Muscatine, IA - "Percussion on the Pearl"

Go, Blooo! Highest score of the season. And Madison Scouts! Nice!

• Like 1

Lol...or like a Hurtz Donut.

Actually, I was quoting John Candy from the Blues Brothers..."Who wants an Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips."

[/quote

I'll take a dos Equis flavor ice cold please. It's hot in Chicago !!

• Like 1

Nice jump for Glassmen and Madison!thumbup.gif

Nice move up in score tonite by the Glassmen... only 1 tenth in back of the Blue Stars tonite.

Madison doing well too, and this is great to see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Just got back to our hotel after going to the Muscatine show. Here's a brief summary of our great night.

Racine Scouts. Really hard to know what to say. Only marching 23 kids this year. 5 kids in the "Honor Guard" and 2 girls who stood completely still next to the 2 pit members. 12 horns, 4 colorguard, 4 bass drums, and 2 pit. This show was a little unusual. They start out with a staff member on the field, directing the honor guard. After the drum major salute, it would appear they do a preshow, since the staff member is still on the field, but they go from a percussion feature(the highlight of their show) to playing, so i guess what we thought was preshow was actually their opener. So I am really confused as to why they didn't receive a penalty. Drill is difficult only having 19 members marching on the field. Colorguard marched last number, but didn't have any movement or equipment work done for it. I was really surprised that they scored above 30 tonight. I really hope they take the 7 kids who aren't doing anything, and add them to the show. As it stands now, they are really pushing the 30 member minimum rule.

Legends is fairly small, only about 50-55 kids total probably, but they had a very nice sound for early season Open Class. I would say their performance was very solid. Nice drill, great sound, Definitely the best in Open Class tonight. I probably would have had them a little more ahead of Colt Cadets.

Colt Cadets, what a fun show. It is great to see such a young corps go out and have so much fun. Their show was called "Alive" and starts out with the guard lifting up black sheets to show 5 brightly colored "aliens" Great costumes on the 5 aliens, as they don't even look real, until they get up and you realize there are kids inside costumes. But until they move, you would actually think they were just stuffed toys, or mannequins. I am not sure how these kids would even breathe in these costumes during an extremely hot evening, as not only are they in full costume, but also covered by black blankets. These 5 end up being the cymbal line. Definitely the most entertaining cymbal line of the night. Overall a very fun show, although there were lots of horn and percussion issues throughout the show. A few rewrites and this could be one of the most entertaining Open Class shows at the end of the season.

Troopers. Musically a very nice show. It is worlds above last years show. Colorguard is still a weak point for them, as it has been for the last 5 seasons. Hornline had some great moments, but there were also some problems. Drill seems kind of forced, but hopefully they can fix that over the next few weeks. But overall a very nice show, and looking forward to seeing it end of season.

Glassmen. Opening statements were horrible. After the first minute of the show, I was wondering what happened to the Glassmen who used to make top 5, or even finals. Brass opening statement was all over the place. Murky, muddled, phasing issues. Luckily that didn't phase them, and the rest of the show, they sounded pretty good. Drill was nice, but not spectacular. I think it will be very difficult for them to displace someone to make finals this year. However it is early season still. With the lack of percussion and brass judges tonight, I would have probably had them just a tiny bit above Blue Stars. had there been percussion and brass judges, I think Blue Stars should have won.

Madison Scouts. When I first saw this show a little over a week ago, I wasn't quite sure about the arrangements. But I have to say with their intensity this season, it is really shaping up. We watched their rehearsal for a while this afternoon, and there was definite improvement. Hornline is definitely having a few issues here and there. Colorguard is maybe a little stronger this year than the last few years. This show has some great moments, and looked and sounded great overall. I just really wish they would close with Malguena. I think this would give them the push to possibly make top 6 this year. I don't foresee them beating Cavaliers once they get a full panel of judges. But definitely tied tonight with Bluecoats for crowd favorite.

Blue Stars. This show was really rough tonight. It looked like either they put in about half new drill, or else the kids were totally heat exhausted, because the performance was very rough. Probably at leat 4 different collisions, and it looked like at least 3 people slipped as well. Don't know whether it was rewrites, exhaustion, or just bad spacing in the drill. Musically it was a nice show, but could definitely use a few rewrites. I think without a couple of judges tonight, they were probably lucky to beat Glassmen, but I think once all the caption judges are present, they will probably beat Glassmen by a couple of points.

Bluecoats. Definitely my favorite show of the evening, even though going in I thought Madison Scouts would be. I am not sure if this show would be capable yet of medaling, but it definitely could easily make top 4. With proper changes, and cleaning, this show could possibly beat Cadets or Crown by end of the season. I haven't looked at recaps, but I would put them in first place in every caption tonight. I personally think this could be the best written/strongest Bluecoats show I have ever seen. I am really excited to see this show come August. This is probably my 2nd favorite overall show this year behind Boston Crusaders(which just goes to show how unusual of a season this is so far) I always love Bluecoats and Boston, but they usually aren't #1 and #2 on my favorites.

Overall a very nice night. Crowd was a little quiet, very little applause or standing ovations after shows. It was from what I understand the first year Muscatine has hosted a show, but with the small crowd tonight, I am guessing they may not have even broken even. So I wouldn't count on this show again next year. And while I guess I pointed out more negatives than positives in my review, I really did enjoy 7 of the 8 corps this evening. And I really hope the Racine Scouts can gain some more members before the end of the season. I know it is a tough sell when you only have 30 members, of which only 23 perform. I hope everyone else at the show had as great of a time as my wife and I did. I'll try to post more comments in the morning. 2AM here now. And I didn't mean to be so critical, but that is just what stood out this evening.

Hoping for good weather. Is tonight the night the Scouts catch the Bluecoats? We'll see!

I guess the weather did hold out. And the scores answered my question huh? Well done Bluecoats!

• Like 1