Cavaliers adding direct media purchases

Cavaliers are introducing a service for downloading / purchasing their in-house videos/DVD's.

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?cmd=showstory&id=1360

So now BD, Cadets, Crown (to a lesser extent) and Cavaliers are competing, either directly or indirectly, with Fan Network. I'm assuming this is tied up in the G-7 politics; these corps are now leveraging their non-DCI material in order to make extra money.

Gotta say, $1.99 for multi-cam HD video of their 2012 show is a heck of a deal. And if they add the back catalog, there are many more I'd buy.

Mike

Gotta say, $1.99 for multi-cam HD video of their 2012 show is a heck of a deal.

Mike

I'd have to agree. Under 2 bucks for this particular Cavaliers show seems about right to me as well. I could see them raising about $300 bucks on this. If thats competition with DCI Fan Network, than competition it is.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Ouch! I actually thought it was a heck of a show, and fit right in with other "Cavaliers" style programs. Anyways, I'm also looking forward to their "other" DVD products as well - they have put out good stuff for many years.

On one hand, this is a good thing - more media avaiable online and for download is awesome! On the other, we are shifting back towards pretty extreme fragmentation of the market, which makes it kind of tough on collectors or fans of more than one corps. Fan Network at first was brilliant for that, in bringing everything into a central location. But, I also don't know the terms of FN's licensing and payments, so it might make more money for corps in the long run to run their own store.

Either way, like I said, more content online = good.

Mike

• Like 1

I'd have to agree. Under 2 bucks for this particular Cavaliers show seems about right to me as well.

For just $0.99, you get two downloads of "Fifteen Minutes of Fame."

(Okay...I'm probably going to hear about that from some of my fellow alums.)

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

Fewer things are more appealing than some well placed self deprecating humor there Michael. Well played, Sir ( haha ! )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What Brasso said...nice one!

• Like 1

Downloaded the show when I got home. 650 megs - yikes! I wonder if they have a little *less* HQ version? Played great, though. And I actually love the show *more* after being able to see the multi cam version. The streaming version (which you also get access to when you buy the download) comes in 1080/720/480/240 versions.

All in all, if they keep the price points this low, I'm going to be buying a *lot* of stuff from them as they add it.

Mike

• Like 1