Cavies sound guy out of control

This is an issue, more so for performers than fans. Being around excessive sound all summer could easily lead to hearing loss and potentially tinnitus. A few summers of fun is not worth decades of debilitation. I hope DCI addresses this. I know there was some guy advocating musician's ear plugs for drum lines a while back. Did anything ever come of this? DCI should be proactive on this issue...law suits down the road are always a possibility. Add class-action to the mix and there could be a lot of liability.

My best friend is an audiologist and he has so many heartbreaking stories of people who's lives have been severely impacted by hearing loss and tinnitus, and other hearing issues. And his patients are coming in with problems are younger and younger thanks to i-pods and other such devices.

I don't mean to hijack the thread. This is not just an aesthetic thing w/ one corps, it really is a safety and public health issue. My friend has a decibel reading app on his phone, and is amazed at the readings he gets just from traffic in a large city. I wonder what a loud drum corps show registers. A 12 minute show once in a while for a fan (even a night of it) is prob. no issue, but 2 or 3 summer's worth of this kind of noise exposure everyday, and then listening to i-pods on the bus on top of it.... strong potential for damage, esp. since damage that leads to hearing loss is cumulative.

The fundamental issue I was trying to get at when I started this thread was that 2 very solid Drum & Bugle corps with excellent GE lost to this over amplified show that finished with no musicianship, but a dance routine to an extremely loud recording,, Madison & Boston played instruments,,, and played them very well. After the initial intro, the pit was never adjusted, and the keyboards were painful from down front as well as up top,, we had folks at our hotel in Allentown sitting all over the stadium and they all had the same reaction,, what we didnt get was that the judges have been around a long time,, who is telling them that over bearing sound systems are to be sscored higher that excellent Drum Corps that play their intruments.

• Like 2

FWIW you can't judge everything by what you heard on the Fan Network. The audio/video team from DCI tends to put some of the mics right in front of the speaker stacks and then doesn't account for this when they are balancing out their own recordings. I've noticed this every time I've seen the Big, Loud, and Live events and then compared it to what it was like when I saw the shows live.

FWIW you can't judge everything by what you heard on the Fan Network. The audio/video team from DCI tends to put some of the mics right in front of the speaker stacks and then doesn't account for this when they are balancing out their own recordings. I've noticed this every time I've seen the Big, Loud, and Live events and then compared it to what it was like when I saw the shows live.

Agreed but that was not the Cavies problem. I saw them in SA and Indy - they were just way too loud - period.

• Like 1

Just unplug the d@&n electronics!!! Seriously, what is so hard about that??? Have corps just forgot how to be creative anymore???

While I'd agree with your solution, that horse has left the barn. I'd be amazed if DCI backtracked on those rules, even though the fans seem to be against a lot of electronics. I went to 7 in person shows this year. At each, the audience tended strongly to be against the way the activity has progressed re: synths.

Personally, I feel there might be some situations when amplification might be warranted as long as it's amplifying a sound produced by the corps...but when a corps is just pulling samples or reprocessing sounds to cover up (or worse, in lieu of) the horns or drums, that's a problem.

Same with soundboards. Not to bash on Cadets, because they're only one of several, but I happened to see them most this year: the trumpets featured in the beginning of "Carol of the Bells" gacked the opening note more often than not. Instead of rewriting it into a more comfortable register, what did the corps do? Threw a huge reverb on them so you wouldn't know the difference. Likewise, how many corps backed up their power chords with a big sub-woofer hit? If you have 16 tubas out there, why is that necessary? Don't the corps know how artificial it sounds?

Edited by Phillygwm

Agreed but that was not the Cavies problem. I saw them in SA and Indy - they were just way too loud - period.

Same in Lawrence.

In Houston the balance sounded fine to me. I wonder if they were cranking it up in anticipation of the dome?

Mike

Agreed. I watched the guys rehearse at the Woodlands beforehand, and at the end of rehearsal, they played the intro and I Iiterally almost #### myself. I thought the rapture was happening. Now I understand why it was the way it was. Makes sense to me too loud or not too loud.

Just unplug the d@&n electronics!!! Seriously, what is so hard about that??? Have corps just forgot how to be creative anymore???

I'm so over this argument.

Edited by trh