How many shows do you hate this year?

The point of the thread was to highlight how great the shows were this year. I thought that was obvious. And while new, I have been here long enough to know that there are plenty of people here that dislike certain shows, regardless of how big of fans they are. In fact, that seems to be all that people talk about.

It's all in how you frame it, but no, it wasn't obvious at all. Whatever you intended, you came across as rude and got pushback for it. We all make mistakes. Learn from it. You might try avoiding starting new threads until you have a better feel for which buttons to avoid pushing from which angles, because rude thread titles are sure to get a lot more negative replies.

:poke:

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

It's all in how you frame it, but no, it wasn't obvious at all. Whatever you intended, you came across as rude and got pushback for it. We all make mistakes. Learn from it. You might try avoiding starting new threads until you have a better feel for which buttons to avoid pushing from which angles, because rude thread titles are sure to get a lot more negative replies.

:poke:

Teach me then. How on earth could you not tell that my initial post was meant to be positive about this years shows? Or maybe it is that you didn't even bother to read beyond the headline.

Teach me then. How on earth could you not tell that my initial post was meant to be positive about this years shows? Or maybe it is that you didn't even bother to read beyond the headline.

Because when you post a headline like that, sometimes that is all people read. I went through your entire opening post, but still throwing around words like "hate" really gets under people's skin. There is nothing wrong with being positive about this year's shows, that's kind of the point, is to find positive things in every show, but you have to set up your thread title and tone in that manner. Just trying to help out. It's good to have new people on here, but posting etiquette is important around here, or else you risk getting reported/banned

• Like 1

Because when you post a headline like that, sometimes that is all people read. I went through your entire opening post, but still throwing around words like "hate" really gets under people's skin. There is nothing wrong with being positive about this year's shows, that's kind of the point, is to find positive things in every show, but you have to set up your thread title and tone in that manner. Just trying to help out. It's good to have new people on here, but posting etiquette is important around here, or else you risk getting reported/banned

If people don't even bother to read beyond the headline, why should I care what their reaction is? I don't see how anyone who read the entire post would come to the conclusion that I was trying to bash any corps or offend anyone. In fact, I specifically suggested that people don't post the names of the shows they disliked to avoid starting a bashing contest.

If this is all motivated because I used the word "hate" instead of something else, then forgive me for finding that incredibly silly and juvenile. People use the word "hate" all the time in the ordinary course of conversation without meaning it in its most extreme form.

I'll get off my soapbox now and let this thread die. Needless parsing of semantics is a pet peeve of mine.

If people don't even bother to read beyond the headline, why should I care what their reaction is? I don't see how anyone who read the entire post would come to the conclusion that I was trying to bash any corps or offend anyone. In fact, I specifically suggested that people don't post the names of the shows they disliked to avoid starting a bashing contest.

If this is all motivated because I used the word "hate" instead of something else, then forgive me for finding that incredibly silly and juvenile. People use the word "hate" all the time in the ordinary course of conversation without meaning it in its most extreme form.

I'll get off my soapbox now and let this thread die. Needless parsing of semantics is a pet peeve of mine.

And needless condescension is a pet peeve of mine. You're mostly speaking to people older than you, so don't act like you know more than them. If you didn't think people would react to what you posted, you shouldn't have posted in the first place. This is a discussion forum, you're going to get positive and negative reactions to everything. But when you take pot shots at people, saying the "PC police" are in a thread, is stupid. People were saying there were no corps that they hated or disliked this year. That's great, that's the way DCI should be.

• Like 1

And needless condescension is a pet peeve of mine. You're mostly speaking to people older than you, so don't act like you know more than them. If you didn't think people would react to what you posted, you shouldn't have posted in the first place. This is a discussion forum, you're going to get positive and negative reactions to everything. But when you take pot shots at people, saying the "PC police" are in a thread, is stupid. People were saying there were no corps that they hated or disliked this year. That's great, that's the way DCI should be.

You have no idea how old I am. And I can show you several veteran and respected posters here that used the word "hate" when describing a drum corps show, so excuse me for getting a little annoyed at being lectured over this just because I am new and don't have the drum corps experience you have.

Edited by jasgre2000

It's time for another Good Idea/Bad Idea!

Good Idea: Asking people to post positive comments in a thread titled "How many shows do you love this year?"

Bad Idea: Asking people to post positive comments in a thread titled "How many shows do you hate this year?"

The end.

• Like 4

The end.

I love me some Animaniacs! Great show! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good Idea: Asking people to post positive comments in a thread titled "How many shows do you love this year?"

Bad Idea: Asking people to post positive comments in a thread titled "How many shows do you hate this year?"

The end.

But the point of my post was to highlight how few shows were not liked, not the handful of shows that people did like. I realize now this was a fools errand, as people would have just said "all of them" if I asked how many shows people loved this year.

Despite these silly semantic debates, I think most people would agree that there are very few subpar shows, from a design standpoint, on the field this year.