Gordon Henderson and SCV

From when to 1999?

And I think he was involved in some way after 1999, perhaps as consultant? I remember seeing his name among the staff in the mid-2000s at some point.

I believe some time in the 80s, maybe '85 or '86? I know Gordon and Rick South (both amazing guys) were responsible for the Phantom shows, and I seem to think that they came on a little before that.

You know guys, SCV's website includes all of this information on their historical archives, you can pull up the full staff listing for any year.

This. If my source is correct, Henderson has been pulled in a couple of times in the middle of the Summer to re-write Poulan's brass book... I want to say 2005 and 2007, but don't quote me on that. Now, why Henderson and not Poulan for the re-writes? I don't know if Key was otherwise unavailable in July/August, if the corps management didn't trust him with the rewrites (seems unlikely, since they kept bringing him back as arranger/designer), or what.

I don't have the "Why" here, just the "What" and (if I can track down the emails from years and years ago) the "When"

If I remember right, he was asked to come and re-do sections of the show along with Key, because they just weren't coming together. I think both years, Key was writing for many corps, and couldn't come out all of the time to work with the corps, so Gordon came in to consult a bit. I don't think he's ever re-done an entire Key book mid-summer though. If they had to have someone re-write an entire book, I doubt they would have kept around Key for as long as they did

Edit: In perhaps the least surprising outcome in the history of time, I had things mixed up and was wrong. I knew as I got older years and dates and people and places would all start to blend together in my memory, I just didn't think it would happen so soon.

Oh well, you know what they say: senile ain't just a river in Egypt.

Wait...

:shutup:

I remember the commentary in 2002 said that Gordon wrote the opener.

He also consulted in 2005.

Just keep marching...

He's one of my mentors. One of those guys that should probably be in the Hall of Fame but will probably not make it. Gordon arranged for SCV from 96-99 as well as altered and helped out some of Gail's writing throughout the 80's. He also wrote the drill for a few years in the 80's. I'm not positive but I think 87 and 88. One of the few guys that can do both. The magic tricks from 87 to 89 were his ideas. He ran across a magician that wanted to be in the marching band at UCLA at the time and they experimented with some of that stuff there. He then brought those ideas to SCV. Gordon was still on staff after 99 until 2002 (until he was rehired in an emergency situation because of the brass staff quiting in 05). Gordon handed the reigns of arranging to Dean Westman in 2000-2002. Gordon composing the opener in 2002 was due to a rights dispute. Dean Westman (and I believe Gordon as well) was fired after 2002 from SCV. Rick Valenzuela wanted to go in a "new direction." (Which was down....they came in 5th in 03 after 3 years of 4th.) I still think that that firing was one of the biggest mistakes that Vanguard has ever made. They are still trying to recover. They had a consistent and good brass staff from 96 to 02 and hasn't had one sense. Oh well, Vanguard's loss was Cadet's gain. Glad it happened as I got to work with both of them at Cadets. BTW, Dean Westman is currently working with Bluecoats. I think that Gordon has finally retired after helping the Troopers make Finals.

• Like 2

Gordon composing the opener in 2002 was due to a rights dispute. Dean Westman (and I believe Gordon as well) was fired after 2002 from SCV. Rick Valenzuela wanted to go in a "new direction." (Which was down....they came in 5th in 03 after 3 years of 4th.)

And then 3rd in 2004.

I'd say more whatever happened after the 2004 season is what put SCV in a bad spot (their lowest placement in history in 05) that they have been fighting to overcome ever since.

He's one of my mentors. One of those guys that should probably be in the Hall of Fame but will probably not make it. Gordon arranged for SCV from 96-99 as well as altered and helped out some of Gail's writing throughout the 80's. He also wrote the drill for a few years in the 80's. I'm not positive but I think 87 and 88. One of the few guys that can do both. The magic tricks from 87 to 89 were his ideas. He ran across a magician that wanted to be in the marching band at UCLA at the time and they experimented with some of that stuff there. He then brought those ideas to SCV. Gordon was still on staff after 99 until 2002 (until he was rehired in an emergency situation because of the brass staff quiting in 05). Gordon handed the reigns of arranging to Dean Westman in 2000-2002. Gordon composing the opener in 2002 was due to a rights dispute. Dean Westman (and I believe Gordon as well) was fired after 2002 from SCV. Rick Valenzuela wanted to go in a "new direction." (Which was down....they came in 5th in 03 after 3 years of 4th.) I still think that that firing was one of the biggest mistakes that Vanguard has ever made. They are still trying to recover. They had a consistent and good brass staff from 96 to 02 and hasn't had one sense. Oh well, Vanguard's loss was Cadet's gain. Glad it happened as I got to work with both of them at Cadets. BTW, Dean Westman is currently working with Bluecoats. I think that Gordon has finally retired after helping the Troopers make Finals.

Not to take anything away from Gordon's awesomeness, but my understanding is the SCV magic tricks were the mastermind of the late-great Dave Owens. Myron wrote the drill in 87, and I believe Dave also came up with the pants change idea in 85-86.

Edited by mello916