Is It Worth It?

"I used to work with a guy who was born and raised in Indianapolis. He told me that if I went to the Indy 500 not to bother going to the race - it was a waste of money - instead go to the time trials because that's when the teams have to qualify, so they pull out all stops and really push the envelope. I don't imagine that Drum Corps is is that much different. [my edit: Some corps] might not be too concerned about it, but a corps that's on the bubble is really going to pour it on. To me that's part of the fun."

I have to agree with Piper about this one.

Haven't we all enjoyed those performances where the corps left everything on the field, and I don't mean the memorabilia once left on Finals' Night retreat. I mean the years when we yearn for a tie in twelfth place because those units have so improved and peaked at just the right time. Isn't that search for excellence fundamentally what the activity is about as a youth formation experience? Think of the Troopers a few years back, Crossmen, Magic , etc, etc. The championship experience will elicit this type of adrenaline and excellence whenever the requirements of participation impose limits.

Edited by normy diploome