San Antonio Review

I'll tell you what, if the Cavaliers weren't doing what they are doing a lot of fans who came on in the last 4 years would leave, because there would be nothing left that interests them.  The only reason I can sit through a drum corps show is because the Cavaliers are performing material that makes me feel something and gives me hope that this activity might actually go somewhere beautiful.

First of all, I think you would be just about the only one leaving and not supporting anymore based on what kind of shows one corps performs. Please don't heap "lots of people" into your loyalties.

Secondly, if the Cavies doing original shows are your only reason for enjoying the activity, then you've got some issues.

AMEN to THAT!!! TX Mystreaux is right on.

Harvey Phelps

Feeling they are reaching levels of persecution formerly heaped on Star of Indiana, Cavaliers have announced that they are leaving DCI to perform stage shows next year. Their production either will be titled "OUT!" or "Spinning a Corner of a Frame."

:P :P :P :P :P

Harvey you crack me up. Yea I got flamed out by putting out something "bad" about the Cavies. If it wasn't for the drill I'd been out in the hot dog line during their show. This guy from Cavies knew a lot of information about the amount of music they "looked" at. My major fault with the Cavies show is the whole sound control thing. PR came out and had this huge sound and then the Cavies played mesto forte the entire show almost.

Haven't we seen some of this before, Star 93 undefeated until finals night and Cadets turned in one of the best guard and visual shows this DCI fan had ever seen. I was sure Star would win, but didn't. Afterwards, Star went their seperate way.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one, Wayne. The Cavaliers' visual program over the past several years has been absolutely awe-inspiring. I love watching them perform. The music and the visual integrate well, but the music on it's own? It's just not all that appealing to me. It's really not anything I'd care to listen to on it's own. I never skip out on a corps performance when I'm at a show, but when I'm listening to the CDs, I tend to skip over the Cavies. (Although I listen to the ol' "Planets to Planets" CD all the time!) I would love to have the chance to discover what the Cavaliers could do if they combined their current visual program with more ... ummmm ... (conventional? accessible? fan-friendly?) musical arrangements. If they decided to combine Michael Gaines drill with the brighter and more melodic music they used to be known for, the crowd would go absolutely bananas!

Besides ... you've gotta get a chuckle out of someone who "feels dead" watching everyone except the Cavaliers and sometimes SCV and the 'Coats. (They're great corps, of course, but my faves so far this year have been Scouts and Crown ... and I can't wait to get to see PR & BD.) But what does "I mean, they actually play in tune music that could have debuted at Lincoln center not by the dunk tank with the Carni's outside Giant Stadium" mean? - :rolleyes: - You're forced to wonder at whom that barb is directed. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree with Neil about the musical merit of the Cavaliers' original compositions, though. To each his own.

Edited by Orpheus

Did any one see, I think it was either Spirit or Cascades, that two hornline members lost their tuning slides or something on side 2 toward the end of the form toward the end of the show. Then a judge picked them up and tossed them to the side. Just curious.

Yeah I did notice that. There were a lot of things that hit the turf at that show. Everything from tuning slides to drum sticks, to tenors, basses and contras!