Time for a Revolution in Footwear

Why not just buy those shoes that are nearly nothing but sole and lace? Why do you need something when your foot is already the best tool for marching?

That would only be true if marching technique migrated away from a heel-strike in a big way. Some corps are doing this already, IIRC. Using a toe-lead for a majority of movement, and I think it's an excellent idea.

• Like 1

Uniforms are moving in a new direction.... more like dance or athletic wear.

What has been seen recently with corps like Bluecoats and Blue Devils, in terms of removing headgear and jackets... that direction is the future.

Changes in footwear are a natural part of this.

Some one out there will eventually revolutionize this and will profit quite handsomely from it, whether it is an established brand or niche manufacturer... it will happen.

They also don't have to be crazy expensive to be good. Nike's team wear is cheaper than their retail stuff. Great shoes for around $50 This pricepoint works.

A bit of back of the napkin...

Let's say you sell for $45 and conservative cost (including shipping, marketing, overhead contribution, etc.) is $25.

You clear $20/pair... If you can move 80k pairs per year, that is $1,600,000 PROFIT

Again, the aim is to sell kids 2 pairs... rehearsal and performance.

Here is the problem.... Everyone has different feet. You cant possibly force a group to wear the same shoe at rehearsal because everyone has specific needs. Its different for show shoes since you are not wearing them nearly as long.

Its all about contacting the right person at a company like Nike? Let me know when they actually respond.

• Like 1

Uniforms are moving in a new direction.... more like dance or athletic wear.

What has been seen recently with corps like Bluecoats and Blue Devils, in terms of removing headgear and jackets... that direction is the future.

Changes in footwear are a natural part of this.

Some one out there will eventually revolutionize this and will profit quite handsomely from it, whether it is an established brand or niche manufacturer... it will happen.

They also don't have to be crazy expensive to be good. Nike's team wear is cheaper than their retail stuff. Great shoes for around $50 This pricepoint works.

A bit of back of the napkin...

Let's say you sell for $45 and conservative cost (including shipping, marketing, overhead contribution, etc.) is $25.

You clear $20/pair... If you can move 80k pairs per year, that is $1,600,000 PROFIT

Again, the aim is to sell kids 2 pairs... rehearsal and performance.

The Viper shoe alone is a revolutionary thing, and it started several corps down the road of dancelike motion long before Blue Devils and Bluecoats took their coats off or Crown moved away from a traditional uniform jacket. It's constructed like a dance shoe, allowing for ridiculous flexibility but still maintains athletic support and a professional look that will blend well with a very traditional marching uniform or a modern indoor pageantry arts type uniform.

Basically, I feel that there's no need for a shoe revolution now because it's already happened. I know advances are being made in almost every avenue of technology, but until we discover a new way to move, I don't see a need for a new shoe. As a recent DCI performer and current DCA performer, I am very satisfied with the newest products available. Many of my friends agree as well.

The Viper shoe alone is a revolutionary thing, and it started several corps down the road of dancelike motion long before Blue Devils and Bluecoats took their coats off or Crown moved away from a traditional uniform jacket. It's constructed like a dance shoe, allowing for ridiculous flexibility but still maintains athletic support and a professional look that will blend well with a very traditional marching uniform or a modern indoor pageantry arts type uniform.

Basically, I feel that there's no need for a shoe revolution now because it's already happened. I know advances are being made in almost every avenue of technology, but until we discover a new way to move, I don't see a need for a new shoe. As a recent DCI performer and current DCA performer, I am very satisfied with the newest products available. Many of my friends agree as well.

Blue Devils took off their coats in 92. We wore those shiny Dinkle's back then (though we really didn't move much compared to now :-) ).

Viper and Super Drillmasters are a baby step in the right direction. I'm talking about something a bit more radical.

Its all about contacting the right person at a company like Nike? Let me know when they actually respond.

Um, you do know I had one of the largest athletic shoe manufacturers in the world as a client for several years, right? Somehow they responded to my calls. :-)

• Like 2

Seems I have one now. :-)

Not advocating more spending, but exploring wider opportunities for sponsorship.

All this takes is approaching the right contact in the right company to get the ball rolling. The numbers are there.

Nike and all other major brands make cheeleading shoes. Yet, how many more kids are there out there in scholastic marching bands compared to cheerleading?

What about sports like lacrosse?

2267046111.jpg

These uniforms for University of Oregon were designed and produced by Nike and provided for free to the group.

Seems it is only a matter of time before Nike and others get into this game. They'd be sort of stupid not to. Drum corps should be very aggressively going after this market (psst... Oregon Crusaders?).

If you're not yet convinced this is coming... watch this:

These are out in spring and will be around $100. Wondering which guard will use them first.

Phil Knight graduate for UofO - that is the reason why all of the sports teams and the marching band get all free uniforms. That is also the reason why UofO's football team has 50 different uniform options. Nike isn't just going to hand out drum corps uniforms/shoes for free, or for a cheap price.

Phil Knight graduate for UofO - that is the reason why all of the sports teams and the marching band get all free uniforms. That is also the reason why UofO's football team has 50 different uniform options. Nike isn't just going to hand out drum corps uniforms/shoes for free, or for a cheap price.

How about if we asked nice and said, "please"?

How about if we asked nice and said, "please"?

If you say please, and if you get on your knees, flap your arms like wings, and quack like a duck.