Just ONE change!

I think we can all agree, we want even MORE people to buy-in to what this activity has to offer. Several steps could lead to this. Let's list them and go from there. We don't need flowing, feel good, theories, just specific actions.

Question . . .

If you could introduce just ONE change that will cause more people to become consumers of this product, either as participant or paying customer, what would you offer? Remember now, just ONE change.

My answer is, present more sustained melody. We provide far too many snippets and dut,dut, duts.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

I think we can all agree, we want even MORE people to buy-in to what this activity has to offer. Several steps could lead to this. Let's list them and go from there. We don't need flowing, feel good, theories, just specific actions.

Question . . .

If you could introduce just ONE change that will cause more people to become consumers of this product, either as participant or paying customer, what would you offer? Remember now, just ONE change.

My answer is, introduce more sustained melody. We offer far too many snippets and dut,dut, duts.

A CEO with experience building/running an events business with more than $50M in revenue.

• Like 6

Thanks, danielray! We need your input, Garfield's, Brasso's, Hockeydad's, Stu's, etc. to nail this down! We can't simply beat around the bush, we must get specific and, hopefully, act upon one or more of these suggestions.

Make visual program and guard work worth 30-35% of the score, and musical program and performance worth 65-70% of the score. If someone wants to park and bark for 2 or 3 minutes, and they tear the house down doing it, who gives a ___ about the 'easy' aspects of simply standing and communicating with the audience.

Drill is overrated as an audience builder.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 9

Make visual program and guard work worth 30-35% of the score, and musical program and performance worth 65-70% of the score.

Interesting, Slingerland. I have no idea what the current breakdown is, maybe your suggestion is better. That's the spirit!

Let's go, boys and girls! Step up to the plate Jeff Ream, Fran Haring, Michael Boo, cixelsyd, normy diploome, mikeD, corpsband , N.E. Brigand, and others. Let's do this, spit it out.

smile.gif

A brief survey of fans who are attending their first drum corps show. (This applies to DCA shows as well as DCI.)

It would ask:

"Would you pay to attend another show? If so... why? If not... why?"

The answers might be interesting.

• Like 2

A brief survey of fans who are attending their first drum corps show. (This applies to DCA shows as well as DCI.)

It would ask:

"Would you pay to attend another show? If so... why? If not... why?"

The answers might be interesting.

Yes, Fran. That's the bottom line, isn't it?

Interesting, Slingerland. I have no idea what the current breakdown is, maybe your suggestion is better. That's the spirit!

Right now visual and guard are 50% of the score (20 in visual GE, and 30 in combined visual performance and guard).

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

Right now visual and guard are 50% of the score (20 in visual GE, and 30 in combined visual performance and guard).

Honestly, I like the idea of music getting more weight than visual on the sheets for the DCA side more than the DCI side.

IMO, there are any number of DCI corps who have generated a lot of impact through their visual programming.

The all-age corps... by the sheer nature of the beast (less rehearsal/prep time)... can't generate that same impact. And again IMO, they are going down a suicide path if they try to keep up with the DCI corps in this regard.

Off the soapbox now, and back to the original topic.... :tongue:

• Like 1

I guess I'd be OK with that breakdown, IF those components are what causes audiences to jump out of their seats. However, in my mind, they do not. A big wall of sound, easy to understand sound, does that every time. Our guards are simply amazing, but they are of less visceral impact than sound. This opinion from an old color guard guy.

• Like 1