Music for woodwinds in the world of drum corps

Being a clarinet performance major, I've heard and played a wide range of songs that I think could be used in a DCI setting. For example, the second movement of Scott McAllister's "X Concerto" or the second movement of Brahms' "Second Sonata for Clarinet and Piano" would sound great on the field, in my opinion. And there are many others out there. Does anyone else share my opinion that DCI corps should maybe try branching out their repertoire (not instrumentation) to include this kind of music? If not, why? If so, who do you think might utilize these pieces first?

The pieces I mentioned above:

It could happen. There has been a very diverse amount of repertoire introduced to the public in the form of Drum Corps arrangements. I'm not sure how well these pieces, particularly the McCallister, would translate to brass. WW pieces tend to have nuances that can't be reproduced, as well, on brass instruments.

I say: go for it, and throw in banjos, kazoos, bagpipes, sarrusophones and ophicleides too. Why stop after adding just woodwinds? At this stage of evolution it hardly matters, as potential objections from any still-remaining purists will be your least worry.

I have to wonder, though, when they're going to quit capitalizing off the drum corps/drum and bugle corps franchise, selling tickets to people thinking that's what they're going to see, and call the activity something like "pageantry", maybe, or "field band", and quit the roundabout Elvis-impersonator stuff.

• Like 1

I say: go for it, and throw in banjos, kazoos, bagpipes, sarrusophones and ophicleides too. Why stop after adding just woodwinds? At this stage of evolution it hardly matters, as potential objections from any still-remaining purists will be your least worry.

I have to wonder, though, when they're going to quit capitalizing off the drum corps/drum and bugle corps franchise, selling tickets to people thinking that's what they're going to see, and call the activity something like "pageantry", maybe, or "field band", and quit the roundabout Elvis-impersonator stuff.

The topic wasn't about adding woodwind instruments, it was about corps using music written for woodwinds.

• Like 2

Did not take long at all for a Negative Nancy to show up. Read the content of the actual post next time before you go off on the usual "drum corps is dead" rant that we see so much around here. You can stop now. We get it.

• Like 1

I don't mind any music...whether originally written for clarinet or any other instrument...being used by drum corps. I'm sure the corps design teams...some of them, at least...are willing to experiment. For me, the more diversity the better.

When my son was much younger, I was encouraging him to learn to play by ear. I would give him a simple melody and ask him to play it on his clarinet. The melody from Morrowind sounded pretty good. I don't see why it can't sound as well arranged in brass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuNf4gxwuM

Edited by RockyGranite
  • Like 1

This has happened before. As I recall, Glassmen in...I think 2000? Used an Oboe concerto as a major portion of the show.

I would imagine that transferring music that was originally written for woodwinds over to brass would be a tough assignment. Not impossible, but not easy either.

Bassoon pieces translate great to baritone. See Academy's opening solo this year, or Blue Stars' bari solo last year. And how many times have we heard the clarinet opener from Rhapsody in Blue on a trumpet/soprano?

But yes yes yes, the corps should be looking to widen their repertoire, and on that point, well done Crown and Cadets for doing shows consisting almost entirely of rarely or never-used music.