Glassmen Announce 2013 Visual Designer

I know that this type of comment may be a source of tension for some, but I need to say it: When members of corps are paying thousands of dollars to march a corps like the Glassmen, they deserve to get the best they can in staff, not someone who cannot fit the bill in the activity. The time for chances is over when you are the one getting paid and not the one paying. The staff expect the best from their members, so the members should expect the best from their staffs. Scotella does not seem to have what the DCI activity in world class needs to be competitive when others must take some or most of the burden for his responsibilities. This could change, but let someone else take the chance, and if they don't, then let him sit things out.

• Like 1

I know that this type of comment may be a source of tension for some, but I need to say it: When members of corps are paying thousands of dollars to march a corps like the Glassmen, they deserve to get the best they can in staff, not someone who cannot fit the bill in the activity. The time for chances is over when you are the one getting paid and not the one paying. The staff expect the best from their members, so the members should expect the best from their staffs. Scotella does not seem to have what the DCI activity in world class needs to be competitive when others must take some or most of the burden for his responsibilities. This could change, but let someone else take the chance, and if they don't, then let him sit things out.

Then don't cry poor.

Then don't cry poor.

So let's say we hire you and your fantastic high school band skills to write the music and drill for the corps. You did it with a high school on a budget so clearly you're the man for the job. But, for sake of discussion, you're terrible. Miserable. A joke. The students don't want to be a part of this high school garbage. The corps is not full because they are not going to have a competitive and worthwhile show for the experience they seek. Now what?

• Like 1

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Just what are the standards here when co-writing a World Champion visual program isn't enough credibility? I know 2009 wasn't up to the same standards as 08...but the program still finished 9th in 2009 while Glassmen just finished 14th in 2012.

Matt already made the fantastic point regarding Mr. Ferguson; I believe he has done a fantastic job with his program, and he was hardly a known entity in DCI when he started with the Glassmen. One might even argue that perhaps having someone with something to prove in the design position is the best move for the students; I have experienced it first-hand as a student and instructor when the arranger/drill writer thinks they can "coast by" at your program; see Glassmen 2011 and Phantom Regiment 2012, who both had the same arranger, but finished 13th and 3rd respectively. I have seen kids sit in the stands Saturday night because the drill was unwritten until 2 weeks before the conclusion of the season. This situation was for a BOA GN Champ contender, and the writer in question has had programs in DCI finals since I was still using a sippy cup. And to use another example, Myron Rosander has had some trouble finding a home like and success of the same kind he had with SCV. I was kind of hoping that the Glassmen might pick him up and we'd get to see another Key/Myron program this year, but I am confident that the program Glassmen field this year will be up to par.

The #1 priority at the Glassmen has and always will be providing the membership with the best experience possible, and that does include show design. I have had the opportunity to play some wonderful horn books and march some breathtaking drill, as many of us here have; it is undoubtedly part of the experience for the membership that the program be a good fit for the organization. It is part of the members' experience that the program they are provided with--essentially, their vehicle for the DCI Grand Prix--a show that allows the corps to be as successful as possible.

I don't see any evidence here that the Glassmen have made a change to their MO, nor do I think it fair to so instantly and negatively judge Mr. Scotella. I personally cannot wait to see what they come up with, and am excited to see Key really get his hands dirty with the corps this season. I actually am very excited about the upcoming season. There is an energy about the corps that I have, personally, not experienced before. There has been a flurry of pre-season online activity, fundraising, alumni organization, and everyone is trying to find something they can give; I've never seen anything like it before. It is actually a very, very exciting time.

So let's say we hire you and your fantastic high school band skills to write the music and drill for the corps. You did it with a high school on a budget so clearly you're the man for the job. But, for sake of discussion, you're terrible. Miserable. A joke. The students don't want to be a part of this high school garbage. The corps is not full because they are not going to have a competitive and worthwhile show for the experience they seek. Now what?

Wow, well played. This must be accurate.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced
  • Like 1