Drum corps/Marching Band in the Olympics

In addition to the "number of participating countries" rule, the IOC also has limits on the number of athletes at the Olympics. I mean it's a lot for a host city to build an Olympic village as it is. Could you imagine having to house roughly 1,000 more people. I could see Winter Guard being more realistic than DCI/Marching Band. The rhythmic gymnastics routines are quite similar to something you'd see in WGI (they even use hula hoops). Most games are going to have multiple indoor venues that could probably accommodate a WGI experience and you don't have the numbers or equipment (instruments) involved with the shows. Plus, could you imagine the medal ceremony for drum corps? It would take FOREVER to pass all of those medals out. The podium would be HUGE!!!

I think another great debate would be if it was in the Olympics, how would you determine the US team? Choose the winning group from WGI (or another trial championship), or have a huge tryout for individuals to make the team?

I have two words for you: Gym floors.

I have another word: Schools

But in all, I'm not sure this will be an overly huge problem. They'll find a way to take in the drum corps/marching band groups (as they always do), just as Drum corps and the Olympics was going on at the same time in Atlanta in the Summer of 1996. There are groups that volunteer to take in Olympic participants, etc.