares with REAL gut snares and single tenors painted blue with yellow hoops and used slings/leg rests. We later got a set 8 "THUNDER" drums made in China.They lasted 2 years very poor sound. We then bought a set of YAMAHA POWER LITES which worked great. We now had carriers instead of slings. I used REMO " GUT TONE" snares on them and they had a great sound. For what we did they were excellent. Light weight and didnt kill the kids backs.