question about auditioning

I want to audition for the first time this year, but i'm kind of thinking i would like to play drum set in a pit somewhere. Does anybody know how people get spots to play drum set? And if this is the wrong place to ask about auditioning, sorry :P

I think it's a perfectly fine place to ask.

People get drumset spots by auditioning as if it were any other spot. Generally, you show up, get behind the set and help keep time for exercises, then probably do a one-on-one with the staff; having a solo prepared is a good idea. If you're male, the Madison Scouts drumset/rack player aged out, I know there's a spot there.

It's not always guaranteed which corps will have a spot, so you'll have to do a bit of research. Scouts have had a drumset player for the last three years, as have Cavaliers. But Crown, for example, had one in 2011 but not one in 2012, and Crossmen had more of a rack in 2011 and a real drumset this past year (same player, different equipment setup). Again, just look into it beforehand; don't be afraid to shoot the corps an email asking about it.

Good luck!

[Also consider trying out for Gateway Indoor, we need a drumset player this upcoming season also :)]

Edited by Stryfe
  • Like 1

thanks for the info! now should i try emailing corps to see if they need a set player?

I think it's a perfectly fine place to ask.

People get drumset spots by auditioning as if it were any other spot. Generally, you show up, get behind the set and help keep time for exercises, then probably do a one-on-one with the staff; having a solo prepared is a good idea. If you're male, the Madison Scouts drumset/rack player aged out, I know there's a spot there.

It's not always guaranteed which corps will have a spot, so you'll have to do a bit of research. Scouts have had a drumset player for the last three years, as have Cavaliers. But Crown, for example, had one in 2011 but not one in 2012, and Crossmen had more of a rack in 2011 and a real drumset this past year (same player, different equipment setup). Again, just look into it beforehand; don't be afraid to shoot the corps an email asking about it.

Good luck!

[Also consider trying out for Gateway Indoor, we need a drumset player this upcoming season also :)]

Most audition information won't be available until October. It's probably best to wait until then before emailing corps. They're not even in the planning stages for next season anyway, so they'll probably not know what the need yet.

It is absolutely not too early. Most corps are a lot farther along in planning than you might imagine. If the corps doesn't know if it will use a set, they will tell you that.