Drum Corps for Engineering Majors

So I am a freshman in college, majoring in engineering (civil, for those that wonder). When I was making the decision whether or not to audition for a world class corps this year, I was constantly reminded by friends and family of how difficult it will be for me to get a job post-college in today's economy, without getting summer internships first. I am auditioning anyway, and was able to rationalize this decision to myself by thinking that I am just a freshman, I have three more years to get internships should the opportunity arise, and that I would like to have at least one year of world class under my belt while I know I have the chance. As such, I am going into this drum corps season with the assumption that it will be my last- a sobering thought, for an eighteen-year-old.

Does anyone have any suggestions/similar experiences/anything remotely helpful as to how I might be able to make this work in the future- ideally I would like to march my age out and still have a solid chance at a job after college...

Edited by laser.lemon

In this economic climate, and for that matter, any other time, even having internships is no guarantee of getting a job. Will passing up internships to march possibly set you back somewhat in finding a job in the time that you want to find one? Possibly. Will you ever be able to march a DCI corps if you do nothing but internships during the summer? No. Will you regret not having any internships or enough internships to make you desirable to someone hiring? Possibly. Will you regret marching a DCI corps if you really, really want to, but forsake the opportunity to prepare yourself as best you know how for the job market? Probably.

My standard line is one has the rest of their life to make money, but only a limited number of years to enjoy youth. I stay in touch and still see people I marched with 35 years ago. They are still quite special to me. I haven't stayed in touch or seen anyone from my first job for what seems to be eons.

• Like 4

I had a similar experience growing up near Chicago. I waited until my age out year to think about drum corps. If I had thought about it, I should have done what you are doing. Marching 2 summers, then doing 2 summer interships would have been the overall smarter thing to do. Mind you it was in the early 80s and jobs were not as difficult to find then as they are now. However, I also beleive it may have hurt me finacially in the first 7 years of my career, but if you work hard at your job, the difference can be made up and even surpassed. Drum corps teaches you to overcome difficulties and acheive more than you think you can. Now, over 25 years later, I make as much or more than most of my college class mates. So, I woud suggest marching at least one summer maybe 2, before you start working the rest of your life.

As far as corps near you. There are not a lot. Good luck with your decision.

Go Oregon Crusaders! (sorry, had to toss taht in as well)

I work in an environment where I routinely interact with engineering interns. How you approach this really depends on your approach to engineering and how certain you want to be of getting a job in that field.

On one hand, if you are an engineering major at MIT and operating in the upper 1/4 of your class, missing a Summer or 2 of internships likely won't hurt your marketability.

On the other hand, if you are an engineering major at a school not necessarily known for being a great engineering school, then an internship will be a)harder to get, and b) will be key to demonstrating your capability. In this case the internship can add "credential" to your pedigree if the internship is at a well respected company.

Your passion for drum corps is a already established. Spend some time thinking about your passion for engineering and pursuit of that, because that is the trade off.

For what its worth, I've counseled many (including my own kids) that you have you entire life to work.

I can think of one engineering major/graduate in particular that was a DM at the Blue Stars that is pretty successful with a Fortune 500. He is just a few years out of drum corps, reads this forum regularly, and I am sure he might be able to give you some great advice. :cool:

Edited by njthundrrd

Laser.Lemon,

I'm the guy that njthundrrd was talking about. I spent two years as the Blue Stars DM and 2009 age out. I was a Chemical Engineering undergrad, with about 4-5 other minors to throw in there. It took me 5 years to finish school because I wanted to. I NEVER had an internship, co-op, or anything else while I was in college. I did get the opportunity to do some incredible cutting edge research that landed my name on a few papers and patent. I work for a Fortune 50 company, PepsiCo and I graduated in the peak of the recession in 2010. I had secured that job WELL before I graduated, in Nov. of 2009. PepsiCo was attracted to me because of the various leadership roles I had taken both in and out of school...cough cough...drum corps.

Follow your passion, and your dreams and desires will take care of themselves. I met so many people that have become an instrumental part of my network. One staff member who worked with us worked for Raytheon. Another random person in the audience heard I was an engineering student and gave me their card to contact them after the season. The list goes on, literally, staff, volunteers, you name it, I was getting connected to awesome people who knew someone who knew someone, that could help me build a phenomenal network. People I still call and leverage to this day.

The point I'm making is there is realistically 4 more years before you graduate. You have a finite amount of time to march drum corps and the rest of your life to work, and believe me there is plenty of it. Engineering students across the country have the LOWEST unemployment rate of college graduates. I'm not telling you finding a job will be easy, especially when you take into account your personal lifestyle, but what I am telling you is that you can find a job.

Also I drove 14 hours to Indy to make it to Blue Stars camps, so find a corps that interests you; location is not excuse to not march there. You'll make it work if you want it bad enough.

All the best man and good luck as audition season approaches! FCO!

-JP, EI

2008 & 2009 Blue Star DM

DCI Age-out 2009

BS in Chemical Engineering

• Like 3

Thanks for all the responses everyone, that's really encouraging; though I can't help but think that this may be a biased source ;)

As for the actual audition, I have already made arrangements to audition for Phantom Regiment next month, though in retrospect that may have been the most expensive option I possibly could have gone with (flights alone are looking at about $600 a month round-trip from Bozeman to Chicago and back, plus other costs). However, I am not letting that stop me- I will just have to rely heavily on sponsorships and outside sources of money if I am to afford college next year (though that topic warrants a multitude of threads on its own...)

Thanks for all the responses everyone, that's really encouraging; though I can't help but think that this may be a biased source ;)

True...We will always be biased towards drum corps, and none of us will think that's a bad thing. Follow your dream and at least you won't be able to regret not trying.

• Like 1