A Return to Most Holy Name

An excellent article.....well written.........a reflection of a church and a corps over a long period of time. Monsignor Reilly celebrating a Mass in Maroon (purple) vestments on a day calling for white "in honor of our guests," but as the photos show, the corps is in WHITE (with maroon trim).

A great read (2 pages) http://www.northjersey.com/garfield/061012_Renowned_drum_and_bugle_corps_welcomed_home_for_Garfield_church_centennial.html?c=y&page=1

Joe Dz in NJ

Thanks for sharing this... my grandmother taught in Garfield elementary schools in the 1950s and years ago I showed her a corps picture and she pointed out about 10-15 faces of kids she knew. I am thrilled whenever those the ties between the church (and the city) and the corps are celebrated.

Thanks for the link, interesting history and also interesting to read how the church is dealing with changes in the area. Being flexible (not the best word) enough to add Spanish language services (which apparently took off) is a great sign. Dealt with this issue at a Protestant church and learned two things:

1) You can't keep the area the way it used to be.

2) Best thing your church can do is try to adapt to the changes. (doesn't always happen)