Drum corps/Marching Band in the Olympics

Marching band/drum corps is something that is fairly exclusively American. There are a few drum corps in Europe and Asia, but nothing like what they have scholastically in the US or independently with drum corps (or winter guards). I'm hoping to see some kind of brass band either at the opening or closing ceremonies for this year's Olympics, but marching arts would probably not have enough participants to qualify as an Olympic event.

Um, have you seen any of the marching bands or drum corps to come out of Japan? I'm pretty much they could wipe the floor with most marching band and some drum corps programs.

I think the Philippines have gotten pretty into the whole drum corps thing, or so I've been hearing.

And DCE is doing pretty well for itself, there are corps from all over Europe that compete in that.

• Like 1

Thank you :bigsmile:

You're welcome, I guess. smile.gif

Random question - let's say a major US city (Chicago, for example, since that was in the voting last) gets to host the...2020 Olympic Summer Games, and the US Olympic Committee has decreed they want junior drum corps from DCI involved in the production of the Opening/Closing Ceremonies!

What would happen, in terms of scheduling? The Summer Games are held right in the middle of the season. Would corps take the time away from the competitive schedule to be involved? Not every corps could possibly be invited [or maybe they could be! devil.gif] so it's not as though the tour would stop for everyone, just the few invited. How would the corps deal with that? I'd like to think that the lucky corps would go for the opportunity to support their country, but given how packed the tour schedule is...I dunno. What are your thoughts?

Random question - let's say a major US city (Chicago, for example, since that was in the voting last) gets to host the...2020 Olympic Summer Games, and the US Olympic Committee has decreed they want junior drum corps from DCI involved in the production of the Opening/Closing Ceremonies!

What would happen, in terms of scheduling? The Summer Games are held right in the middle of the season. Would corps take the time away from the competitive schedule to be involved? Not every corps could possibly be invited [or maybe they could be! devil.gif] so it's not as though the tour would stop for everyone, just the few invited. How would the corps deal with that? I'd like to think that the lucky corps would go for the opportunity to support their country, but given how packed the tour schedule is...I dunno. What are your thoughts?

cadets have done it and if I remember correctly it did hurt them competition wise..they did miss a good chunk of the season and was briefly on behind an announcer....was it worth it? have to ask those involved I suppose many would say yes some might say no......did it help drum corps...hmmmm i dont think so other than other drum corps people took notice

Well, the opening ceremonies are tomorrow, and the closing ceremonies will be on August 12. That would line up pretty well with the DCI tour actually, since a corps could perform at both opening and closing ceremonies without missing much or any of tour

Well, the opening ceremonies are tomorrow, and the closing ceremonies will be on August 12. That would line up pretty well with the DCI tour actually, since a corps could perform at both opening and closing ceremonies without missing much or any of tour

actually not true it took alot of time away when cadets did it...prep time and I really cant remember but there were other things that took them away because of it....taking time at this point COULD be deadly to a corps

Edited by GUARDLING

I would be less concerned about the dates of performance, as the transportation (and cost incurred as a result) and preparation necessary for these sorts of productions.

actually not true it took alot of time away when cadets did it...prep time and I really cant remember but there were other things that took them away because of it....taking time at this point COULD be deadly to a corps

Okay, I wasn't sure. Didn't really seem to harm the Cadets much, didn't they end up in 3rd even with doing the Olympics? I was just looking at the schedule, and how it would align with shows.

Which is why you choose one or the other ;) I went to finals 2010 because it didn't conflict with my beloved folk festival and btw I love the Olympics for it's Pageantry and Sport!

I would be less concerned about the dates of performance, as the transportation (and cost incurred as a result) and preparation necessary for these sorts of productions.

Well, for transportation, let's say the Olympics are in Chicago, and Finals are still in Indy. That's not as far as you'd expect. I know there are corps who bus the entire corps to Chicago O'Hare to fly them home. If they signed on to do the closing ceremonies, then they could just bus over to Chicago after Finals. I know that it would be tons of time that they could be working on their shows, and everything else, but this is all a hypothetical situation

Okay, I wasn't sure. Didn't really seem to harm the Cadets much, didn't they end up in 3rd even with doing the Olympics? I was just looking at the schedule, and how it would align with shows.

really dont remember , was so long ago...but do remember cadets struggling..guess its all relative...3rd is great to some not so great to others , especaiily if you could be 1.....lol