Sal Salas leaving Glassmen

On his facebook page Sal has stated 25 minutes ago that he has resigned from the Glassmen.

Now what?

Have they been able to pay off some debt?

Their website was down a few days ago, not sure if it is back up.

Interesting.

• Like 1

There are also no dates listed on the website, which is back up, for upcoming camps/events. There is also no information under "current season."

• Like 1

I wouldn't read too much into that, that's actually pretty typical of the Glassmen website in years past.

Which I know is the case. At the same time, if I was going to audition for a corps and I didn't even see camp dates, or a direct contact under the contact page, which I just looked for and there isn't, I seriously doubt I would want to audition or encourage my kid to head there.

Not trying to be disrespectful, but there is a difference between being secretive and just plain hiding.

The only dates listed are for the audition camps that just passed.

They're not doing themselves any favors.

• Like 1

I like how you are "minusing" each other. Now what? Sal does whatever his next thing is, in or outside of drum corps, and G-Men move on. I would like to think the organization is bigger than one person. I would like to think any organization is bigger than one person. If not, then that organzation has a lot bigger problems.

• Like 3

I like how you are "minusing" each other. Now what? Sal does whatever his next thing is, in or outside of drum corps, and G-Men move on. I would like to think the organization is bigger than one person. I would like to think any organization is bigger than one person. If not, then that organzation has a lot bigger problems.

That still doesn't explain why there is no information regarding upcoming camps, auditions, staff, contacts, etc. listed on their site.

That's a fact, and not a good one in my opinion.

The organization is bigger than 1 person, but when a group beg's for money 2 months ago, holds auditions, and puts no information out there, THAT'S A PROBLEM.

What if I missed the 1st audition camp and wanted to go to the next one, I can't because I don't know when it is, and I can't contact someone to find out when it is.

Explain that. Show me how that makes sense.

The Glassmen.org website is temporarily off-line for maintenance. Please pardon the inconvenience. We will be back soon.

The Glassmen Board of Directors welcome Michael McGreevy to board membership. Mike will be assisting with logistics and planning. Also, welcome back to Maureen Moomey who has rejoined the board after a brief hiatus.

Glassmen 2012 – 2013 Camp Schedule<br style="color: rgb(128, 128, 128); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px;"><br style="color: rgb(128, 128, 128); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px;">November 23 - 25 Audition Camp 6pm Fri – 2pm Sun<br style="color: rgb(128, 128, 128); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px;">December 14 –16 Audition Camp 8pm Fri – 2pm Sun <br style="color: rgb(128, 128, 128); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px;">January 11 – 13 Rehearsal Camp 8pm Fri – 2pm Sun (Brass & Perc) <br style="color: rgb(128, 128, 128); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px;">February 22 - 24 Rehearsal Camp 8pm Fri – 2pm Sun (Brass & Perc)

March ?? - ?? Rehearsal Camp 8pm Fri – 2pm Sun (Brass & Perc)

April 26 – 28 Rehearsal Camp 8pm Fri – 2pm Sun (all sections)

May 10 – 12 Rehearsal Camp 8pm Fri - 2pm Sun (all sections)

May 21 Move in (Percussion only) – Early Tuesday evening*

May 24 Move in (full corps)*

*Rehearsals continue every day until we depart on tour

March Camp dates originally fell on Easter Weekend - the dates are being reconsidered.

so in a little time i found you a message about the website, an addition to the corps, and a camp schedule. Dont blow stuff up and out of proportion. Sal was a great person with the corps and when he wasnt with the corps. He will be missed.

• Like 2

I just think its interesting how in the last few years, due in very large part to the failings of Brian Hickman and the poor design and lack of leadership by Sal, the corps is in a worse place than it has been in the last 20 years. Financially, Brian could barely keep the wheels on, having to borrow money from a local Indiana band director just to get the busses to Indy to WATCH finals in 2011. Various staff decisions by Brian and Sal have left certain parts of the corps in very poor quality, and if it weren't for the amazing volunteer corps that Glassmen is lucky to have, I don't know if anything would get done. Kudos to the veteran instructional staff members and the volunteers for holding the Glassmen together despite the efforts of others. I hope that the Glassmen can now move on to much bigger and better.

• Like 3

The pessimism surrounding this is palpable, and to be honest, quite overblown. Yes, Sal and Brian did amazing things with the corps in the late nineties/early 2000s...but honestly, for all their hype and the hype within the organization surrounding these individuals, the panic that is being expressed is entirely disproportionate. The Boston Crusaders went through a similar turnover a few years ago, losing some big DCI personalities such as Howard Weinstein and Kevin Ford. The corps (calmly and quietly) turned to itself to replace this loss, appointed Tom Spataro as executive director, and have enjoyed success that has the corps knocking on the "G8"'s front door. Loss of talent does not happen in a vacuum, and the hysterics that many people are behaving with is simply unwarranted.

Last I had heard, the Glassmen had already worked off over 40% of their $300,000 goal. That was about a month ago, and after only two months of fundraising efforts. There have been successful Presidential campaigns predicated on less. The alumni network that has been established and is off and running is very significant. The Glassmen have never exactly had a public relations firm representing them online, and I have to wonder if Cavies or Cadets spent a week without camp dates on their website if it would garner a similar reaction...well, I don't wonder, we all know it would not. Everyone was "shocked" that the loss of Michael Gaines and Jeff Fiedler resulted in the corps taking a relatively minor hit in placement, nothing more drastic than other groups have recovered from in the past. As members of the G-Family come together to bring resources to the organization, there is a very effective "slow burn" that has been building to clear away the debris from 2012. Quite frankly, people running around like chickens sans heads in public over a Facebook status post is unbecoming conduct, regardless of your relation to the group. Express your concern, if it is so great, by pounding your wallet instead of your keyboard. Otherwise, you're just a concern troll.

Sal Salas will move on. The Glassmen will move on. It is important to acknowledge the reality of the situation, and the reality is that many people are pulling very hard for this drum corps family. I have been very encouraged by what I've seen. The Glassmen's rather public move to encourage activity has had many consequences; the drum corps community should be encouraging the positive ones instead of piling on the negatives in public.

• Like 5

"You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you will join us, and the world will live as one." - John Lennon

Hmmmmmm...... That philosophical fantasy sure worked out in real life for both Mr. Lennon and the Beatles didn't it? :tongue:

• Like 3