Madison Scouts 1971 songs

Listening again to 71 Madison at US Open I know all the songs with the exception of the beginning of the concert. Any alumni out there that could help? Sounds like a TV theme to start...

Kemo

Madison Scouts 1971 Repertoire:

Somewhere Over The Rainbow (from The Wizard of Oz)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road (from The Wizard of Oz)

We're Off To See The Wizard (form The Wizard of Oz)

Talk To The Animals (from Dr. Doolittle)

Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers

Some Day My Prince Will Come (from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)

Hi Ho (from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)

Yankee Doodle

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead (from The Wizard of Oz)

Madison Scouts 1971 Repertoire:

Somewhere Over The Rainbow (from The Wizard of Oz)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road (from The Wizard of Oz)

We're Off To See The Wizard (form The Wizard of Oz)

Talk To The Animals (from Dr. Doolittle)

Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers

Some Day My Prince Will Come (from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)

Hi Ho (from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)

Yankee Doodle

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead (from The Wizard of Oz)

That is the repertoire according to corpsreps, but I think I know the song in question. (It's not any of those listed.)

It's the number immediately following the "Yankee Doodle" segment.

Is it the one that almost sounds like it could be the theme from a tv detective show...similar in structure to "Mod Squad"?

Hopefully Dan Guernsey will see this and respond.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Listening again to 71 Madison at US Open I know all the songs with the exception of the beginning of the concert. Any alumni out there that could help? Sounds like a TV theme to start...

Kemo

The '71 concert was an original arrangement by Ray Baumgardt. One of my favorite concert pieces by Ray in the 70s was the Scouts's "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair" from 1970. That piece was quite advanced for its day. Ray was on top of his game with that arrangement as well as with the entire '71 show.

The '71 concert was an original arrangement by Ray Baumgardt. One of my favorite concert pieces by Ray in the 70s was the Scouts's "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair" from 1970. That piece was quite advanced for its day. Ray was on top of his game with that arrangement as well as with the entire '71 show.

Ray MUST have been influenced by the "Mod Squad" theme for that piece.

"Black Is The Color", from '70 really was ahead of its time.

Edited by Northern Thunder

THAT would explain the mismatch with CorpsReps. And YES Ray was ahead of his time with arrangements AND the 70 concert was fantastic. I loved it at US Open that year and when the little solo sop put his horn down and the sound kept playing and he looked at his horn the crowd went WILD!!! Thanks guys.

Corpsreps is a great resource tool but is not 100% accurate. FYI, there is a piece showing on SCV's 1971 rep that was played in 1972 and not even rehearsed in 1971. Still, a great site!!

"Black Was the Color of My True Love's Hair" has always been one of my favorite drum corps arrangements. It is moody and deep with great use of tone clusters to propel it along. The solo soprano work showed great control and musicianship. Who were those guys? Never having seen it performed live, I did not know about the choreographic sound misdirection from the soloists. I have the Fleetwood recording with the Racine Scouts on the front (? Best of the Midwest) which I would recommend to any collector of noteworthy drum corps recordings.

This discussion reminded me of my thoughts while listening to the Scouts encore in Whitewater last week.

The Scouts played 2 of Ray's arrangements (updated of course for the new instrumentation)- Never Walk Alone and Brian's song.

I saw lots of tears during both of those tunes. Ray could really find and express the emotion in the tunes he arranged.

"Black Was the Color of My True Love's Hair" has always been one of my favorite drum corps arrangements. It is moody and deep with great use of tone clusters to propel it along. The solo soprano work showed great control and musicianship. Who were those guys? Never having seen it performed live, I did not know about the choreographic sound misdirection from the soloists. I have the Fleetwood recording with the Racine Scouts on the front (? Best of the Midwest) which I would recommend to any collector of noteworthy drum corps recordings.

"Black is the Color" was a superior piece. It was based on an old Appalachia folk song from the early 20th century that had various permutations over the decades. I also liked the Scouts's "Cherokee" from '70 (Les Brown version). IMHO, Ray's creation of the "Madison sound" of the early to mid-70s is embodied in that piece. It seems to anticipate the Big Band sound of "Ballet in Brass" of '73-'74, though the Scouts had played it in '62, which was based on a Les Brown piece as well.

I have that '70 album as well. It's "Midwest 1970" (Fleetwood). It's like 4 vols that includes SCV, Kingsmen, and Troopers. That vol reveals the moment when SCV made its presence known in the Midwest in '70. Does anyone know the particular show of that recording? Brian?