Dear DCI Percussion Caption Head

Ahhhh..the drum corps season has arrived. :satisfied:

Schick - I don't rsnt on here much, but being at the Akron show, and hearing what I did out of Cavies and Crown - the drum guy in the green shirt wasn'tin the same stadium as the rest of us.

• Like 2

Schick - I don't rsnt on here much, but being at the Akron show, and hearing what I did out of Cavies and Crown - the drum guy in the green shirt wasn'tin the same stadium as the rest of us.

Agreed, Vic. I don't argue judging, its like arguing balls and strikes in baseball. Cavaliers were clearly better in percussion than Cadets or Crown. I had Cavaliers and Bluecoats battling the high spot in percussion in Louisville.

Dear DCI Percussion Caption Head - or whatever they call you now.

The perc judge in Akron on 6/16 wasn't at the same show I was at.

Now before the "grenades" get thrown my way... I thought all shows in Akron were good. Conceptually and also design-wise.

Before anyone tosses bombs my way, I am a professional percussionist of 30 years, with 9 years drum corps experience. I currently judge marching band in three circuits, and fully understand the new DCI sheets.

Now for my "rant."

Percussion placement in Akron: 1). Cavies - 14.6; 2). Carolina Crown - 14.4; 3). The Cadets - 14.3; 4). Bluecoats - 14.2; 5). Phantom Regiment - 14.1; 6). Blue Stars - 13.3.

Are you friggin' kidding me?? Cavies and Crown had more fuzz on the field than all the dryer lint traps in the city I live in!!! Again - great shows, well designed - but really? Not to mention the very noticeable ensemble tear between font ensemble and battery during Cavies show and the judge was STANDING RIGHT FRONT OF THE PIT!!!

So - Mr. Percussion Judge (no need to name you here - it's on the recap), were you at the same show I was?? Physically I saw you there, however your audio awareness leave much to be desired!!

You might have a point. But lets say we give the Bluecoats first place in percussion in Akron, not fourth place. Lets say we give them first place in percusssion with a 14.7, a 14.8, or even a 14.9. That might make you happy as a percussionist that they won drums, but that 14.7, 14.8, or even a 14.9 still keeps them right where they finished overall this nite... 4th place. Plus, it just the first show. There's over 35 to go for judges to" get it right"re. the Bluecoats ( as well as all the other Corps ).

Edited by BRASSO

I agree with the overall placements, and usually don't play the judges are wrong game... but in this case I thought bluecoats had the best line followed by cadets. Crown should have definitely been 5 or 6 in drums IMO .....those drum scores are sort of boggling my mind (it would be like if they placed cavaliers 1st in visual and PR 5th) we will see what happens from here though, should be an interesting season.

• Like 2

I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I'm just saying that we're back in season, hating on the judges. I do it to! :tongue:

Edited by Schickmeister