March my age-out?

Okay, so I am 20 years old. Next summer will be my age-out year as far as division 1 drum corps goes. I really want to march my last season but I'm not so sure that it's really a smart idea. I currently work as a visual and high brass instructor in Northern Indiana. When the 2013 season rolls around I will have no issue paying for it seeing that I have been really good with the money I've earned lately. I would really hate to leave my instructor position at this school while also losing out on making money and spending just about all I have. On the other hand, it's my last season! I'm in music education so I feel that it's also good for my experience. Lastly, I would have to mention that I have already marched more than one season of drum corps. I change my mind every day it seems and I can't really talk to most around me so I was wondering what the experienced DCP would suggest. Thanks for your help.

Do it! There will be other teaching positions, and your experience in drum corps will help you there. I know I was able to land teaching jobs because of my experience in drum corps

Never miss the opportunity if it exists. I'm sitting at home, missing my age-out, and hating my life because of it. I would give anything to be out there, and if you want to do it, go do it. Don't skip the chance, or else you'll always be stuck wondering if you should have or not.

Do it! There will be other teaching positions, and your experience in drum corps will help you there. I know I was able to land teaching jobs because of my experience in drum corps

Never miss the opportunity if it exists. I'm sitting at home, missing my age-out, and hating my life because of it. I would give anything to be out there, and if you want to do it, go do it. Don't skip the chance, or else you'll always be stuck wondering if you should have or not.

But I keep thinking about what I may need my money for in the future. Things like a down payment on a car or something... I don't want to spend all my money and then realllllly need some day before I get a steady job. I just can't help but also thinking about how every season I wish I were out there performing. Tough situation.

But I keep thinking about what I may need my money for in the future. Things like a down payment on a car or something... I don't want to spend all my money and then realllllly need some day before I get a steady job. I just can't help but also thinking about how every season I wish I were out there performing. Tough situation.

But if you can land another teaching job somewhere, after you get marching experience, then you can make money. Many programs would love to have kids with DCI level experience on their teaching staffs.

Just do it. You're going to appreciate the experience more than the money you spend. You're going to spend more time thinking about your memories of marching and the experience than the money you spent on it.

Okay, so I am 20 years old. Next summer will be my age-out year as far as division 1 drum corps goes. I really want to march my last season but I'm not so sure that it's really a smart idea. I currently work as a visual and high brass instructor in Northern Indiana. When the 2013 season rolls around I will have no issue paying for it seeing that I have been really good with the money I've earned lately. I would really hate to leave my instructor position at this school while also losing out on making money and spending just about all I have. On the other hand, it's my last season! I'm in music education so I feel that it's also good for my experience. Lastly, I would have to mention that I have already marched more than one season of drum corps. I change my mind every day it seems and I can't really talk to most around me so I was wondering what the experienced DCP would suggest. Thanks for your help.

Would you have to quit your job? If so, then I would think about it very carefully before you do so. The economy is not good, and if you have a job you like, leaving it right now would be a risky choice.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but I can see why you wouldn't. I turned down a job offer I got a few months ago, despite having looked for a job for the last 2+ years. It just wasn't the best fit for me, and luckily things have ended up working out. I think a lot of times you just have to really study things out and then go with your gut.

Edited by jasgre2000

But if you can land another teaching job somewhere, after you get marching experience, then you can make money. Many programs would love to have kids with DCI level experience on their teaching staffs.

Just do it. You're going to appreciate the experience more than the money you spend. You're going to spend more time thinking about your memories of marching and the experience than the money you spent on it.

Key word being "IF". In case you didn't notice, the job market isn't great right now. Including the market for music educators ... a lot of art programs are being cut right now.

And didn't he say he already has marching experience?

Edited by jasgre2000

Key word being "IF". In case you didn't notice, the job market isn't great right now. Including the market for music educators ... a lot of art programs are being cut right now.

Yeah, but the field for kids in college getting jobs teaching and teching at high schools is much better. I'm going into music education, so I know how rough the field is. But I also know that the three schools I will be teaching at this fall really appreciate my years of DCI experience, and it helped in getting hired.