Drum corps fights

And out of jail. But, then again, most of the LEO's were from the same neighborhoods and had similar incidents growing up.

OK gotta ask... what the hecks a LEO?

In parades, we were usually the aggressor. We often spread our flags curb to curb to chase people off the street, and more than one vendor of candies and balloons was purposely kicked in the butt and knocked over. I'm sure other corps did the same.

We (Garfield) were in a parade immediately behind a Mummers band. They did a ton of start and stop, and they often just stood around playing for a while. We gave them lots of room in fornt of us for a while, just to be polite, but eventually the fits and starts became such a pain our DM had us close up right behind them...and we just played as loudly as we could...they got the mention and never stopped the rest of the parade! :tongue:

Of course, these violent incidents are not restricted to just pre-DCI days or other centuries.

There is the hushed up incident at the 1983 DCI championships in Miami which the (Garfield) Cadets won for their very first DCI championship. The corps was filing out of the stadium after the victory run through, in typical Cadet 2x2 manner only to be met by some very drunk Hawthorne Muchachos alums who tried to take the DCI trophy away physically from the Garfield chaplain who was holding it. The drunks were bitter and complaining that they should have been the first Eastern corps to carry a DCI trophy. As the chaplain tried to quiet them down while keeping the trophy secure, the Cadets' Major circled the corps still in formation around the chaplain and Hopkins stepped in to move the Muchachos to disperse in the shadows of some local cops in the lot. Nothing further occurred.

More recently (this century) there was the infamous incident in the parking lot at Murfreesboro the one year Bruno was the director of the Cavaliers, the Samurai year. The Blue Devils and the Cavaliers had been going at it all season, as they had for most of that early decade. (One might remember a Cavalier from Texas even stealing a Blue Devil uniform one of those years at the DATR; Gibbs tried to have the Cavie arrested; Rosemont sent the member packing home for the season and the whole corps did push-up penalties.) Well comes Murfreesboro, it's the night the Cavies were going to do their annual "rookie run" after the show for their infamous initiation The rookies would take a lap of the lot totally in the nude and race back to the busses, startling everyone and supposedly proving the rookies were worthy to be inducted as Brothers. Well the route went past the BD busses and the Devils lay in wait. As the Cavies streakedd past, the Devils appeared at their windows with Supersoakers (extended water-pistol rifles) loaded with urine, water and/or tennis balls and small stones. The older Cavaliers raced to defend their noobies as the Devils lived up to their name. Adults and campus cops brought a more mature intervention and sent both corps back to their busses before the situation got worse and so it didn't hit the media and become a DCI public relations nightmare. The tradition of the Rookie run was shortly officially ended by statement of the director and the corps founder. But not all is concord and no love has ever been lost between these two corps, as witnessed by the phenomenally supportive ovations the Cavies have given the Cadets and Carolina Crown in the tunnels at Finals the last few years. I think it was a Cavie who coined ABBD.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

Thank you.... could see it with PAL but thought it also refered to parish corps so hench my confusion.

s/ Guy whos one college room mate is a prison guard. He gets called a lot of things but doubt if LEO is one of them.

s/ Guy whos one college room mate is a prison guard. He gets called a lot of things but doubt if LEO is one of them.

As a retired CO (correction officer) who walked a tougher beat than most PO's, most folks consider PO's, deputies, CO's/guards, troopers, all members of the LEO family.

As a retired CO (correction officer) who walked a tougher beat than most PO's, most folks consider PO's, deputies, CO's/guards, troopers, all members of the LEO family.

I'm sure of that Ghost, I've just never heard of the term "LEO". Haven't talked to my ex-roomie in years so can't ask if he has. So no idea if "LEO" is a regional term or nation wide.

Can dig the harder beat, he's at Western Penn around Pittsburgh where PA puts it's lifers. And his usual duty is/was on the floor during breakfast and lunch without weapons. "If ya got a weapon they can take it... so no weapons".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Good Lord, most of our fights were during or after Mardi Gras parades. We too would march curb to curb having to push the crowd back off the streets, after all "we thought we owned the street". Southern Rebels decided to carry open sabers on either side of the corps with 2 people ahead of them giving the "warning". This had worked for 2 seasons until a cop got "rammed" and the city passed a law preventing open sabers etc.

Our fights were mostly with drunks refusing to move and it became a "sport" to #### with the corps. One group met us at our buses and all hell broke lose. While the horns held their own, it was the drummers with the egg mallets and the bad ### chicks with heavy flag poles and rifles that did the most damage. However, it was John D. that was a real fighter in the horn line and when more than one guy fought him, he used his mouthpiece in his hand with shank facing out between his fingers to punch holes in peoples cheeks.

We seldom had problems with other corps in NOLA, however more than once at the end of a parade the NOLA corps would join forces to help one another.

Seems in the Chicago area, every gang near a housing site would seek us out. Hell, we fought on the bus for practice. I had no idea I had joined a street gang with instruments. Me, the fat little kid afraid of his own shadow in 9th grade returned to school for 10th grade not afraid of anyone. God I miss drum corps.

Good Lord, most of our fights were during or after Mardi Gras parades. We too would march curb to curb having to push the crowd back off the streets, after all "we thought we owned the street". Southern Rebels decided to carry open sabers on either side of the corps with 2 people ahead of them giving the "warning". This had worked for 2 seasons until a cop got "rammed" and the city passed a law preventing open sabers etc.

Our fights were mostly with drunks refusing to move and it became a "sport" to #### with the corps. One group met us at our buses and all hell broke lose. While the horns held their own, it was the drummers with the egg mallets and the bad ### chicks with heavy flag poles and rifles that did the most damage. However, it was John D. that was a real fighter in the horn line and when more than one guy fought him, he used his mouthpiece in his hand with shank facing out between his fingers to punch holes in peoples cheeks.

We seldom had problems with other corps in NOLA, however more than once at the end of a parade the NOLA corps would join forces to help one another.

Seems in the Chicago area, every gang near a housing site would seek us out. Hell, we fought on the bus for practice. I had no idea I had joined a street gang with instruments. Me, the fat little kid afraid of his own shadow in 9th grade returned to school for 10th grade not afraid of anyone. God I miss drum corps.

Look at it this way,...... where else could borderline juvenile deliquents learn to read music, precision march AND throw a precision haymaker when called upon ? At that young stage of my life, I thought.. " this is a hellava deal ! " ( haha)

Edited by BRASSO

Look at it this way,...... where else could borderline juvenile deliquents learn to read music, precision march AND throw a precision haymaker when called upon ? Such a deal, huh ? ( haha)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: