5 ways to save DCI

1- Change the model

Country wide touring is killing the activity. Yes corps are doing it but at what cost. Gas is at an all time high and not going below $3 a gallon anytime soon. Insurance rates are sky rocketing.

1A Go regional. Set up the country in whatever regions you want. These corps perform in that region the first half of the year. Then tour in the next closet region. Southeast would tour in the Northeast, Northeast would go Midwest etc. Each region would have one wildcard corps that would go into the other direction. This does two things. It reduces the cost because now corps are spending more time together. They are in the same city so they can share cost. Larger discount on food purchases and gas. Possibly sharing travelling cost with the smaller corps.

1B Change the pay rate. Everyone gets the same amount for each show. But there are placement awards. I don't know what each corps get but how can a smaller corps compete with a corps that earns X amount more then they do. Please don't say it cost more to run Cavaliers then it does Legend. They both have cost that need to be met. Legends is in a more picarious (sic) situation becuase they don't have the alumni to help or souvie sales.

2- Reduce the cost of starting a corps

How would be for a corps to ask players to bring their own horns? How would that go over. I want to start a corps but can only afford drums, But then I need so many mallet instruments and accessories and stuff to get it on the field I can't buy uni's. Then theres leasing buses, a food wagon, vehicles for staff, hell paying what 5 horn people, 5 drum staff, 2 guard cherographers, (when did that change), drill writer, marching techs, program co-ordinator, Jesus H, no wonder no one starts a corps anymore. What would the minimum staff of a 40H 16B 6P 26G corps be? There has to be a cheaper way.

3- Advertise, advertise, advertise

Stop preaching to the chiors. In the 30 plus years there been a show in West Chester PA I think I've seen maybe 3 ads in the local paper here in Wilmington DE about 20 mins away. Never any TV or radio ads. But since the shows are usually sold out theres no need. BUT if you had 2000 seats and sold out at $15 but 3000 wanted to attended how much could you really charge. With more demand you can charge more. Also if you have more corps with regional touring you can defently cahrge more. But more people need to be aware of the activity. Maybe thats why hald the theatres are half empty each year. Something like that should be sold out, then have a 2nd showing on tape.

4- Expand the circuit.

I don't see an issue having an indoor corps. WGI is going to have something in several years because their already headed that way. What will this do. By going indoor and regional it lets you expand the time involved. You have field alreeady avaiable with over 100 indoor football teams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Indoor_American_football_leagues_in_the_United_States. Kids would be able to march on the weekends and not miss school. Your season could be from January to april to co-incide with the football season. Your corps could perform at these gamnes to earn money.

Bringing in woodwinds brings DCI in direct competition with Band. Alot of directos hate drum corps anyway. This might not help.

5- Get a Director with some real power.

The power needs to be taken out the corps hands and given to an independent authority. In every major sport the Commisioner is appointed by the owners with a set contract. This contract lets him tell the owners kiss my ### at times but lets him work for the benefit of the sport. Look at boxing without a central authority. Maybe thats why UFC is becoming more popular then boxing, at least in America.

• Like 1

Stop preaching to the chiors. In the 30 plus years there been a show in West Chester PA I think I've seen maybe 3 ads in the local paper here in Wilmington DE about 20 mins away. Never any TV or radio ads. But since the shows are usually sold out theres no need. BUT if you had 2000 seats and sold out at $15 but 3000 wanted to attended how much could you really charge. With more demand you can charge more. Also if you have more corps with regional touring you can defently cahrge more. But more people need to be aware of the activity. Maybe thats why hald the theatres are half empty each year. Something like that should be sold out, then have a 2nd showing on tape.

yes! I think a lot of people forget that nobody really knows what drum corps is... hearing about it, or seeing an ad in the paper says nothing about what the event will really produce. It seems that most marketing is aimed at band kids... I saw an electric billboard advertising the local show the other day... at had a picture of a cavie, the title of the show and the date....... If I don't know what that is, how the flam am do you expect that to interest me????????

DCI's marketing seems so lazy... it's not a money issue either. I have a studio, and if you give me $300 and I'll have a video 10x more intriguing than DCI's videos flashing up on every youtuber in the area of my home show! but noooo.

*breathes.... okay hit a soft spot there.

• Like 1

These kind of threads pop out so often, and have been for so many years....... I'm still trying to figure out why DCI needs saving.

Yes many corps have folded over the years..... and two just this summer have cancelled their tour, but most of the evidence I have seen lately points toward the organization as a whole remaining very strong. Hasn't DCI announced that their financial situation is good and very stable for the past several years? What is causing the alarm? Two corps that were either not properly run or got screwed over by a third party points doom for the rest of the corps? I don't think so.

1A - what evidence do you have for this? In my opinion, the national touring model is actually keeping the activity viable. With the current "demand" for drum corps, their are only a certain amount of shows that can happen.... spreading them out around the country to reach the largest audience possible makes the most sense.

1B - This is how it works now.... there are placement awards.

2 - This really is not a suggestion.... how do you make starting a corps cheaper?

3 - This is obviously a cmplex issue. Will more advertising actually bring more fans, or will it be wasted money? If you increase the price will less people attend? Each show in this regard needs to be treated differently and micromanaged with smart business sense to get the largest audience possible.

4 - I'm not sure many kids would go for this... maybe a few. But college aged kids probably would be a little too busy for year-round drum corps. This activity is a mjor commitment... we need an off-season.

5 - I agree this could improve DCI, but in a world where so much of the income comes straight from the participants, I'm not sure they would agree to it. Imagine if the NFL asked their players to pay to play football. You think they would ever listen to a word Goodell said then? (as if they even do now)

I know this post means well, but I think alarmist notions only increase negativity around the activity and can sometimes do more harm than good. If I was a new DCI parent just getting on DCP to see what's up, I may think that the activity is dying a slow death and wonder what I have gotten my child into. Or worse, what may prospective parents/marchers think if they keep seeing this kind of stuff? DCI in its current state is very stable and possibly just needs some tweaking.... not a complete overhaul of operations. I truly feel like the people in charge are working as hard as they can to keep the activity sustainable for a long time.

• Like 1

DCI's marketing seems so lazy... it's not a money issue either. I have a studio, and if you give me $300 and I'll have a video 10x more intriguing than DCI's videos flashing up on every youtuber in the area of my home show! but noooo.

*breathes.... okay hit a soft spot there.

If you somewhow have this ability for only $300, then please contact DCI!

2- Reduce the cost of starting a corps

How would be for a corps to ask players to bring their own horns? How would that go over. I want to start a corps but can only afford drums, But then I need so many mallet instruments and accessories and stuff to get it on the field I can't buy uni's. Then theres leasing buses, a food wagon, vehicles for staff, hell paying what 5 horn people, 5 drum staff, 2 guard cherographers, (when did that change), drill writer, marching techs, program co-ordinator, Jesus H, no wonder no one starts a corps anymore. What would the minimum staff of a 40H 16B 6P 26G corps be? There has to be a cheaper way.

5- Get a Director with some real power.

The power needs to be taken out the corps hands and given to an independent authority. In every major sport the Commisioner is appointed by the owners with a set contract. This contract lets him tell the owners kiss my ### at times but lets him work for the benefit of the sport. Look at boxing without a central authority. Maybe thats why UFC is becoming more popular then boxing, at least in America.

These two don't make much sense to me. Let's begin by looking at #2:

Everyone bringing their own horns is a terrible idea. You're going to have a corps with no contras. No one owns those things. You'll have 38 trumpets (all different kinds and mouthpieces), one euphonium and one upward-facing tuba. Good luck writing a book for that. Now, for a minimum staff, let's assume that each caption head can write the book. You need a drill writer who can tech visual (1), a brass caption head and tech (3), percussion head who can write both battery AND pit (hard to find) (4), a guard head (5), a visual tech (6), a brass tech (7), a battery tech (8), a pit tech (9), a guard tech (10). So you need a minimum of 10 staff members to ensure the kids get a great education and can compete at a similar level to other corps.

Now for #5, I don't like the idea of a commissioner. Drum corps is not a sport; it's a performing art. As such, each corps will have a completely different approach to entertaining. Having a unified approach determined by an outside source won't be an improvement over what we have now.

If you somewhow have this ability for only $300, then please contact DCI!

hahaha.... I have.

1B Change the pay rate. Everyone gets the same amount for each show. But there are placement awards. I don't know what each corps get but how can a smaller corps compete with a corps that earns X amount more then they do. Please don't say it cost more to run Cavaliers then it does Legend. They both have cost that need to be met. Legends is in a more picarious (sic) situation becuase they don't have the alumni to help or souvie sales.

. . . .

Couldn't agree more with these two points. Instead of sharing revenue based on some unscientific estimation of draw, give everyone an equivalent base appearance fee and then give cash prizes for placement ... like the PGA.

As for advertising ... that is probably my biggest beef with DCI. I know people think that this is a niche activity that won't ever expand, but I think that is untrue. Drum Corps is exciting, moving, creative, artistic, culturally invigorating, etc. You can't tell me there aren't tens of thousands of people out there that wouldn't love going to a drum corps show, if they only knew what it was. If ordinary people will pay a significant amount of money to go to the opera or a ballet or modern dance recital, you can't tell me there aren't some that wouldn't pay to watch a DCI show, even if they haven't participated in drum corps.

If the current smaller stadiums sell out, then move to a bigger stadium. I bet there are many college stadiums across the country that would allow DCI to move in for a reasonable fee. DCI needs to do a better job at marketing, and they need to do a better job at creating a promotional model that will allow people to taste DCI without paying an arm and a leg. And theater shows are not good enough. No theater show is even close to the experience of seeing a show live. If DCI can get more people in a stadium watching a live show, they will add a lot of new fans. Maybe they need to do some free or cheap exhibition shows, to widen the fan base. Not full competition performances, but give people a taste. There is a lot of untapped potential out there.

Edited by jasgre2000

... I know people think that this is a niche activity that won't ever expand, but I think that is untrue. Drum Corps is exciting, moving, creative, artistic, culturally invigorating, etc. You can't tell me there aren't tens of thousands of people out there that wouldn't love going to a drum corps show, if they only knew what it was. If ordinary people will pay a significant amount of money to go to the opera or a ballet or modern dance recital, you can't tell me there aren't some that wouldn't pay to watch a DCI show, even if they haven't participated in drum corps....

Really? I mean Really? Allow me to show you how "all" non drum corps affiliated people will read this:

I know people think that this is a niche activity that won't ever expand, but I think that is untrue. Competitive Square Dancing is exciting, moving, creative, artistic, culturally invigorating, etc. You can't tell me there aren't tens of thousands of people out there that wouldn't love going to a square dance competition, if they only knew what it was. If ordinary people will pay a significant amount of money to go to the opera or a ballet or modern dance recital, you can't tell me there aren't some that wouldn't pay to watch a

(see link), even if they haven't participated in square dance.
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more with these two points. Instead of sharing revenue based on some unscientific estimation of draw, give everyone an equivalent base appearance fee and then give cash prizes for placement ... like the PGA.

As for advertising ... that is probably my biggest beef with DCI. I know people think that this is a niche activity that won't ever expand, but I think that is untrue. Drum Corps is exciting, moving, creative, artistic, culturally invigorating, etc. You can't tell me there aren't tens of thousands of people out there that wouldn't love going to a drum corps show, if they only knew what it was. If ordinary people will pay a significant amount of money to go to the opera or a ballet or modern dance recital, you can't tell me there aren't some that wouldn't pay to watch a DCI show, even if they haven't participated in drum corps.

If the current smaller stadiums sell out, then move to a bigger stadium. I bet there are many college stadiums across the country that would allow DCI to move in for a reasonable fee. DCI needs to do a better job at marketing, and they need to do a better job at creating a promotional model that will allow people to taste DCI without paying an arm and a leg. And theater shows are not good enough. No theater show is even close to the experience of seeing a show live. If DCI can get more people in a stadium watching a live show, they will add a lot of new fans. Maybe they need to do some free or cheap exhibition shows, to widen the fan base. Not full competition performances, but give people a taste. There is a lot of untapped potential out there.

Marching might be a tough sell at some colleges. I know that Tennessee would be hesitant to allow for anyone to use the field during the summer; even the university's actual band gets to march on it only for games. If the price is right, maybe it could happen, but it might be a higher price than you expect.

...You need a drill writer who can tech visual (1), a brass caption head and tech (3), percussion head who can write both battery AND pit (hard to find) (4), a guard head (5), a visual tech (6), a brass tech (7), a battery tech (8), a pit tech (9), a guard tech (10). So you need a minimum of 10 staff members to ensure the kids get a great education and can compete at a similar level to other corps.

And that is assuming all of them can attend all of the camps and go on the entire summer tour!!!

• Like 1