Time for a Revolution in Footwear

Let's clear up some points here:

Finding ways to improve the quality of life for the performers is never a bad idea, and never something that indicates you "need a new hobby." I know Mr. Boo isn't the sort to make mean-spirited remarks, but it merits saying that the community at large shouldn't be hostile to ideas like this.

There are most definitely improvements to be made to current marching footwear. Even if you've never felt uncomfortable after wearing thin-soled show shoes in the lot, or rolled an ankle because the running shoes your staff advised you buy didn't offer lateral support, others have and will continue to do so.

I didn't say he needed a new hobby...I suggested he needed a hobby. The smiley, so I thought, was well implied. That's why I topped it off with a Beatles tribute.

Necessity is the mutha of invention. If there's a serious need for new footwear, then someone will (ahem) step in and make it. If not, then we'll continue to festoon the feet of our corps members with pretty Dinkles.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 3

I didn't say he needed a new hobby...I suggested he needed a hobby. The smiley, so I thought, was well implied. That's why I topped it off with a Beatles tribute.

Necessity is the mutha of invention. If there's a serious need for new footwear, then someone will (ahem) step in and make it. If not, then we'll continue to festoon the feet of our corps members with pretty Dinkles.

All is good. :)

The point of a redesigned, major-brand shoe is that a nationally-touring high-visibility group should be able to land a corporate sponsor who pays for their gear. Corps members already rehearse in matching shorts anyway!

I did a project a few years back on this topic; I'll have to dig up my images. Here's the laundry list of things to improve:

waterproof uppers

ankle and lateral-movement support

rolled heel

split sole (for flexibility)

same feel for performance and rehearsals

clean-cut looks, potentially tailored to match individual uniforms

reinforced contact points where heels and toes rub during mark-time

larger "platform" at the front of the foot for toe-lead, halts, and jazz runs

potential corps logos

washable liners / uppers

and much, much more. I'd prefer not to go too far into detail, as I may end up taking the drawings to market eventually.

• Like 1

System Blue Nikes? No thank you please.

I've always though a corps could just select something already on the market and each member could buy a pair or two to bring on tour. Practice in whatever you want, and maybe do the run thru a more worn pair of "show shoes". I think a turf cleat might work well, especially on a slick surface.

Do hornlines allow players to practice on whatever mouthpiece they want, but perform with everyone on the same show mouthpiece?

Do drumlines allow players to practice on whatever sticks they want, but perform on the same show sticks?

Professional dancers use the same make/model of shoes for rehearsals as performances.

Professional athletes practice in the same type of shoes they use for games.

The extremely high level of athletic demand and precision of execution these days requires something different than the status quo. It is definitely time to step up the game here. I think the activity has reached a level of maturity (in both execution and experience in dealing with brands/manufacturers for R&D, promotion, etc.) where this is now feasible.

• Like 2

All is good. :)

Yes, because those who have followed you for a long time know you've got a healthy sense of humor.

Recently, I've been looking into marching shoes a bit. I've come to the conclusion that 100% of them are absolutely horrible.

Not only do they look bad, can't be all that comfortable or be designed to support the current athletic demand.

On top of this, they are not surface specific. In all field sports, athletes change footwear based on surface type and conditions. This should absolutely be the case in drum corps.

There is enough of a market with bands, where there is more than enough commercial proof, that it is past the time for these homegrown marching shoe brands. Something better is not only possible, it should now be required. Corps should also rehearse in the same footwear they perform in. If it isn't good enough to rehearse in, how can it be good enough to perform in????

So, with this in mind, I threw together what I might imagine a first pass (hope evolution of this would become much more sophisticated) at a hypothetical Nike design for Blue Devils - grass and turf options (corps should use both during the season, change for surface type).

Only real change here would be dark sole on turf option.

nikebdgrass1.png

nikebdgrass2.png

nikebdgrass3.png

nikebdgrass4.png

nikebdgrass5.png

nikebdgrass6.png

nikebdgrass7.png

nikebdgrass8.png

nikebdturf8.png

nikebdturf7.png

nikebdturf6.png

nikebdturf5.png

nikebdturf4.png

nikebdturf3.png

nikebdturf2.png

Some folks have way too much time on their hands.

:lle: all in good fun,

Fred O.

Necessity is the mutha of invention.

I thought Frank Zappa was. :tongue: