Halftime 2013 Review

Well, well, well, after watching the 2013 Super Bowl Halftime show for THEIR "World Championship" contest, I can only imagine what the Colts fans thought of DCI's World Champion (and a representative of THE self proclaimed "Magnificent Seven") during a NFL halftime show for a pre-season game.

When it started with the narration I felt like I was in Dayton for WGI's Nationals or a THE Cadets show. So I was unimpressed because I have always said that to get my interest you have got to catch me in the first (I'll give drum corps more than winter guards) 60 seconds.

Trust me I am not a fan of Beyonce, I liked the opening musical number. Then I started to realize, those are a bunch of women out there. LOVE IT!!!! I remembered when there was a time that was true in my fave activities. Unfortunately, SOME designers these days don't realize the strength and power of women.

As the show went on, I was remembering the Ventures, Capitolaires, and Bandettes, then in WGI it was St. Ann's and Blessed Sacrement, even the Suburbanettes (and drum corps). You just didn't mess with the females back in the day!

I thought, how smart of Phantom Regiment to bring back part of their strength from their past to add to their always strong hornline, the all female guard. I just hope they don't cheese it up.

Then the halftime performance went on and a FEW other songs I enjoy were played. BOY, could I see a this on a football field or a basketball court again??? Imagine a fun competitive show like that. Oh well, too late now cause designers didn't think of a entertaining show first.

I'm sure the magnificnt seven will. LMAO.

I just hope come August in Indy that there is a DCI "World" Champion and a Magnificent Seven Champion, and they can't be the same. Only sounds fair to me from what I've heard and read. Even though Hoppie' seems to want to control both aspects.

Okay, back to the Single Ladies, speaking of which, didn't someone mention how their are no women on the Board of Directors of DCI's BoD's units? That's white straight men for ya (Gotta rule the world cause they're scared). Granted there are 2 DCI Board of Directors, we just never hear from the business aspect of things.

Back to the REAL Halftime show. Overall, entertaining (a minus for the current DCI Champion), lots of movement (another minus for the current DCI Champion), lots of visuals (yeah, minus for the current for the DCI Champion), OH and songs (Geez, BIG minus for the current DCI Champion).

Is this a beat up on the current DCI (Magnificent Seven) Champion, no not really. Because as always, I pick my favorites. Ravens and Crown. Just a thank you to Michael for those flipped judges sheets that made it all logical in the Wide World of DCI Sports.

Coming soon to Hoppie' world is prerecorded shows, so members can act out the music.

BTW, I swear I saw Taylor Swift as a backup dancer!!!!

Edited by Bobbie'
  • Like 1

I was struck by the fact that at the Inauguration a couple weeks ago, Beyonce lip-synced the "Star-Spangled Banner" while standing still, whereas yesterday at the Superbowl, she sang a selection of her biggest pop hits while dancing very energetically. I find this backwards. Most of her live singing was barely audible. And I'm not sure how closely the crowd was paying attention. When she asked them to sing along, it didn't sound like many did.

• Like 2

I was struck by the fact that at the Inauguration a couple weeks ago, Beyonce lip-synced the "Star-Spangled Banner" while standing still, whereas yesterday at the Superbowl, she sang a selection of her biggest pop hits while dancing very energetically. I find this backwards. Most of her live singing was barely audible. And I'm not sure how closely the crowd was paying attention. When she asked them to sing along, it didn't sound like many did.

Actually, Technically Beyonce was not lip sync'ing during the inauguration. She said at the Super Bowl press conference that she sung live to a pre-recorded music track with a vocal guide. Her microphone was open, and she could be heard singing by some folks that were close to the podium. She proved she could sing it live at the press conference, and did it without music. Acapella and raw. Don't know many singers of this generation that would do such a thing.

• Like 1