What is it?

What is the black plastic thing just below the mouthpiece that I see on all drum corps instruments?

MadisonTuba.jpg

Thanks for the replies! Under the heading of "It's better to admit ignorance than feign intelligence" - What purpose do they serve? I played sax up through high school and marched senior corps so long ago that I can't recall seeing these before, let alone knowing what function they serve.

Thanks for the replies! Under the heading of "It's better to admit ignorance than feign intelligence" - What purpose do they serve? I played sax up through high school and marched senior corps so long ago that I can't recall seeing these before, let alone knowing what function they serve.

They don't really serve any magical purpose. They are basically just a tool to help you buzz more efficiently. Buzzing is great for a number of things! For me it helps immensely with ear training, forcing me to play the notes without relying on the slotting of the horn to help me out. Being able to finger along while buzzing is a nice benefit

• Like 2

I looked into this when it first came out. (I'm a percussionist, so it was purely out of curiosity.) It seemed that the device was being promoted to help overcome resistance in breath support.

Here's a link to the company's website, which appears to have lots of info about the creation and applicability of the device.

It allows you to "play" (buzz), theoretically with about the same back pressure as if you were putting air through the instrument, while being considerably quieter and still being able to hold the instrument at normal playing position.

One of these days I'll get around to marketing a Finger Acceleration and Repetition Teacher.

In the meantime, don't ever try and use this as a pickup line in a nightclub though, ok ?

Buzz Extension and Resistance Piece.

And DEFINATELY don't use this as a pick up line.

no... no.