San Antonio Review 2012

My flight was delayed so I missed everyone prior to Crossmen, which sucks in that I was hoping to get to see everyone twice, SA and finals week. This review will be a bit more candid than my last.

CROSSMEN: This is definitely the best they have been in a long time. The opening set of most of the continents and the standing cut out figures makes for an intriguing opening.I found myself waiting for the Fragile concept to be unveiled from there. Didn't really. They play pretty well and other than some drums to brass balance issues and tuning, I would have their brass/musical analysis above Blue Knights and Blue Stars. The show was paced well. The guard gets a bit lost because of their tan costumes, but most of the flags are beautiful to look at.

The animal skin section didn't quite work for the guard, but it did seem one of the few moments where I got a "world" sense to the show. The drumline is a bit rockus at times, and had a few front to back issues. The drill is strange in that is doesn't flow well. The guard has stages and the right voices are in the right places, but the craft of connecting and reconnecting all the pieces, especially drums and brass seems disjunct and not artistic in regards to flow and the basic elements of design. The performance level was very good most of the time. I would have them above Blue Knights, and Blue Stars in 11th.

BLUE STARS: The talent level in every section is good. The show theme is quite evident and is clearly displayed through props and guard costumes. I liked the first half of the drill a lot and then felt it became much less interesting. The guard is good. The brass strong, mostly under low visual demand. Pitch was a big issue many times. The drum line was good, but had a few rough moments. While the show flags play into the show

theme quite well, like the entirety of the show, I have seen it all before, many times. The arrangements were OK considering there are some stellar examples from the past of which comparisons can be made. Not to negate the fact that the corps is good, it just seems too safe conceptually and predictable. I would of had them above both Crossmen (though not by much), and Blue Knights (by several points).

BLUE KNIGHTS: It is interesting how the show goes from very odd, if not totally bizarre, to fairly accessible and drum corps-ized. The use of color of the guard uni and the guard flags is also interesting, though the red color at the end seemed to not be the right color at all considering the visual palate of the entire show. Like Blue Stars, the drumline has some great moments, and some less than. I can't say I find the writing particularly musical. The nod to Marty Hurley at the end of the drumline's first statement is touching, but doesn't fit at all. Some of the running and chasing bird moments are cool, but get old quickly. There are a few moves that aren't crazy amazing, but very well crafted. The brass were simply not good throughout. Pitch was constantly a problem as was feet in the bell sounds and articulation. The am not a fan of the arrangements. They seem written as if anticipating a weak horn line. The lack of brass demand bothered me in that they did not play much over the course of the show. When they do march drill, it is filthy. I would have had them easily in 13th if not 14th. Sorry. I tried to like and appreciate what they are bringing to 2012. Not buying it enough to see them as a World Class finalist and fear politics will prove me wrong.

SPIRIT OF ATLANTA: They started their show and I thought, "OK, here we go. This is clearly World Class drum corps." I loved how fresh and exciting their approach was to a theme that has been done. It was not predictable yet I felt at ease and totally pulled into the performance. The overall sound of the corps is terrific. Though maybe expecting some old school Spirit edge, the sound was round and big. I thought that other than one short spot in their closer, the music ensemble was pretty amazing and as good as several of the top six corps. The theme is extremely easy to follow, but as I stated before, not predictable or trite. Wow! do they have some soloists. There were several different solos and small ensemble that really delivered throughout the entire show. The guard is the best they have been since they last won guard and the drum and pit writing refreshingly musical and tasty. There is plenty of dirt yet to clean and I don't sense they are letting down any time soon. The variety is almost overwhelming. I am amazed that the brass in particular are asked to play so many styles, versions of legit swing, Latin, jazz, symphonic. I felt they should have been a place or two higher.

CAVALIERS: The show seems to be getting better. The drumline is impressive as hell. I don't get the show and the pacing is rough. The brass were the weakest of all corps I saw in my opinion. They just didn't blend and fundamentals of pitch, balance, and musicality was rough. I really dig the flags and thought some of the drill moves were great. Would have had them down a spot.

BOSTON CRUSADERS: I had heard they were extremely clean in all captions. While I thought they were one of the cleaner corps, they still have plenty to do. They do a great job of setting up the theme in their preshow with soloists placed in different corners of the field. The guards opening flag is cool and adds to the Titans feel. Though having thematic icons in the show, it seems the corps' objective for 2012 was to march, spin, and play a well designed, tidy program. All captions seem equally good and able to handle the demands placed on them. The pacing of events is great and everything seems clearly in its place. They just seemed flat to me. There are things yet to fix and I am sure they will get to them. I kept wanting more, something to jump out, to be different. Because of the lack of variety and not selling their show convincingly, I would have had Spirit over them.

MADISON: I really like the swagger and the overall concept. The tuba feature is pretty great and the ending is fantastic. They are one of the cleanest corps visually except the color guard. All that said, unlike the masses, I am not in love with the show. In love with the performance communication qualities . . .sure. The guard seemed to have a rough night and I do not find them well-integrated into the production except for a few places. but in those spots, they hardly spin or dance. I personally do not think most of the brass arranging to be done well. Beyond a measure of two, the layering of tunes is forced and obstructs both. I was always taught to separate musical ideas to creat clarity. Much of their's are written in the same octave/range so you have to work hard to hear things. When playing the original music alone, it works quite well. I also found the drum writing to be pretty a-musical fairly often and extremely similar to Glassmen's drum book from 1998. Though I too have been pulling for Madison to get back to where they once were, their show just seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors to me. And how about the use of synth, sorry can't help my next line, but I keep thinking they should change their name to the Madisynth Scouts. Please turn it down if not off. The biggest over use of synth support of anyone. I would have them behind Crusaders and Spirit but ahead of Cavies.

BLUECOATS: The play great. March well. Spin well. I like this year's show much better than last year's and find some of the masque images and music to be clever. The flags are the best in the activity this summer.

I think the ending leaves you a bit short. Well done and in the right spot in my opinion.

SCV: Yes, I am a homer. I love the show and feel it is really starting to sell. All captions are strong with the percussion of course being a real strength. Lots of cleaning yet to do. Can the guard uni be altered a bit to make it look less like PJs? There is some musicality yet to explore and the very end needs a tweak or two. I am eager to see where this goes. Depending on everyone else and their own ability to clean, I see them any where between 7th and 3rd.

CADETS: I applaud them for winning and then taking a risk the following year. Something I wish Cavies would have done more often. All sections are just great and as usual, demand is not something they are missing. The opening is pretty exciting and as drum corps as you can get. After the opening, I especially liked the ballad and closer. They are a bit dirtier than expected, but I a sure that will be addressed. Not sure if this will be 3rd or 4th.

PR: Simply great and as PR as you can get. Clean Clean Clean and big, bold, and classic. The brass were the loudest of the night and made some wonderful musical statements. The drill is super musical and the guard my favorite of the evening. The drumline had some dirt and some parts I think they need to look at from a musicality standpoint. I thought their placement was deserved.

CROWN: Unbelievable. I loved it and can't wait to see it again. Got to get drumline and drill cleaned. Lots of room to grow. Would have had them in 1st by a small margin.

BD: Weird. Great performers.Weird. Great performers.Weird. Great performers.Weird. Great performers.Weird. Great performers.Weird. Great performers.Weird. Great performers. Would have had them in 2nd. Think they have no room to grow that would be noticable. Different performances on different nights will be their biggest variable at this point.

Edited by yellvanguard
  • Like 3

Thanks for the very candid review. I actually think you are SPOT ON regarding Madison, though at least the last minute helps salvage the show. Also, I think I agree with almost everything you had to say for corps 9th-2nd. Re BD, it's like 2 shows for me. Loved it musically, hated it visually.

Harvey

excellent review...but...really...how did you feel about BD?

:tongue: