5 ways to save DCI

Why do I continue to use examples. Maybe I over estimate peoples grasp of the situation..... smh

People say volunteer to help out. I work 50 hours, volunteered at the fire company for 35 years, have a daughterin college I got to pay for. When do I and most people have time to volunteer.

Donate, if I'm going to give money to a cause its going to be one thar benefits the most people or those that really need it. I'm not going to give money to a group of people that can pay thousands of dollars flying to practice and can afford to take a summer off. Yes I know everyone doesn't fly and are struggling to pay fees but my money goes to food banks and reading programs.

When I mentioned bringing their own instruments I was looking for a way to reduce the cost of start up. Without reducing cost their no future. Having budgers in the hundreds of thousands without a viable, stable income there is no activity.

I gave you a green-plus because I appreciate what you do for the good of mankind. I appreciate wanting to get the most bang for the buck for your contributions.

For me, I choose to give to this "charity" not because of their need, but because of mine. It is I who gets the beneft of the buck I contribute to this "charity". I give because of what it gives back, to me and to the kids who participate. I feel great giving the money because I know more band kids will get the thrill of hearing the roar of the crowd. That's all I need for my contribution (well, that and a guarantee of longevity of the activity).

Bully you for giving, and contributing, and helping mankind in many ways. And for buying a ticket to a drum corps show.

• Like 1

Really? I mean Really? Allow me to show you how "all" non drum corps affiliated people will read this:

I know people think that this is a niche activity that won't ever expand, but I think that is untrue. Competitive Square Dancing is exciting, moving, creative, artistic, culturally invigorating, etc. You can't tell me there aren't tens of thousands of people out there that wouldn't love going to a square dance competition, if they only knew what it was. If ordinary people will pay a significant amount of money to go to the opera or a ballet or modern dance recital, you can't tell me there aren't some that wouldn't pay to watch a

(see link), even if they haven't participated in square dance.

OK - you are off the DCI marketing team shortlist.....

Maybe you overestimate your own understanding of other people:

a) You volunteered as a fireman for 35 years; good for you! I know someone who has volunteered as a medical professional for a touring corps for the same amount of time; good for her! Question: Who is more noble as a volunteer you or her?

b) You donate money to help out a particular cause; good for you. I know someone who donates to a 501c3 major symphony orchestra; great for him. Question: Who is more noble in their donations you or him?

I did not mean to say what I do is better then anyone else's contribution to this place we call earth. My example was that while I enjoy this activity and people always and I mean always comment that people should volunteer, I do not have the time to do so for a corps. Would I like to, No I would LOVE too. It would be like a vacation compared to what I do now.

I was planning to start a small local drum line and color guard until I got a call saying my father drove into a house. I still have that goal, I just pray God gives me the time.

• Like 1

I know there are people on here who want to go back to drum corps as it once was, more corps, regional tours, small town shows, etc., but this would degrade the product. The only real solution is to continue on the path they are going down. Reduce the number of touring corps to a number that allows the highest quality of production throughout the activity. The corps at the top are pulling the activity to a new level of design and performance. The corps that survive move in that direction. If this means we end up with 10-12 super corps, so be it.

I know there are people on here who want to go back to drum corps as it once was, more corps, regional tours, small town shows, etc., but this would degrade the product. The only real solution is to continue on the path they are going down. Reduce the number of touring corps to a number that allows the highest quality of production throughout the activity. The corps at the top are pulling the activity to a new level of design and performance. The corps that survive move in that direction. If this means we end up with 10-12 super corps, so be it.

It would be hard for me to disagree more with this.

10-12 super corps - 1,500 to 1,800 kids participating. Total. Continent wide.....

There was a time when you had more than that in a single state or province. If this activity is too top heavy it will topple. The base needs to be strong for the top to survive. I don't buy the notion that high school marching band is the new Div 3. Many areas don't have it, and none of them operate during the summer. The elitist - "best of the best" model you are talking about will cripple the activity.

If we really believe the now-tired mantra of "it's for the kids", then make it about participation for as many kids as possible - not the egos of a few directors and designers.

I would be fully behind the regional model similar to the "state championship" program that I believe your high school sports teams use.

• Like 1

I did not mean to say what I do is better then anyone else's contribution to this place we call earth. My example was that while I enjoy this activity and people always and I mean always comment that people should volunteer, I do not have the time to do so for a corps. Would I like to, No I would LOVE too. It would be like a vacation compared to what I do now.

I was planning to start a small local drum line and color guard until I got a call saying my father drove into a house. I still have that goal, I just pray God gives me the time.

Best wishes for your Dad and your dreams, Blackstar....

It would be hard for me to disagree more with this.

10-12 super corps - 1,500 to 1,800 kids participating. Total. Continent wide.....

There was a time when you had more than that in a single state or province. If this activity is too top heavy it will topple. The base needs to be strong for the top to survive. I don't buy the notion that high school marching band is the new Div 3. Many areas don't have it, and none of them operate during the summer. The elitist - "best of the best" model you are talking about will cripple the activity.

The base consisting of marching bands numbers in the thousands versus the hundreds that existed when DCI started. Even just the competitive HS bands number in the thousands, let alone the non-competitive HS and college bands.

Personally, I want Open class to thrive, because I want to see as many corps exist as is possible. But, IMO the base of the pyramid are the thousands of bands.

Personally, I want Open class to thrive, because I want to see as many corps exist as is possible. But, IMO the base of the pyramid are the thousands of bands.

No doubt they help fill the ranks, where they exist. They don't exist here and from what I read, are under threat of budget cuts in many places where they do exist.

Furthermore - HS bands don't go all summer long, correct? Rather a different experience.

What would be wrong with having local corps and regional circuits? How would that hurt anything? I can think of plenty of ways it could help.....

No doubt they help fill the ranks, where they exist. They don't exist here and from what I read, are under threat of budget cuts in many places where they do exist.

Furthermore - HS bands don't go all summer long, correct? Rather a different experience.

What would be wrong with having local corps and regional circuits? How would that hurt anything? I can think of plenty of ways it could help.....

There are over 25,000 HS in the US...and over 90% are providing music education. Yes, it can get cut...and people need to be vigilant in towns where it is in danger of being cut.

As for summer...that is right...and I think that there should be a strong Open division for kids to join that want to compete in the summer at a lower level than WC.

When I say bands are the base...it means I elevate Open class to be the next level up...not that it should go away.

Don't forget, even Open class corps advertise for experienced band people, if you read the ads.

The issue for me is that in 2012 I just don't see there being local corps and circuits in large numbers existing around the country. It is just too expensive to operate, even at a local level, and I don't really see sufficient interest. Its not like the existing Open class corps are busting at the seams.

The issue for me is that in 2012 I just don't see there being local corps and circuits in large numbers existing around the country. It is just too expensive to operate, even at a local level, and I don't really see sufficient interest. Its not like the existing Open class corps are busting at the seams.

I have no idea how a local, weekend only - stay close to home drum corps is too expensive to operate when compared even to an Open class DCI corps. I'm working on starting up two such local corps, and it's tough, I agree. But given what we are facing, I can't even begin to imagine how you start up a touring corps anymore. It's certainly nothing I would undertake.

But I am helping with these two local corps. That isn't nearly as daunting a task, and would still provide a great experience for kids. If they want to springboard from there to DCI someday - great! But personally - I'm not even thinking about DCI. I'm hoping others might make the same attempt if they see it can work. Again - I don't see how getting more kids involved in drum corps could possibly bring opposition in this forum.