Rookie Audition

Hold that horn up till your arms fall off ;) Particularly for a tuba/euph player, you can be the most amazing player on the planet and they still (probably) won't accept you if you look like crap and have no physical endurance (granted, there is often some room for compromise between looking good and sounding good, but I believe this rule of thumb applies to most corps you will find). It sounds like you're spending lots of time on your audition piece which is excellent, but don't neglect the visual side as well. Practice marching with whatever technique you learned in high school- you will generally be judged on how well you can learn their technique, not on how well you seem to know it.

I say all this based on my experiences with auditioning as well as what I have learned from other marchers, I believe a lot of it will hold true no matter where you go.

And finally, the most important thing I can tell you is do not worry about being nervous! Everyone there will be just as nervous, it is not going to put you at a disadvantage. Just keep calm, and remember to breathe- good luck!

Edited by laser.lemon

That's what I've been doing for the past week now haha, literally x_x How long do they expect you to hold the thing though...? I can't hold it up for more than about a minute or two before I start shaking. Yup, I've been practicing marching along with the music, though I tend to focus on the musically audition because I think I'm slightly weaker in the area. And well, I've been doing the whole physical thing with my concert horn, so I'm not sure if it's heavier or lighter, or if its designed with a certain weight balance in mind vs. a marching tuba's design. I've also been doing squats with the thing, does that help? Leg muscles and a little bit of core that is being worked out?

And well, after all these awesome comments that I received, it isn't as big of a burden. So thank you so much! :D

I did notice you were a part of the Bluecoats last season, amazing show they had last year :) They also march Yamaha YBB-202's, and I was kind of baffled by how they hold the thing at playing position... So, how do you keep the tuba upright if both of your hands are gripped to piping closest to your shoulder. When marching, doesn't the tuba have a tendency to move towards resting your head or just off to the left?

That's what I've been doing for the past week now haha, literally x_x How long do they expect you to hold the thing though...? I can't hold it up for more than about a minute or two before I start shaking. Yup, I've been practicing marching along with the music, though I tend to focus on the musically audition because I think I'm slightly weaker in the area. And well, I've been doing the whole physical thing with my concert horn, so I'm not sure if it's heavier or lighter, or if its designed with a certain weight balance in mind vs. a marching tuba's design. I've also been doing squats with the thing, does that help? Leg muscles and a little bit of core that is being worked out?

And well, after all these awesome comments that I received, it isn't as big of a burden. So thank you so much! :D

I did notice you were a part of the Bluecoats last season, amazing show they had last year :) They also march Yamaha YBB-202's, and I was kind of baffled by how they hold the thing at playing position... So, how do you keep the tuba upright if both of your hands are gripped to piping closest to your shoulder. When marching, doesn't the tuba have a tendency to move towards resting your head or just off to the left?

Haha, I should probably clarify that I did not actually march with the Bluecoats; I auditioned with them and was offered an alternate spot, which I ultimately had to turn down due to scheduling and financial issues that arose.

Ultimately, you will be expected to hold your horn up for a whole show and then some, but you have some time to develop that. For now, do as much as you can to prepare- holding something in the 20-30 pound range should be a good starter for a Yamaha, so I suspect a conert horn should be a good substitute. Leg workouts are a good idea as well, and I suspect they will come in particularly handy for someone who will be marching bent-leg ;)

As for holding the instrument at playing position, I never really had much of an issue with it. I tended to rely on the thumb ring next the valves a lot to keep it upright, and having a good elbow position with your left arm actually helps pull the instrument away from your head, so it's not too bad. Again, that's just what worked for me; your mileage may vary depending on your body structure and the preferences of the corps' staff.

Haha, I should probably clarify that I did not actually march with the Bluecoats; I auditioned with them and was offered an alternate spot, which I ultimately had to turn down due to scheduling and financial issues that arose.

Ultimately, you will be expected to hold your horn up for a whole show and then some, but you have some time to develop that. For now, do as much as you can to prepare- holding something in the 20-30 pound range should be a good starter for a Yamaha, so I suspect a conert horn should be a good substitute. Leg workouts are a good idea as well, and I suspect they will come in particularly handy for someone who will be marching bent-leg ;)

As for holding the instrument at playing position, I never really had much of an issue with it. I tended to rely on the thumb ring next the valves a lot to keep it upright, and having a good elbow position with your left arm actually helps pull the instrument away from your head, so it's not too bad. Again, that's just what worked for me; your mileage may vary depending on your body structure and the preferences of the corps' staff.

Well then, with auditions coming up, I hope you the best with the Phantom Regiment :) And haha well, hopefully I'll meet you at a show.

Hmm, that I understand, but holding the horn at set is the only issue. Having played sousaphone, I think my left shoulder took enough haha. That's what I've been doing, it just keeps tipping over lol... Something I discovered yesterday was that holding the horn at set for about a minute or so begins, my lower back begins to strain. Doing research online, I think the cause was either improper posture or having not stretched before hand. It came back today too... so how would I correct the problem?

Yeah, I did some googling on the whole hand position thing, I think I won't truly understand it until I've actually played one... Also, does height play a part in playing the marching tuba? Because I'm pretty short for a guy...

I think I'll be going to the December 9th workshop, I'm coming all the way from Southern California haha. So the one day workshop is something that is definitely worth the trip right? Hm, would it be a good thing to overemphasizing playing those things (the expressive aspects of music)? Also, how much does a horn typically weigh...?

Don't get all caught up in the "audition" process of the experience. If you can find a corps that holds a weekend camp, go for it. I think spending a couple days and nights with a corps gives a more rounded experience. Remember, it should be fun. Not just the job of the audition. Have fun and play drum corps bum for a weekend!

And... good luck! :>

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3

Don't get all caught up in the "audition" process of the experience. If you can find a corps that holds a weekend camp, go for it. I think spending a couple days and nights with a corps gives a more rounded experience. Remember, it should be fun. Not just the job of the audition. Have fun and play drum corps bum for a weekend!

And... good luck! :>

I'm going to both the audition weekend camp and the workshop to do exactly what you suggested! An extra day to play with the corps seems well worth it to lose out on a weekend of studying for semester finals ;) And that's what I hope it'll be, drum corps is, after all, a dream I've had for quite sometime, but can only start now due to a number of reasons. Haha, thank you! :)

Edited by TubaPlayer
  • Like 1

Well then, with auditions coming up, I hope you the best with the Phantom Regiment :) And haha well, hopefully I'll meet you at a show.

Hmm, that I understand, but holding the horn at set is the only issue. Having played sousaphone, I think my left shoulder took enough haha. That's what I've been doing, it just keeps tipping over lol... Something I discovered yesterday was that holding the horn at set for about a minute or so begins, my lower back begins to strain. Doing research online, I think the cause was either improper posture or having not stretched before hand. It came back today too... so how would I correct the problem?

Yeah, I did some googling on the whole hand position thing, I think I won't truly understand it until I've actually played one... Also, does height play a part in playing the marching tuba? Because I'm pretty short for a guy...

Why thank you :)

I totally understand where you're coming from with the sousaphone thing- be warned that, depending on how you hold your horn, it might sit on a slightly different spot on your shoulder, but it's really not much to worry about. The lower back issue is something that would be better shown than explained and probably varies depending on your posture, unfortunately I don't think I can do much for you there. Absolutely be sure to talk to your tuba tech and/or visual instructors at the camp and have them work with you to develop proper, safe posture.

I would be willing to bet that height has virtually nothing to do directly with marching tuba, perhaps being on the shorter side will lower your center of gravity and help you keep your balance ;)

Also i wholeheartedly agree with what drumcorpsfever said; I learned far more about both marching and playing tuba in one full weekend with the Bluecoats than I did in all my years of high school marching band. Go for the whole experience if you can!

• Like 1

Why thank you :)

I totally understand where you're coming from with the sousaphone thing- be warned that, depending on how you hold your horn, it might sit on a slightly different spot on your shoulder, but it's really not much to worry about. The lower back issue is something that would be better shown than explained and probably varies depending on your posture, unfortunately I don't think I can do much for you there. Absolutely be sure to talk to your tuba tech and/or visual instructors at the camp and have them work with you to develop proper, safe posture.

I would be willing to bet that height has virtually nothing to do directly with marching tuba, perhaps being on the shorter side will lower your center of gravity and help you keep your balance ;)

Also i wholeheartedly agree with what drumcorpsfever said; I learned far more about both marching and playing tuba in one full weekend with the Bluecoats than I did in all my years of high school marching band. Go for the whole experience if you can!

From one tuba to another :D yeah I tried to get a feel of it, it feels different but I think I would enjoy my time marching a tuba more than a sousaphone, no offense to anyone who is vice versa haha. Yup, I'm not sure what I can do about that either, I tried stretching today and the pain didn't come back really. That's probably one of the first things I'll do, I don't want some chronic back pain to ruin the season for me.

I always thought it just looks awkward to have a little dip in the line if I were shorter than most guys... but that's a better way to look at things ;D

Yes yes, I am going for the experience haha, to meet fellow tubas, and to get a feel of where I am and where I need to improve at! It also seems there is a new visual staff member... Mr. Myron Rosander :D Man am I excited for that!

Biggest thing that they'll expect, is that you show up and try your hardest. Most corps would rather take a kid with a great attitude and drive, then a virtuoso who complains every day. Don't worry about trying to learn their visual technique, they will teach you that. They will probably even tell you to do any kind of visual audition using whatever technique you know already. The music audition will probably be more of how you react within the line, and how you play over the course of the weekend. The audition piece(s) and private music audition won't be a make it or break it kind of situation, it's mostly used for placing within the line, and if some people are right on the cusp of making it or not.

The show for Cadet Corps in 2013 is going to be great, and they're bringing in some great staff. Go ahead and audition, and enjoy yourself. I've got a student or two who are audition for SCVC, and they're really excited about it. And one thing, Myron isn't new to the picture at all. if there is one person who had personified Santa Clara for the past 45 years, it's Myron. He wrote drill and taught visual for many, many years.

Whatever happens, just go and audition.