Contracts

Does anyone have an example of a contract (with personal information removed, natch) that they feel ok sharing? Having never seen one I'm curious what kind of information it has in it. In particular, do they ever have some kind of language about non-performance (e.g., thought the marcher would get in shape/develop as a player but hasn't). Are marchers ever removed from a corps for inability to perform? Nothing much motivating this request other than total unfamiliarity with contracts and the kind of expectations/enforcement typically seen in them.

I remember one part of a contract was an image release. basically it said we gave dci, the corps, and whoever else might use/profit from our personal image the right to capture our image and then do what they want with it. it's not the first thing i thought of when i thought of "contract" but we had to sign it along with the other contract nonetheless.

when I marched they first started the contracts in my 6th year. Basically the contract listed all of the practices and performances and I went over the list with the director and we discussed any conflicts I may have had in which I would not be able to make something. Any conflicts were then noted and the decision on whether I was excused for the conflict was noted. then I signed the contract, and my signature was my agreement that I would be with the corps for everything listed unless otherwise noted.

Does anyone have an example of a contract (with personal information removed, natch) that they feel ok sharing? Having never seen one I'm curious what kind of information it has in it. In particular, do they ever have some kind of language about non-performance (e.g., thought the marcher would get in shape/develop as a player but hasn't). Are marchers ever removed from a corps for inability to perform? Nothing much motivating this request other than total unfamiliarity with contracts and the kind of expectations/enforcement typically seen in them.

In addition to stuff others have mentioned (image release, agreement to attend rehearsals/performances throughout the season, etc) the contracts also are a written agreement that the member will pay the required dues in the time allotted by the organization. Also, there's typically a list of corps rules spelled out with consequences for violating said rules: that way, the organization is protected if they need to remove someone from the corps during the season because a member breaks a serious rule (and it's in writing "I agree that if I break Rule 'X' I will face/accept Consequence 'Y'"). There also might be a non-disclosure agreement involved.

What do you mean by "inability to perform? Do you mean physically not able to perform (i.e. out of shape), or do you mean they can't attend a performance?

If you mean physically, I have heard of organizations who accept a member on a probationary status that they member get in better shape, and if they do not meet certain requirements by specific times the member will be cut. Back in the 90's, at least, I know of at least one corps who required their color guard members to be at or under a specific weight, and if the member came to camp over that weight they would get a warning, and a second camp overweight would mean the member got cut.

I've also known corps who outright cut amazing musically talented auditionees because they were not in good physical shape & couldn't handled the physical demands (if you have, say, 600 people auditioning for your corps you have that luxury).