Spirit of Atlanta announces 2013 show

What a great weekend I had in the big ATL. I have visited before, but never had time to really explore much.

First, if you are a foody and can save a few pennies (OK, dollars), you have to make reservations at Empire State South. Wow! Now one the best meals I have ever had. The owner is Hugh Achenson, the unibrow guy you often see on the food network or cooking shows on Bravo. Second, we went to Stone Mountain because the weather was like late spring, 74 or so degrees everyday. What an amazing place. A hugh granite rock placed in the middle of greater Atlanta. Beautiful. However, besides great times with great friends, the highlight of my weekend was getting to go to Spirit of Atlanta's open house on Sunday. Thanks oldsoprano on the location tips. We got there at about 11:20 so I got to hear final ensemble preparations on some show music. I later learned it was their show opening. I have seen and heard early performances of some corps

and have heard PR the past few seasons in the winter, so that is my point of reference. When we opened the double glass doors of the school I could hear the brass and drums and I instantly thought, OMG, this sounds amazing. I was almost embarrassed in that I expected them to sound good, but not like this. I got to hear the opening and ballad. Their show coordinator said that the ballad was not to follow the opening in the show, so I am not sure why they didn't play all the show music up to and through the ballad. I loved both pieces. As the show coordinator stated, the opening music is a perfect for putting the audience in 1920. The piece is probably just over a minute long, but oh my, what they cram in that amount of time is off the hook crazy exciting if you ask me. Oh, and to say the old Spirit sound was beginning to emerge last year, I would say it is back but with2013 quality. Holy trumpets Batman! Holy Pit Robin! not to down play any other sections. I make no preseason predictions based on this. I just say that I was blown away as were my non-corps friends. Yes it was inside and there was lots of reverb, but all considered, they performed like they were having the time of their lives, you could see and feel it while they practiced and during the concert. Hearing Georgia was equally great. Thanks Spirit of Atlanta for the wintertime corps fix. Have a great winter and great summer.

What were their numbers like? Did it seem the sections were set or like they were still in audition mode? Any announcement about source material? What was the opener and ballad from?

Thanks ahead of time.

What were their numbers like? Did it seem the sections were set or like they were still in audition mode? Any announcement about source material? What was the opener and ballad from?

Thanks ahead of time.

I would say that about 80% of the hornline in attendance were call backs and after this weekend most of the sections will be set except for some of the last spots. Battery and pit were pretty much set for this camp. As for the music, I will let the corps make that announcement, but I will tell you that in the opener, from NOTE 1 you will recognize the tune and it will firmly set you into the 1920's!! Can't wait to see this production on the field in 2013!!

• 2 months later...

This seems very cool, and very new Spirit! I am so excited they haven't decided to totally change directions as so many up and coming drum corps wrongfully do.

SMART! Yes, it seems somewhat connected to the past two years. Again I say, SMART! I applaud them for creating a new niche for themselves in 2011 and 2012 and not trying to be Cavies, or BD, or Phantom. We all complain on here that we want more variety and less generic copy cat drum corps. Seems the crowd has liked the direction they have gone and I for one think they have been super clever and calculating with their choices, and they have harkened back enough to their past that I feel the are old/new Spirit in the best of both ways. BD looks and sounds like BD and uses similar devices every year, as does PR, Crown, Cavies, SCV, etc. I hope to see and hear what they have lead me to expect from them. That opener and Luck be a Lady were definite winners last year.

My brain is of course thinking through all the possibilities for a show called Speakeasy. I for one think there is a lot they could do and with this concept. We all have also seen what can happen to recruiting once a new comer gets in finals and stays in. Best of luck Spirit. I look forward to what this concept will bring.

I can only see great things from This Drum Corps! This staff has a plan, that's for sure. Go Spirit of Atlanta!