Electronics Equipment

We know what kind of horns and perc they are using.... let's talk specific electronics equipment.

What kind of wireless equipment? What amps? Speakers? Boards?

Let's learn.

If the corps is using yamaha drums/brass, then they're most likely using Yamaha audio equipment.

I know the Cadets use a Yamaha 01V yamaha mixer (digital), yamaha passive speakers (i can't remember if they had Crown amps or not), yamaha motif XS synth and a Xylosynth (with a yamaha motif rack module). They also have a couple smaller analog personal mixers throughout the pit.

Most corps seem to be using passive speaker setups, Teal Sound was the only corps I've seen who had powered speakers.

If the corps is using yamaha drums/brass, then they're most likely using Yamaha audio equipment.

I know the Cadets use a Yamaha 01V yamaha mixer (digital), yamaha passive speakers (i can't remember if they had Crown amps or not), yamaha motif XS synth and a Xylosynth (with a yamaha motif rack module). They also have a couple smaller analog personal mixers throughout the pit.

Most corps seem to be using passive speaker setups, Teal Sound was the only corps I've seen who had powered speakers.

I insisted on that when we put the system together. I'll never understand why more corps haven't gone to that kind of set-up. Mackie is your friend, especially when you have to break down and set up several times per day and travel like drum corps do. A powered speaker system is easier to set up, easier to troubleshoot, and far more durable in the long run than a passive system.

A lot of corps are using the Yamaha 01V, and it's a great board. It's also controllable by iPad or iPhone remotely (as are a few other boards).

Edited by Kamarag

Most Yamaha corps are using the 01v96 mixing console, P5000S and P7000S amplifiers, CW218V subs, CM215V mains, and some other miscellaneous rack mountable equipment like the DBX drive rack PA+ or a preamp for some additional XML channels. All corps are using passive speakers with Yamaha with the exception of Cavaliers, who are using some new active Yamaha 2x15's for the speakers the split marimbas 1+2 and 4+5.

For synths you'll probably only see Yamaha motif XFs nowadays. Crown uses the XF8 where as cavaliers use two XF7's. Other non-Yamaha corps likely use a Roland Fantom or an 88 key midi controller that is hooked up to a laptop running Logic or Mainstage.

• Like 1

Do you guys think corps will switch to the new Mackie DL mixer? I know it's only a 16channel mixer at this point, but it can be run by multiple iPads at once, and could probably be run by the sound tech from in the stands. From what I've seen, it looks like a pretty amazing mixer.

Do you guys think corps will switch to the new Mackie DL mixer? I know it's only a 16channel mixer at this point, but it can be run by multiple iPads at once, and could probably be run by the sound tech from in the stands. From what I've seen, it looks like a pretty amazing mixer.

I would in a heartbeat. Mackie mixers are fantastic.

• Like 1

Any idea what mics they are using for their boards? Or what wireless equip they are using?

I'm a total equip junkie. Love to know, cause it makes my groups better.

Idk about THIS year,but last year, the Madison Scouts used all Yamaha gear. Their power amps were Yamaha P5000s for the monitors and P7000s for the sub. They use passive speakers as do most corps, all Yamaha. I think the monitors were SM15v but I could be wrong about that. Jeff Lee designed the micing system. They actually used overhead choir mics, teeny tiny ones, I don't know the models and mounted them to the keyboard frames.