Bluecoats Marching Technique

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed at NightBeat that the Bluecoats are marching their entire show toe-first (no roll-step), not just the slow sections but the fast parts too. I thought it was interesting to note. Is this a new development or have they been doing this for some time?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed at NightBeat that the Bluecoats are marching their entire show toe-first (no roll-step), not just the slow sections but the fast parts too. I thought it was interesting to note. Is this a new development or have they been doing this for some time?

I believe this is the first year they have done this. I guess they are looking for a unique style? Their own look?

I would be worried about injuries as a staff member. Those kids are out there all day everyday marching in a way that is too different from the way we walk. Our bodies have spent a very long time developing a certain way and it would make sense to develop a style that compliments

this.

Just my 2 cents

So AShy!

I believe this is the first year they have done this. I guess they are looking for a unique style? Their own look?

I would be worried about injuries as a staff member. Those kids are out there all day everyday marching in a way that is too different from the way we walk. Our bodies have spent a very long time developing a certain way and it would make sense to develop a style that compliments

this.

Just my 2 cents

So AShy!

It's hard to say whether one is truly any better than the other, but that's coming from a dance perspective.

In the Latin dance styles (aside from paso doble), all steps are on the toe first. It's not particularly difficult or painful so long as you have what they call "the poise" -- that is, your weight is centered over your standing leg, like a stack of blocks on top of each other. You're completely balanced, you place the foot, and then you push from the standing leg.

In Standard styles, steps without rise are taken heel first going forward, toe first going back. The poise is still the key part of it, since you really should be able to stand on one leg whether your next step is on the heel or the toe.

I wouldn't want to have marchers stepping toe first on forward steps, though, given what I now know from dance. When you step first, you introduce hip action upon settling. I haven't heard any Bluecoats marchers having any problems with it, but I would personally have difficulty keeping level. Heel first, your action is flat and smooth, and you can keep your hips perfectly aligned with where you are going, even if your upper body is turned (for sliding while marching or CBMP in dance).

And I've firmly established myself as an entirely different kind of geek! thumbup.gif

After reading this post I went and found a video. To me, it looks like anytime they're moving forward in drill it's not too difficult. I don't think that all toe-first in this case makes moving more difficult. If anything it helps them prepare for jazz running which I did see a lot of when individuals needed to make their spot.

Also, go find their video from the Atlanta show. They're not doing all toe first.

Edited by SiBlueStar