Mankato Mayhem!

Was there a perc judge tonight? Scouts drumline is pretty solid this year, so I expect that to help them when they start getting read.

• Like 2

Also, I finally posted some photos from the Scouts dress rehearsal and practice last week in the Scouts thread, if anyone is interested in checking them out.

• Like 1

Scouts show is gonna kill this year when they get it cleaned up. More mature horn book that will require time to clean, but when it does, the little nuanced phrases will really sparkle. Wouldn't be surprised to see them catch Bluecoats. Have already closed the gap by a point and a half in 4 days.

One thing that I observed about Madison, and this is the honest to goodness truth, their sopranos are strong but maybe a little bit too strong. The balance and blend amongst the brassline has yet to be developed. The tubas and especially the middle voices need to bring out their parts in order for this brass line to impress me and that synth needs to be turned WAYYYY down. It's almost like they are compensating for the fact that they are only marching 16 contras instead of 20. Believe it or not, I enjoyed Madison's sound more in 2010 than 2011. One thing I think they need to do more is play on the move. It's not too hard to park and blow honestly, anyone can sound great in a horn arch and the same old mountain/sunset drill set is getting old (3 years in a row, really?).

Don't get me wrong, Madison is a great corps and they are strong as they have proved themselves in the past couple years, but I feel like they've done better.

Putting my personal opinion aside, congrats all the big jumps in scores tonight, wish I could have been in Mankato.

I'm a fan of variety and impressed with high demand shows that are executed at a high level. This is why Crown, Cadets, and Blue Stars are some of my favorite corps, because they expect a lot of out of their performers.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 2

One thing that I observed about Madison, and this is the honest to goodness truth, their sopranos are strong but maybe a little bit too strong. The balance and blend amongst the brassline has yet to be developed. The tubas and especially the middle voices need to bring out their parts in order for this brass line to impress me and that synth needs to be turned WAYYYY down. It's almost like they are compensating for the fact that they are only marching 16 contras instead of 20. Believe it or not, I enjoyed Madison's sound more in 2010 than 2011. One thing I think they need to do more is play on the move. It's not too hard to park and blow honestly, anyone can sound great in a horn arch and the same old mountain/sunset drill set is getting old (3 years in a row, really?).

Don't get me wrong, Madison is a great corps and they are strong as they have proved themselves in the past couple years, but I feel like they've done better.

Putting my personal opinion aside, congrats all the big jumps in scores tonight, wish I could have been in Mankato.

I'm a fan of variety and impressed with high demand shows that are executed at a high level. This is why Crown, Cadets, and Blue Stars are some of my favorite corps, because they expect a lot of out of their performers.

The "sunset and mountains drill" is actually a script "M", which is becoming a trademark move, similar to the fleur-de-lis (which made an appearance in nearly every show '94-2000).

As for the rest, they have slowly brought this corps along year by year from when they took over in 2010 to today. This show is technically more difficult and more demanding than the two previous, incrementally.

Honestly, I think they can go pretty far with this vehicle, all homerism aside.

• Like 1

One thing that I observed about Madison, and this is the honest to goodness truth, their sopranos are strong but maybe a little bit too strong. The balance and blend amongst the brassline has yet to be developed. The tubas and especially the middle voices need to bring out their parts in order for this brass line to impress me and that synth needs to be turned WAYYYY down.

I agree- Then again, every corps has 'their' sound (or at least many of them do) and in my opinion, Madison has always been treble-heavy (for my tastes).

I think pretty much everyone (that I've seen, at least) needs to turn their synth down. Or get rid of it; whichever is fine with me (call me a dinosaur, but I'm really not that old).

One thing I think they need to do more is play on the move. It's not too hard to park and blow honestly, anyone can sound great in a horn arch and the same old mountain/sunset drill set is getting old (3 years in a row, really?).

Again, I think this is something that can pretty much be applied to every corps I've seen this year. It seems like the only time the groups I've seen sound REALLY good is when they are standing still- albeit, it's June. That isn't unusual.

As for the drill set... yeah. Every now and again is one thing (kick-out endings for Phantom, etc.) but year after year... meh. Not for me (then again, I'm not special).

Just my 2c.

As for me- I don't understand the scoring this season. The shows that I have seen were not scored at all how I would put them. I would not put placements how the judges are... but I'm also not the most impartial guy in the stands (as I'm sure everyone else is :-P )

Sorry for the DP- I'm a slow typist.

The "sunset and mountains drill" is actually a script "M", which is becoming a trademark move, similar to the fleur-de-lis (which made an appearance in nearly every show '94-2000).

As for the rest, they have slowly brought this corps along year by year from when they took over in 2010 to today. This show is technically more difficult and more demanding than the two previous, incrementally.

Honestly, I think they can go pretty far with this vehicle, all homerism aside.

Interesting about the 'M'- I'll have to go back and look. If this is the case (and I'm sure it is) my only remaining problem is that it doesn't have the immediate recognition that a fleur-de-lis does, or a star, cross, etc.

I agree that Madison has come a ways in the last few years (anyone else remember '07?) and I agree that this show is technically more difficult and more demanding... but that doesn't mean I like it more. I actually like it less.

I would much rather hear a show with oodles of melody- a la last year or the year before. I've only seen them live this year once, but I just wasn't hooked by much of way they played, because there wasn't much melody. I also could have done without the Malaguena excerpt, but obviously that's a Madison thing.

Again, just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Sorry for the DP- I'm a slow typist.

Interesting about the 'M'- I'll have to go back and look. If this is the case (and I'm sure it is) my only remaining problem is that it doesn't have the immediate recognition that a fleur-de-lis does, or a star, cross, etc.

I agree that Madison has come a ways in the last few years (anyone else remember '07?) and I agree that this show is technically more difficult and more demanding... but that doesn't mean I like it more. I actually like it less.

I would much rather hear a show with oodles of melody- a la last year or the year before. I've only seen them live this year once, but I just wasn't hooked by much of way they played, because there wasn't much melody. I also could have done without the Malaguena excerpt, but obviously that's a Madison thing.

Again, just my thoughts.

Actually, there's a LOT of melody in this show...just much shorter passages or "quotes". There's Ice Castles, Way We Were, Malaga, Malagueña, and a few more. The only one the really play to any kind of fruition is Malagueña, and that is an actual show song woven throughout the program for this year whereas the others are mostly just melodic quotes. Personally, I think they've done a good job of weaving them in there, but that's the part I was referencing when saying that, once they clean it up, those parts will really shine.

Of course, the shout chorus of Malagueña kinda comes out of nowhere and catches the crowd off guard. I know from the videos I've seen, the crowd seems to really enjoy getting smacked upside the head with it! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Actually, there's a LOT of melody in this show...just much shorter passages or "quotes". There's Ice Castles, Way We Were, Malaga, Malagueña, and a few more. The only one the really play to any kind of fruition is Malagueña, and that is an actual show song woven throughout the program for this year whereas the others are mostly just melodic quotes. Personally, I think they've done a good job of weaving them in there, but that's the part I was referencing when saying that, once they clean it up, those parts will really shine.

Of course, the shout chorus of Malagueña kinda comes out of nowhere and catches the crowd off guard. I know from the videos I've seen, the crowd seems to really enjoy getting smacked upside the head with it! :thumbup:

I cannot argue with you- I've only seen the show once, and real life won't let me see it again for a while (looks like August at the earliest). I perhaps should have been more clear- I miss the longer melodies of days gone by. In the last few years, it seems that short 'quotes' and 'motifs' abound, but real substantial melodies and fully just playing a piece of music have gone away. I count that as a loss.

And you are correct- MOST of the crowd really enjoys Malaguena (sorry, no fancy 'n'). I simply didn't- I was very excited to hear Pictures, and it wasn't what I wanted. It will be interesting to see the show develop however. Hopefully a second listen will do wonders for my enjoyment of the show.

the brass book is way harder than the past 2 years for them, once it gets clean, it'll be amazing. theres just a lot going on right now and once they get everyone clear on their assignments, it'll sound awesome. Donnie VanDoren is pretty good at running a hornline :worthy:

and for the script M, pretty sure its supposed to represent the city of madison somehow an M with a sun coming up behind it (that was the rumor in 2010), pretty sure that's just an ending they put on. easy to clean and they've done it before, wait til they change things up. the atlanta show, is going to be nuts