trying out for DCI guard

Landoeli

It has been my dream for a while to join a div. I drum corps. However, my parents don't agree and I am having a hard time trying to convince them. Do you have any suggestions on how to persuade them? Also, I am afraid that I am not talented enough to make the guard, such as in the cadets, and the flight from Texas to New Jersey would be a waste of time. What should I do? :(

Well, I wrote this big long spiel for you and I got to wondering if maybe you are already in a smaller Corps looking to go to a bigger Corps? If you are, then I guess you can skip the rest of this long winded answer. If you don't belong to a Corps, then mayge you'll still be interested... :)

First off I am from old school Guard and so can't give specific tips on the equipment usage and dance they use today. Maybe Dance lessons and being in your HS band is the way to start if you aren't there already. Corps look for a positive "can do" attitude. The ability to listen and take instruction. A willingness to accept criticism and to work HARD to improve yourself but most of all, Total Commitment.

However, as far as your parents go. If possible, go to a show. Take them to a rehearsal of a corps that may be near by and have them talk to the director or instructors about what is involved. Watch Finals on T.V. when it is on together. The format nowadays is more documentary and informative about the activity than the straight show. Have them go to different websites of local corps to help them understand what is going on. Have them come onto this website and have their questions answered by those who have the experience to answer them.

Ask them if they would rather you hang at the mall all Summer or would they want you to be involved with an activity that will help you obtain self discipline along with making lifelong friends. An activity that will let you see the great USA and keep your body in a healthy shape. An activity that will teach you positive skills that you can carry with you into adulthood.

If money is involved, maybe you can get a part time job to help defray the costs. Don't let your grades fall. School comes first.

If you don't think you can make it into an elite Div1 Corps, there are many, many corps out there you can try out for. The training is amazing and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a part of a Div2/3 Corps. They can be just as exciting and rewarding as going for a big league Corps. The point is, no matter what Divisin Corps you go for, you will be a part of this wonderful world of Drum Corps and have a chance to see what you have within yourself. That is more important than the ring IMHO.

Edited by MsBusDriver

Thanks for the advice. I am just in my high school band and have never marched with a corps before. My parents don't like the idea of me not having a summer job, being away when I should be preparing for college, etc. I think I will just bother them enough about it that they'll let me audition just to get me out of their hair.

Um, I may be wrong, but I think some Corps offer College credits or Scholarships. I remember hearing something to that affect. Have them check it out.

Spirit does.. marching in Spirit is a college class at JSU in Jacksonville, AL.. and they have a great fall/winter band program..

Where in Texas are you located?

Landoeli,

I know first hand how difficult it is to convince your parents to let you march. I had the same tough battle trying to convince my parents(more specifically my mom) to let me travel back and forth from New York city to Chicago 3 times a week, spend weekends there all at the ripe old age of 13. The best way to introduce your parents to your desires is to show them how willing you are to make it happen. In my case I play keyboards. So every chance to use this "gift" to make money I took. During the time when school was in, I took a part-time job(not alot of hours) just to make a little extra money and to show my parents of the seriouness of my pursuit. I also asked her and my dad to come to my school bands competition. And lastly, I practiced, practiced, practiced till I just couldn't move a muscle for one whole year before my audition to make sure I could compete with the rest of the crowd.

When my parent saw how VERY serious I was, and how hard I was working, and how good I had gotten on flag and rifle they signed on. My mother insisted on going to my audition because I was only 13 y/o. I was the youngest to audition that year and I made it much to EVERYONES surprise(including mine)

Once my parents saw that I could compete with the older guys, they were sold lock, stock and barrel(excuse the pun). Not only were my parent sold, but they became die hard Cavalier and Royce Marching band supporters. The only rule they made was that I continue to get straight A's and they would dole out the cash. I complied and so did they.

The moral of my story was that you have to let your parents see that you are VERY SERIOUS about making this happen, even if you had to go the extra mile and a half. When my parents saw me telling my friends that I had no time to play but had to practice, when they saw me working and studying really hard to keep my end of the deal, they were convinced. When they saw my first Cavalier show they were so proud that they made sure I had everything I needed to succeed.

I don't think I fought so hard for anything since my 1979 debut with the Cavaliers, but it was worth the fight because after that, it was easy sailing getting money for colorguard and any other drum corps related activity.

Also, don't limit yourself to just a Div I. Perhaps your parents would feel better with you in a Div II or Div III for your first year. My daughter campaigned long and hard to get permission to march guard this summer with the Rochester Patriots (Div II). It helped me that I had seen the SA show last summer so I knew what drum corps was all about. Point your parents towards the different forum boards to read and there are also columns on the DCI page that they would be of interest to them.

By the way, there are Texas kids marching Patriots from Dallas area, Round Rock and Houston area. Some of these kids went to one weekend practice before they had their move in, which wasn't until mid June this year.

Good luck..

If you're going to go D2 and you live in Texas, you ought to go over to San Antonio and march Revolution. It is a great corps and an excellent place for anyone to march. Oh, and its in Texas!

Check the website - www.revolution-corps.org

• 4 weeks later...

As a parent of a guard member who had to let my daughter drive back and forth several times both this year and last year from SC to NJ for try outs and camp, my question is how old are you?

I can't imagine a better life lesson then to travel with a DC all summer. Do your parents realize how much work is involved and how much personal responsibility you learn?

I am so pleased that my daughter choose this route. She didn't start until her first year in College though.

Maybe if you find someone else in your area that can go with you they would feel more comfortable. That is what my daughter did. Her first year she and her boyfriend (brass player) went and this past year she went with the colorguard instructor she was working with. It did bring a level of comfort to me that she had someone to look out for her.

Good Luck, I think it is a great experience that will last a lifetime. :)