Doing drum corps as a non music major.

So I marched last year as a rising senior in HS but I decided to take a year off in order to focus on financing my higher education. I plan to get back into the thick of things come audition camp time. However, I won't be a music major in college. How much of a challenge will this be? Has anyone been in the same situation?

Only the top corps have more music majors. Where I marched, I was one of probably a dozen in the hornline. The rest were either high schoolers or had totally different majors. My best friend is an engineering major and was a lead baritone with me.

My son marched the Bluecoats after his senior year in HS (2010) skipped a year to raise funds for this year, and is the contra section leader for the Bluecoats. He is an EE major with no plans at all in music.

If you enjoy music and it has been a part of your life, and are willing to put in the work, you should be fine.

BloooTubaDad

• Like 1

1343928780[/url]' post='3192131']

Only the top corps have more music majors. Where I marched, I was one of probably a dozen in the hornline. The rest were either high schoolers or had totally different majors. My best friend is an engineering major and was a lead baritone with me.

How would he handle practicing during the off-season? Did he buy a horn?

Well, I'm a music major so I can't really speak from your side of the situation (i.e. not having a horn to practice on), but having had to go semi-long periods of time without a horn for whatever reason (mostly vacations, tubas are kind of hard to bring along on those) I can say that as long as you have a mouthpiece, a good buzzing routine and the willingness to fit in into your schedule your embouchure will stay pretty strong and once you get to camp and on the horn you should be pretty well off as long as you haven't spontaneously forgotten how to read music. smile.gif

• Like 1

I'm a Nuclear Engineering major and made it to the very last cut with the Cavaliers this season. I know quite a few guys marching Cavaliers that aren't music majors at all... something that tends to be more important, though, is your work ethic...

You'd be amazed at how many engineering majors march corps and college marching bands. Must be something about how those brains process the drill :tongue:

How about IT majors.... OK it was called Data Processing at my Community College and Computer Science at my 4 yr college.... MANY years ago..... :ph34r:

My son is involved with the music program where he goes to school, but is not a music major. That allows him to have a concert tuba to practice on. Not the exact same as a contra, but close enough to keep his lips in shape. He also has an old trombone he plays for fun to keep up.

Where there is a will there is a way.

BloooTubaDad