Yesterday's Scores

for the life of me I cant see how Phantom's sloppy, poorly designed show is getting points....

blue devils first in percussion? are you kidding me? 'ol JJ is known to be biased... Cadets and BD will always score high in percussion if he has any say.... SCV was the best written and best performed percussion book on the field, hands down... it doesnt get any cleaner than that.

Crown winning brass is spot on... I think if JJ hadnt hadnt handed Dev's percussion (was a gift) the spread between 1st/2nd would be much closer... dont get me wrong, Im a devs fan, but their show is just not doing much for me... its so choppy, segues and transitions are like they were cut and pasted... I dont know how they are getting GE as Crown's show seems to be more emotionally spiked... but that's me...

• Like 1

Surf has a fun, accessible show.

They are clearly into it and sell it well.

Truth be told though, their execution is not at the level of the corps that inspired them.

Let's hope they can get there and remain an entertaining and fun group.

• Like 1

I like Surf too.

However, who would you put them ahead of, in your opinion?

I agree with this, love their show. It's energetic and fun, but definitely not clean or demanding. If you don't factor in things like visual performance, musical analysis etc., then what is the point of ranking anyone? Surf is great but aren't near the execution of the top 12. It wouldn't make sense on finals night to see 1. Jersey Surf 2. Madison Scouts etc. No one else would spend hours a day cleaning and perfecting if those things aren't on the score sheet.

for the life of me I cant see how Phantom's sloppy, poorly designed show is getting points....

blue devils first in percussion? are you kidding me? 'ol JJ is known to be biased... Cadets and BD will always score high in percussion if he has any say.... SCV was the best written and best performed percussion book on the field, hands down... it doesnt get any cleaner than that.

Crown winning brass is spot on... I think if JJ hadnt hadnt handed Dev's percussion (was a gift) the spread between 1st/2nd would be much closer... dont get me wrong, Im a devs fan, but their show is just not doing much for me... its so choppy, segues and transitions are like they were cut and pasted... I dont know how they are getting GE as Crown's show seems to be more emotionally spiked... but that's me...

...uh...what? :blink:

• Like 1

dont get me wrong, Im a devs fan, but their show is just not doing much for me... its so choppy, segues and transitions are like they were cut and pasted...

I agree BUT exam DADA a little. DADA introduced collage (cut&paste) as an art. I know - it doesnt make it entertaining but they did execute in a way that YOU got what they were doing.

Everyone keeps talking about Jersey Surf, Jersey Surf... I think their only appeal is a "walk down memory lane"... and quite honestly, those charts are like early 80's high school marching band caliber... and performed about as well... If it were up a notch and t total clean and precise it might have had more impact... otherwise, I think many are just hypnotized by the "idea" not by what's actually out there...

• Like 4

Entertainment value is in the eye of the beholder

execution is not

you can't judge what you like more which is why art should not be judged.

You CAN judge skill, execution, technical excellence, design quality (different than entertainment value!) etc.

If scores were decided by entertainment value, it'd be a disaster. The judging system is fine, the corps that performs the best and has the 'best' (not most entertaining!) wins.

I for one don't care for cute fluffy shows that seems to be what a large chunk of people who complain about judging want to see.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Everyone keeps talking about Jersey Surf, Jersey Surf... I think their only appeal is a "walk down memory lane"... and quite honestly, those charts are like early 80's high school marching band caliber... and performed about as well... If it were up a notch and t total clean and precise it might have had more impact... otherwise, I think many are just hypnotized by the "idea" not by what's actually out there...

You have a very nice drum corps.

• Like 2

Entertainment value is in the eye of the beholder

execution is not

you can't judge what you like more which is why art should not be judged.

You CAN judge skill, execution, technical excellence, design quality (different than entertainment value!) etc.

This.

I was hugely entertained by the Surf show yesterday (halfway up almost on the 50). It was a great crowd pleaser (and captured the essence of Bridgemen perfectly). But it lacked the design and discipline to score well, IMO (and that of the judges).

It's not always about the score - kudos to the Surf staff for creating and to the members for executing the type of show that helps draw in new audiences. Once drawn in by the entertainment value, many grow to appreciate the whole realm of Drum Corps shows.