Cool mellophone or alto licks.

WoofInTheWoods

1986 Blue Devils -- about 18 measures after the kick a## soprano solo in "Channel One Suite" the middle horns have this VERY wicked lick!   Big time baby throwing moment for me.

1990 Crossmen -- mellophones first statement in the opener... not perfect but smooth!!!  I can listen to that over and over.

1986 Madison Scouts -- middle horns wailing at the end of the closer "Starlight Express".  BIG TIME CHILLS!!!!

1994 Magic of Orlando -- mellos lead part in the opener... very cool.

1989 Freelancers -- mellos (and french horns?) in the introduction / fanfare

1998 Vanguard -- mellos feature in the opener

Star of Indiana -- pick a year

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I played it:

The end of the High Brass feature in the first half of Check Mate from Crown 96. Marty McCartt really knows how to right the cool mellophone parts (and in the most ackward keys, hehe)

And of course.. anything I write for Carolina Gold :)

I agree with all of the above.

I would also like to include 94 Devils. Some amazing runs.

I remember 97 Phantom had a an arpeggiated lick, it went really high but then I think they cut it around DCM. That sucked, I always liked that part.

Cadets year after year have some wicked runs. (98 in the middle of the show).

Simple yet effective mello/ alto parts  I think would go to any Jim Ott arrangement. Tasty!

Spirit of Atlanta '80

Old Man River, the whole song. They were unbelievable.

hey, i was jsut listening to that  :D

Jim Ott's Alto lines were always phenomenal.  Possibly one of the most simple yet beautiful is the Half note descending line in the backfield section of "Let It Be Me" from the 1980 recording.  Mello's were up on High C's......just pure and beautiful.  Sounded like they were crying, and that night in B'ham, they were.  :(

Other than Jim's writing, Robert Smith loves to write for great alto lines.  Just like he loves to write great F-horn parts in his concert band lit.    

Wayne (Dev's) and Jim Primes writing (Cadets and Star) also stand out through the years.

Later, AA

• 2 weeks later...

Spirit 02...OMG!!!! The entire horn book is incredible, but Mark Fifer really outdid himself with the alto parts.. I just can't wait until the fall when we pull out the big guns at JSU :)

and my favorite alto solo- Gary Hopkins, Spirit 78( Higher and Higher)

Any Cadets and Star mello lines rule.

*sigh* if only I were 21 and not 32... :)