Doug Kenyon (Pooh Bear, Moonie)

For those of you who knew Doug, and for those of you not fortunate enough to have met him...

Doug was a "lifer" in drum corps, from the Colt Cadets, to the Colt .45's, the Colts (see if you can find a 1980 recording and listen to him wail on "There's a Boat Dats Leavin'". More of you will be able to find his 1981 Blue Devils performance as the lower 1/2 of the baritone duet in "Dindi".

He proudly donned the uniforms of the Kilties, Royalaires Alumni Corps, and others.

He loved playing his horn, and lived life as loud as he played. If you never saw Doug coming at you down a mountainside on his skis, full bore and laughing... what a sight!!!

He was a good friend, and I had the chance to say goodbye and tell him what a huge influence he's been on my drum corps life, always encouraging me during my marching years.

Peace, my friend.

Chuck Naffier

• Like 5

I was one of Doug's roommates in 1981... He was an amazing person... He filled his potential as well as his legend as well and as fully as anyone I have ever known. I am so sorry to hear that we have lost Doug. This has been one hell of the beginning to the new year :-(

I'll miss ya Pooh... I'm going to watch my 81 DVD now and spend some time with Doug!

• Like 4

I knew quite a few BD folks from 80-81 but never met Doug. I do remember how wonderful Dindi was performed on the field. It's sad to see folks we marched and competed with pass away in what I'm assuming his early 50's.

Even when I don't know someone, it's comforting in times like this to see those who did know them share fond memories that they would not have had without drum corps.

• Like 1

Even when I don't know someone, it's comforting in times like this to see those who did know them share fond memories that they would not have had without drum corps.

Michael, I didn't realize this but I found out thru a mutual drum corps friend that Doug lived about 6 miles from me. Too bad we never ran into each other as I've always have a drum corps shirt, hat, or jacket on when I'm out and about.

Doug was a good man and as good of a friend as anyone could wish. I'll miss him but I'm willing to bet he's already endeared himself to the Big Guy Upstairs.

I first met him when he was a little kid who rode his bicycle several miles to come watch the Colt .45s practice. He'd hang out on the equipment truck and help out any way he could. Back then, he'd often start a conversation with something like, "I love that part where you guys go, 'Dush da dush da...WOP!'" A year later he was marching. Though never a drummer, his knack for recalling and singing drum parts from corps spanning 4 decades never ebbed, and it was something I enjoyed immensely over the last 40 years.

Rest in Peace my friend.

• Like 1

...I met Doug, officially, when he marched with the Kingsmen Alumni ('06-07), and he was a standout in a truly all-star hornline. One day, an original Kingsmen (yup, there were quite a few of them marching!) came up to me and asked me to talk to the "large baritone with the goatee." The situation originated in a set where the entire line is compressed into a very small area...at least small for 140 horns, heh...and Doug was placed directly behind said original Kingsmen, at maybe 3 steps. The asker, a soprano doncha know (heh), wanted *me* to ask *Doug* to "...not play so loud." Well, after I got done hackin' up a furrball, catching my breath which was ALL gone, and wiping my face where the tears had flowed, I asked, in the calmest way I could, "...do you know who that is?" Heh, what do you expect from a soprano...he didn't! I let him in on some history, pointed him back to his set, gave him a helping shove, and said, "...wear some earplugs and live with it, dude, ain't NO way I'm tellin' THAT guy to tone it down...NO way!" RIP Pooh, for us that knew you, you live on, and for at least some (like the aforementioned "victim") not privy to your greatness, you live on in their cellular structure...

cg

• Like 6