Any household items/chemicals I can use to clean my horn?

Ch1k3n

Hello!

I'm just wondering if I can use any household cleaning materials like Windex or something to clean my horn? I've got caked sweat and some caked on dark colored stuff that I'd like to clean off. I don't have any sort of fancy stuff, but I could possibly get some if I need.

Thanks!

If your horn is tarnished, go read the thread on shiny horns.

Well no my question was if I could use windex or something to shine my horn.

I wasn't asking what the best product to shine my horn was.

Yes. When Regiment first started the move to Bb we STOPPED using silver polish. We only used them for regionals, even then hardly ever. Windex and windex wipes became very important to us. The horns that came out of the corps in the 03-06 era were incredibly well taken care of. No silver polish ever made it into the valve casings (which really really speeds up the degradation of the valves), they were cleaned with windex regularly, and we changed gloves (white ones) frequently, like it was going out of style. People that bought them were getting a steal!

If its silver or chrome Haggerty's Silve polish in the spray can,It can be obtained at Woodwind and Brasswinds.Srpay on,let dry and wash off.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use hand soap to make it shine.. it works :)

yes but the question is is it safe to use?

Obviously you shouldn't get it in the valves, but what about scratches on the horn? Will soap or Windex seep in and damage the metal underneath?