Teaching Marching Cymbals

Tyler C.

For starters, I am a percussionist who has spent the last two years as a percussion/Music Ed major at a top Georgia music school. This is my third fall teaching high school groups. To fill in the blanks in my signature, I was an end snare for CV last summer, but this year I am in a much more comfortable environment as center marimba. I have extremely limited experience with marching cymbals.

I have a comfortable grasp of crash cymbals in general, but the types of sounds specific to marching cymbals are new to me, and for now I am learning from trusty YouTube videos of SCV and other DCI plate lines. There are two settings in which I am teaching marching cymbals this fall:

1.) A 6-person high school cymbal line that uses what basically amounts to a poor man's show-style technique. I want to build them into more of a corps-style line (as everything else about the band is technically corps-style).

2.) My best friend, who plans to audition for Spirit's cymbal line this winter. She has no prior experience with marching cymbals. Let's skip the comments about her uphill battle; she has a crazy work ethic when motivated. She already has her cymbals, and we're using Spirit audition videos as a guide for now.

I am searching for resources to help me teach and to help my friend learn. I know of the SCV DVD that contains 30 minutes of cymbal instruction; I am considering that for my high school line. Does anyone know where I can find info and resources for my friend? Will she just have to wait until the 2013 audition materials are released?

I know this was a long-winded way of asking something simple, but I just want to get it right for everyone I teach.

"Cymbal Technique" by Ed Capps.

Its a book/DVD combo. It literally breaks down every basic concept at a pretty fundamental level. It covers everything from the grip and basic standing positions up through some commonly used visuals. Capps has been an instructor at Spirit, Magic, JSU, Lassiter high school, and (for the big one) Music City Mystique.

I use this book as the starting point for every cymbal line I've ever taught. It was recommended to me by the guy I have currently teaching my cymbal line who marched mystique, taught at mystique and currently teaches at several high schools and another IW group.

Anyway, yeah, that's the starting point.

• Like 1

"Cymbal Technique" by Ed Capps.

Its a book/DVD combo. It literally breaks down every basic concept at a pretty fundamental level. It covers everything from the grip and basic standing positions up through some commonly used visuals. Capps has been an instructor at Spirit, Magic, JSU, Lassiter high school, and (for the big one) Music City Mystique.

I use this book as the starting point for every cymbal line I've ever taught. It was recommended to me by the guy I have currently teaching my cymbal line who marched mystique, taught at mystique and currently teaches at several high schools and another IW group.

Anyway, yeah, that's the starting point.

This sounds like EXACTLY what I need. Thank you!

This sounds like EXACTLY what I need. Thank you!

No problem. I had never marched in a group that had cymbals the first time I decided to have one at my full time gig. The tech suggested it for some reading. It even handles a lot of the logistical stuff (tying straps, cleaning cymbals etc) that a lot of these books never talk about. I hope it helps.

actucker nailed it on the head with the book from Eddie Capps.

However, what you're doing by watching youtube vids, will help tremendously. Maybe not so much technique wise, but creative wise.

The thing I've learned from trying to teach a high school cymbal line, is keep it fresh and entertaining for the kids. You have to make them realize that marching cymbals can be cool/interesting/hard/demanding/etc.

if possible try to bring in someone that has experience with marching cymbals. but everything your doing sounds like your on your way to creating a great line good luck!