Drum corps fights

In 1965, the day after CYO nationals, we stood on the starting line in Revere, watching St. Mary's leave the field. As they trooped the back sideline, the stands emptied and a riot broke out. We saw horns flying, priests pulling kids out of the melee. I thought it was really funny until I realized that we'd have to troop the sidelines, too. I heard a great story from a Windy City Cadet of St. Vincent's storming Cavaliers' busses in 1957, and how Windy City and Cavaliers fought it out with them.

What other fights did you see or participate in?

• Like 1

In 1965, the day after CYO nationals, we stood on the starting line in Revere, watching St. Mary's leave the field. As they trooped the back sideline, the stands emptied and a riot broke out. We saw horns flying, priests pulling kids out of the melee. I thought it was really funny until I realized that we'd have to troop the sidelines, too. I heard a great story from a Windy City Cadet of St. Vincent's storming Cavaliers' busses in 1957, and how Windy City and Cavaliers fought it out with them.

What other fights did you see or participate in?

I know one thing... It was ALWAYS the other Corps fault. ( haha)

After the 64 Pittsfield (MA)Boys Club Standstill won by the Boston Crusaders, we were in the buses waiting to leave. A member of Blessed Sac, the 63 AM Legion Champion, came up to a window and began talking with one of our members. Next thing you know their going at it, the bus begins emptying, and a major brawl takes place.

I've been told by those present that BAC and the Cavies had an incident during the 67 AM Legion parade in Boston.

Edited by Ghost

After the 64 Pittsfield (MA)Boys Club Standstill won by the Boston Crusaders, we were in the buses waiting to leave. A member of Blessed Sac, the 63 AM Legion Champion, came up to a window and began talking with one of our members. Next thing you know their going at it, the bus begins emptying, and a major brawl takes place.

I've been told by those present that BAC and the Cavies had an incident during the 67 AM Legion parade in Boston.

I know that any of us, of a certain age can remember many incidents of fisticuffs between corps. These occurred at parades, at stadia, in bus parking lots, in the men's room at Symphony Hall, and between a carload of kids from one corps against one kid from a rival unit who was standing on the sidewalk outside an ice cream shop eating an ice cream cone on a hot summers day when neither corps had any activities planned.

I don't think it will profit anyone to dredge up ancient history in this regard. It happened. It happened far too often to be of entertainment to anyone. Hopefully, all of those involved grew up, regretted participating, and have moved on to become solid, law abiding, productive citizens.

I know the kid with the ice cream cone did.

Edited by reallyoldfrt

I know the kid with the ice cream cone did.

What flavor was your cone since I'm guessing you were the kid?

As for your reply, I see nothing wrong with the topic. We discuss other topics from decades ago and see no problem with this one. I imagine other alumni of the era have spoken to those marching in their old corps today about the 50's -70's.

• Like 2

I know that any of us, of a certain age can remember many incidents of fisticuffs between corps. These occurred at Hopefully, all of those involved grew up, regretted participating, and have moved on to become solid, law abiding, productive citizens.

I know at least 2 of them that were directly involved in their fair share of fisticuff incidents in those early days in their time in their Corps are now long time DCI judges. Both of them. So I'd say they eventually "grew up and moved on to become solid, law abiding, productive citizens". We can laugh about it now it seems to me. No harm in mentioning the crazy, immature years and incidents for those inclined too it seems to me. You seem like you made it thru alright yourself. I do give credit to the Corps marchers of today in that many more of them seem to have a much better control of their emotions off the field that many that marched back in the day did. This is certainly very commendable, imo.

I do give credit to the Corps marchers of today in that many more of them seem to have a much better control of their emotions off the field that many that marched back in the day did. This is certainly very commendable, imo.

The majority of mm from 40+ years ago were from the the same neighborhoods within cities, had no formal musical training, and hung around together when not practicing. When many band kids, who read music, began marching in D&BC, the rough edges of a corps personality began to soften up.

There was some bad blood between Bones and Madison 07-09. A lot of smack talk... and just pissing each other off (of course it was never my corps fault). But we are really just a bunch of band geeks who think we are cool... you guys back in the day were quite different people than march today.

Although... there might have been a brawl outside of LOS in 09 if our bus driver would have stopped like we requested ph34r.gif

I love reading about this stuff though. Keep it coming!

I'll go back to lurking in this area of DCP...

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Since it seems that people actually DO want to discuss this aspect of the activity, I guess my feelings in this regard were in the minority.

There were many elements of the "teen gang", culture mingled within the drum corps community back in the fifties and sixties, long before the "professionalization" of drum corps. I grew up in Boston, the city, not the corps. There was, at that time, literally a corps in every neighborhood; somewhere in the vicinity of 100 corps in the greater Boston area. The urban based units considered themselves "tough", and the suburban units were thought to be "candya--es. This idea was not valid.

The average unit had 50 to 75 members.

Some units adopted a more belligerent attitude than others. One corps stood out in this regard. At local circuit shows half their supporters would chant, "What's the Attitude?" when the corps was announced. The other half of their fans would respond with, "F--- Them All!. They were perfectly serious about it, while at the same time enjoying the idea of shocking the remainder of the spectators, including the clergy, and families with small children.

That was considered quite socially unacceptable at that time; somewhat less so today.

I, myself, had a very bad temper in my youth, and had the occasional run in with kids in other corps, and a couple of instances with guys in my own unit. For me, these were always strictly personal, with little or no thought to my adversary's corps affiliation. People in the community knew that I could be easily provoked.

Later, when I marched with many of these guys in the Lt Norman Prince Princemen we had no problems at all. The guy who marched right next to me in the tenor drum section was one with whom I had earlier been semi-violently involved. He was a very good drummer, and a good corpsmate, although we were never exactly buddy buddy. We worked well together.

In reply to the guess by Ghost, I was not the kid with the ice cream cone, although we did both play tenor drum. He was from a corps just north of Boston. He went on to instruct several Boston area corps, and always produced very good drumlines. He is a marvelous guy, great-hearted, talented, and I consider him to one of the very good people I've met during a long lifetime. He is also a good friend, not just to me, but to everyone who knows him.

Edited by reallyoldfrt

The majority of mm from 40+ years ago were from the the same neighborhoods within cities, had no formal musical training, and hung around together when not practicing. When many band kids, who read music, began marching in D&BC, the rough edges of a corps personality began to soften up.

True.