Drum corps/Marching Band in the Olympics

I think there should be a competitions for the drum corps and/or marching bands around the world in the Olympics. I mean why not? They have many of the other sports.

Edited by En929
  • Like 4

The Cadets opened the winter Olympics some time ago. That was neat.

The Cadets also participated in either the opening or closing ceremony of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. They chased a comedian around the field. It was rather disappointing.

The Cadets opened the winter Olympics some time ago. That was neat.

George Washington had an apple shot off his head after it fell there after he discovered gravity.

...oh wait, i got that all mixed up..

The 27th Lancers did the Winter Olympics in 1980 in Lake Placid NY

The Cadets did the CLOSING ceremonies of the Summer Olympics in Atlanta in 1996.

As for the OP...... I think America would win :tongue:

I think there should be a competitions for the drum corps and/or marching bands around the world in the Olympics. I mean why not? They have many of the other sports.

Marching band/drum corps is something that is fairly exclusively American. There are a few drum corps in Europe and Asia, but nothing like what they have scholastically in the US or independently with drum corps (or winter guards). I'm hoping to see some kind of brass band either at the opening or closing ceremonies for this year's Olympics, but marching arts would probably not have enough participants to qualify as an Olympic event.

I don't know about putting competitive marching band into the Olympics as a sport [i'll let that discussion play out], however...

The next time that the United States hosts an Olympics, I would think that some of the major DCI corps should try and get involved in the opening ceremonies. The history of drum corps is just so tied into the history of this country as a whole, it seems a perfect match. I know the LA '84 games had opening ceremonies involving a drum corps/marching band, and if I remember, the video was awesome!

(Yes, epic!)

Drum corps is just so quintessentially American, but since I have been alive (meaning the Atlanta and Salt Lake City games) I don't think there has been much drum corps on display in our opening ceremonies. [Edit - I stand corrected, apparently. Can anyone find me a video of the Cadets in Atlanta? That sounds awesome.] That seems a dreadful shame, in my opinion. How great would it be if, for example, DCI worked out a deal with the Olympic Committee that the winning corps from the year prior to the Olympics got to open the Games? It would not only be a great way to display what we do at DCI, but also to display a wonderful American tradition and some awesome music, as well!

[Although, upon further thought, if the next American Olympics is a Summer Games, it could interrupt the DCI season, but I'm just spitballing here...]

Personally, I just think this is something that DCI should actively pursue with the USOC, because it would be SO COOL!

Edited by Some Random Drummer
  • Like 3

Rather than compete - be hired to entertain at various event venues. It's all about exposure AND making ze monies!

with the millions spent on productions I dont think a brassy 150 person ( which will seem to most ) marching band would cut it..each 4 years productions are more and more over the top. I have a friend that worked on one of the olympics productions and its intense as well as under the direction of a few who dont want suggestions...just do as I say enviorment..then get off...time factor alone is challenging for a drum corps...maybe a drum corps or MB can be used within a production...bet BD entertainment would have a handle on some of those things

Edited by GUARDLING

I don't know about putting competitive marching band into the Olympics as a sport [i'll let that discussion play out], however...

The next time that the United States hosts an Olympics, I would think that some of the major DCI corps should try and get involved in the opening ceremonies. The history of drum corps is just so tied into the history of this country as a whole, it seems a perfect match. I know the LA '84 games had opening ceremonies involving a drum corps/marching band, and if I remember, the video was awesome!

(Yes, epic!)

Drum corps is just so quintessentially American, but since I have been alive (meaning the Atlanta and Salt Lake City games) I don't think there has been much drum corps on display in our opening ceremonies. [Edit - I stand corrected, apparently. Can anyone find me a video of the Cadets in Atlanta? That sounds awesome.] That seems a dreadful shame, in my opinion. How great would it be if, for example, DCI worked out a deal with the Olympic Committee that the winning corps from the year prior to the Olympics got to open the Games? It would not only be a great way to display what we do at DCI, but also to display a wonderful American tradition and some awesome music, as well!

[Although, upon further thought, if the next American Olympics is a Summer Games, it could interrupt the DCI season, but I'm just spitballing here...]

Personally, I just think this is something that DCI should actively pursue with the USOC, because it would be SO COOL!

Thank you :bigsmile: