Becoming a DCI tuba-native trumpet player

Hello everyone,

I am a pretty "adequate trumpet player", played the upper split in Raiders, but I have a growing desire to play tuba in a DCI line, and ultimately in World Class. I am learning this year, and playing in marching band (college) the following year, and during that summer I plan on doing Raiders as a tuba because they will help teach me how to grow on it and everything.

How much effort would it take in order for me to have a shot at a DCI World Class Tuba line in about 2-3 years time? I really want to play tuba in a line, and I have a very strong work-ethic, so any advice/tips?

Thank you!

• Like 2

I made teal with about 4 months of training.

• Like 1

Really? That makes me happy. So will a year with my open class corps get me in good shape to make a world class corps? I especially love blue stars and blue coats...even though phantom is a dream. But probably too advance musically to get into lol...

• Like 1

Really? That makes me happy. So will a year with my open class corps get me in good shape to make a world class corps? I especially love blue stars and blue coats...even though phantom is a dream. But probably too advance musically to get into lol...

On tuba, you never know. There are a lot less native tubists in corps than there are native players (or relatively close, i.e. trombone to bari/euph) of other instruments from what I've seen, so you may be surprised where you could end up musically. Strength and visual ability (carriage, posture when halted both at playing position and horns down, not letting the huge instrument make you sacrifice technique, etc) is more likely to be the deciding factor when trying out for upper level lines. If you can bulk up and handle yourself visually and get decently solid chops (not virtuosic, but about on par with a good high school level) then you should be fine for most top 12 World Class corps.

Well I am quite small....5feet tall girl ~115 pounds but I can handle a full sized dynasty tuba from the corps no problem so visually I should be fine. I do own a huge tuba mouthpiece on which I can get a single octave c scale out of a big horn but that's not a huge start....

• Like 1

Well I am quite small....5feet tall girl ~115 pounds but I can handle a full sized dynasty tuba from the corps no problem so visually I should be fine. I do own a huge tuba mouthpiece on which I can get a single octave c scale out of a big horn but that's not a huge start....

Practice. If you can manage the horn, you'll easily get a spot in any but the best two or three tuba lines in World Class.

March and carry the horn like you mean it. If you can carry the horn, and move it right, a staff will teach you how to play it if you've got the right attitude. There are lots of tuba players who are great players, and not good marchers, and didn't make the cut, while players who aren't the best but handle the horn like a beast made the line every time.

Just try and move the horn and march with it the best you can. That will get you very far, and have the right outlook. But play tuba at least moderately well

• Like 1