Where are all the old abandoned corps buses located?

(For Michael Boo! Hope this helps :smile: )

This is a SEPTA (Southeastern PA Transit Authority) bus that the Crossmen staff used in the early 90's and the Jersey Surf staff used until her demise.

Sadly, this photo is SEPTA on the way to the shredder.

Thank you, Nanci.

Nanci responded to a request I put on Facebook with the photo, which someone had sent to me. I knew how to post a photo to Facebook, but not to DCP. Thinking that perhaps there are others in the same situation; does one have to have a photo sharing account like PhotoBucket to link to for DCP? I tried linking to my Facebook post and was told I couldn't use that extension here. Thank you in advance for explaining. (I once signed up for PhotoBucket, but cancelled it immediately when I received an outpouring of spam the moment I signed up.)

• Like 1

Drum corps don't exactly get busses new, maybe in very rare situations it has happened. That Crown bus is probably from the early 80's or late 70's and was well used an abused by the time they bought it. Drum corps is many times the end of the line for the life cycle of a bus in terms of purchases. The leased buses mostly used today are of course very recent models. While those vehicles in the pictures may look alright from the pictures each one would probably need thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars of work to be reliable down the road. There is probably severe frame rust and damage and who knows what wrong with the engine or fuel lines and airbrakes. You could probably turn one of those into a sweet RV with enough cash. A bus sales site www.walkercoach.com/mcibuses.shtml, states the MCI 9 was designed to have a life span of 30 years and 3 million miles.

Well that Carolina Crown bus looks a lot like the same make as the buses I rode in with the Bluecoats from 1985-1988 (we got them in 1985) my understanding was that those busses we got were 1963 GMC coaches. so they were already 22 years old when we got them.

Now that is just amazing detective work. Bravo!

Somebody gave you a -1 for this comment... rock.gif Is someone objecting to this topic?... I would have +1'd it to correct it, but that would be praising your praising of me! Seems arrogant of me somehow... Anyway, thanks for the comment.

Anyway, this thread posts a Google Earth file pointing to the vk bus. I installed google earth to view it, and it says the location is

34°43'29.74" N 118°02'16.33" W

That text pulls up the same location in Google Maps, so that part works (cut and paste my bold text above, since it has the degree sign already in it). The location is just north-east of Lancaster and Palmdale, CA (which is indeed in the Antelope Valley area)

I have no idea whether the bus is actually there, but there is a vaguely oblong shape just northwest of the image center. There is a street, "50th St E", that has street view, about one kilometer west of there, but I couldn't see the bus from that distance zooming in. I only had time to look from a couple of locations along the street, though. I'll look again later. There are other streets with street view around it, but that's the closest.

Back about 7 or 8 years ago, my wife and I were driving through the northwest Georgia countryside, about 40 miles or so northwest of Atlanta, and we stopped at a convenience store in the tiny town of Euharlee. Just as we were leaving, a guy drives up to fuel up his motorhome, which has been converted from an old bus. I didn't notice it at first, but when the sun hit the side of the bus at just the right angle, we could barely make out the faded letters: Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps.

• Like 4

Thank you, Nanci.

Nanci responded to a request I put on Facebook with the photo, which someone had sent to me. I knew how to post a photo to Facebook, but not to DCP. Thinking that perhaps there are others in the same situation; does one have to have a photo sharing account like PhotoBucket to link to for DCP? I tried linking to my Facebook post and was told I couldn't use that extension here. Thank you in advance for explaining. (I once signed up for PhotoBucket, but cancelled it immediately when I received an outpouring of spam the moment I signed up.)

to post a picture that is already on facebook to DCP, you can follow these steps:

1. right click the picture on facebook and choose "open image in new window"

2. copy the URL from the new window that opened (it should end in .jpg)

3. put [.img]URL FROM NEW WINDOW GOES HERE[./img] in your DCP post (without the periods inside the brackets)... paste the URL that you copied where all caps text is

Edited by soccerguy315

to post a picture that is already on facebook to DCP, you can follow these steps:

1. right click the picture on facebook and choose "open image in new window"

2. copy the URL from the new window that opened (it should end in .jpg)

3. put [.img]URL FROM NEW WINDOW GOES HERE[./img] in your DCP post (without the periods inside the brackets)... paste the URL that you copied where all caps text is

Thank you. I'll give that a try once I figure out how to right click with a Mac mouse that doesn't have buttons. (I'll find that on the Internet, I'm sure.) I deeply appreciate your assistance.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

Up until about 6 months ago the Rochester Patriots buses sat on NY Rt 17-c in Owego at a used car lot for sale. They are gone now.

The bus for Spectrum from Corning, NY is rotting in the hills off of Rt 38b between the Tioga and Broome County lines in Upstate New York. Someone is using the storage bays as a makeshift shed for old car parts.