Spirit of Atlanta's exhibition on the day Jim Ott died

I was there that night! More than the field performances, I remember the parking lot performance the Crossmen did for the Spirit kids. It was a night that further bonded those two corps for years to come.

HOWEVER.....

I slightly disagree with doing just an exhibition.

blah blah blah

Spirit didn't take the field for you. They were there for themselves that night.

I strongly feel it's not your place to apply your own personal values to a decision made by a corps.

Furthermore, to assume that everyone would grieve the same way you do in a given situation is ignorant.

that's all I'm going to say.

• Like 4

Spirit did the right thing. Even if they had marched the entire performance drill and all, performing as an exhibition was the ONLY choice. How cruel would it have been for the staff to add to the enormous emotional strain they were under by asking them to perform in competition as well? Competing is an emotional strain by itself, without having to play and perform through your own tears and pain.

Then, to ask the judges to give a score to a corps that had just suffered enormous loss? Again...cruel. If they didn't give a score that was high enough, the crowd would be mad and the corps would be doubly hurt. There was no winning on that night and scores were useless...at least for Spirit.

And what if judges did give them a perfect 100? Everyone would know that it was a false and meaningless score. Was the corps given a gift of a perfect score simply because of the tragedy? Of course that would have been the case, and I'm sure Spirit wouldn't want to have been the recipient of an unearned score.

Come on...Spirit pulled out a miracle on that night just taking the field and playing a single note.

As a multi year member of Spirit, I've heard stories of this night over and over, and am so glad that this is now available for all to share. I never knew Jim Ott, but I've played his music, and I've cried like a baby every time I watch this video. Thanks to everyone responsible for bringing this to us.

• Like 5

Such an awesome video to watch. I wasn't alive when this tragedy befell Spirit of Atlanta, but seeing the video made me feel a connection to the kids in that corpss on that night. For those who are suggesting that they be scored that night: NO WAY! That would have been unfair to everyone there, and Spirit of Atlanta would not want to tarnish Jim's memory. Thank you for posting this, for it has made me cherish my favorite show of all time even more.

Thank you for posting this. Spirit's performance that night was extraordinary.

A few weeks later, at Precision West 80, I was there and heard the 200 member combined horn lines of The Commodores, Santa Clara Vanguard, Freelancers, and Blue Devils play Jim Ott's arrangement of the Naval Hymn. By the end I was in tears, as was most of the crowd. Even today, 32 years later, I still choke up and have thoughts of Jim Ott when I hear that piece.

Jim Ott was an incredible talent. For those of us fans who had the privilege to hear corps play his arrangements back then, there is little question as to the appropriateness of DCI's High Brass Award bearing his name.

• Like 1

Spirit didn't take the field for you. They were there for themselves that night.

I strongly feel it's not your place to apply your own personal values to a decision made by a corps.

Furthermore, to assume that everyone would grieve the same way you do in a given situation is ignorant.

that's all I'm going to say.

Other noteable times when death right before a major sporting event happened to someone and how they handled it very consistent with my epiphany. Last night at the Ravens Game, Favre's Monday Night Football Game and Rochette winning the Olympic Figure Skating Bronze Medal. This weekend alone there were probably a few thousand marathoners who lost family and friends through out the week or month who were ther for them through all the ACL's, sore feet, missed family gatherings, trips to the ER, trips to the Vitamin World or GNC, providing massages and physical therapy. All the types of stuff (ideologically) that Jim Ott did to Spirit. They did all that so that their loved ones would win, not be in tears during the event the deceased helped out with so vigorously.

I've read a lot about Jim Ott and I think he would have wanted to have heard that night "And In First Place, The Spirit of Atlanta."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--support-from-ravens--rival-players-helps-lift-torrey-smith-on-day-of-family-tragedy.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/12/23/packers.raiders.ap/

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/24/olympics.rochette/index.html

I understand all of the various opinions posted here on thistopic. I truly understand both sides of this issue.

After my sister died, a trophy was named in her honor. Sixmonths later, I won the gold medal and the trophy. Interestingly enough, it wasfor ice dancing….and I was 10 years old.

Fast forward 10 years, and now I am one of the performers inSpirit that fateful night. I think our youngest member was 15 or so….all theway to 21. For many, this was their first experience with death outside ofimmediate family, or their first experience at all.

I can’t speak for anyone other than myself (having cookedhamburgers with Maggie and Jim at their home prior to tour) I can say that thecompetitive aspect was not a part of me that day and as far as I can tell noone else’s either. We must keep in mind that one of our members was involved inthe accident as well as other staff who were severely injured.

That performance was between the member of the corps, JimOtt and the other members of the Spirit family who were injured that day.

In other competitive instances, often the athletes are olderand often more experienced with the grief process than perhaps we were thatnight.

I will always be proud of my performance that night, thereasons for the presentation as such, and most importantly, sharing my soulwith my corps family, the other corps assembled, and the wonderful audience in attendancethat evening.

To everyone here my highest regards and respect,

Bob Clark

Spirit of Atlanta 79-81

• Like 4

I've read a lot about Jim Ott and I think he would have wanted to have heard that night "And In First Place, The Spirit of Atlanta."

You've READ alot about Jim Ott. The people that made the decisions that night about how the corps would handle that performance KNEW Jim Ott. They lived and breathed the life of a drum corps season with him for several years. They all poured their soul into that organization for multiple years as a team to build one of the most incredible performing organizations of their era.

I think I'll respect their decisions as to how it should have been handled based off their personal experiences over several years rather than your second guessing decisions 32 years later based off of your "reading" about him.

AA

• Like 5

You've READ alot about Jim Ott. The people that made the decisions that night about how the corps would handle that performance KNEW Jim Ott. They lived and breathed the life of a drum corps season with him for several years. They all poured their soul into that organization for multiple years as a team to build one of the most incredible performing organizations of their era.

I think I'll respect their decisions as to how it should have been handled based off their personal experiences over several years rather than your second guessing decisions 32 years later based off of your "reading" about him.

AA

Very well said Alan. Those of us that have been personally involved in loosing one before their time can attest to the fact that nobody, and I mean nobody has the right to judge the actions of those directly involved and effected by the loss. To make assumptions based on ones personal feelings by someone on the outside looking in are both immature and disrespectful.

Being a member of the Spirit family, and being married to someone that was actually in the corps that year, I can say that the events that transpired that night had a lasting and devastating effect on those directly involved. Let's let them revel in their memories of Jim and the way they chose to pay tribute, not slap them in the face by trying to judge what transpired 30 years after the fact. Remember, there was serious consideration of packing up the corps and ending the summer right then and there. I am inspired by the resiliance and determination demonstrated by everyone in the organization that year.

Proud to wear the deltas that I wear around my neck to this day.

Dan

• Like 3