NEW DCA Class A Corps Forming in the Tenn./Ken. Area

Im looking for anyone interested in helping my new project: Starting a NEW DCA Class A corps in the Northwest Tennessee/Southwest Kentucly area. We already have a name: Horizon Drum and Bugle Corps, but thats about as far as we are now. If youre interested in helping, email me at horizondbc@gmail.com. Thanks!

• Like 1

Well, if all you have is a name ( a good one I might add) the next step would be getting drums and bugles.

It's like the old Steve Martin line on how to become a millionaire. " First, get a million dollars..."

• Like 2

Well, if all you have is a name ( a good one I might add) the next step would be getting drums and bugles.

It's like the old Steve Martin line on how to become a millionaire. " First, get a million dollars..."

Yep.......working on that AND the 501©(3).......

Good luck to you!

We have not been able to pull members from TN simply due to the distance we are from NC's western border (which is well more than a 4 hour drive). I have always been hopeful that someone would start up a Corps in TN.

I just heard that a Carolina Gold/VK alum is working to get a DCA Corps started in New Orleans. Everything is very preliminary on that front, but it is VERY nice to see DCA expand in the Southeast. Our Board is certainly committed to a long-term approach to foster and encourage growth of the marching arts in the Southeast. We have some big plans for the future in order to help make that a reality in NC and I expect you will be hearing more from our organization on that front in the years to come.

Admittedly, it has been somewhat of a challenge with the average southern citizen understanding what we do -especially since the activity does not have the historic roots in the southeast with churches and veterans associations (VFW, etc) unlike those organizations in the northeastern part of the US. Just know that the best way to approach that is to try to get your Corps' name out to the local media as often as you can. I have noticed that marching arts groups tend to forget to promote themselves to the "everyman" and instead internalize their attention. Failure to "toot your own horn" locally does your Corps and the activity a disservice. So, dont forget to do that! :)

Best of luck!

Good luck to you!

We have not been able to pull members from TN simply due to the distance we are from NC's western border (which is well more than a 4 hour drive). I have always been hopeful that someone would start up a Corps in TN.

I just heard that a Carolina Gold/VK alum is working to get a DCA Corps started in New Orleans. Everything is very preliminary on that front, but it is VERY nice to see DCA expand in the Southeast. Our Board is certainly committed to a long-term approach to foster and encourage growth of the marching arts in the Southeast. We have some big plans for the future in order to help make that a reality in NC and I expect you will be hearing more from our organization on that front in the years to come.

Admittedly, it has been somewhat of a challenge with the average southern citizen understanding what we do -especially since the activity does not have the historic roots in the southeast with churches and veterans associations (VFW, etc) unlike those organizations in the northeastern part of the US. Just know that the best way to approach that is to try to get your Corps' name out to the local media as often as you can. I have noticed that marching arts groups tend to forget to promote themselves to the "everyman" and instead internalize their attention. Failure to "toot your own horn" locally does your Corps and the activity a disservice. So, dont forget to do that! :)

Best of luck!

Thanks! I know Music City Legend IS trying to rebuild.....but I wanna build a TRUE drum corps, circa something between 1975-1982. No amps, no flashy props, no extreme guard unis, just drum corps the way it WAS......G horns included! thumbup.gif

• Like 2

Thanks! I know Music City Legend IS trying to rebuild.....but I wanna build a TRUE drum corps, circa something between 1975-1982. No amps, no flashy props, no extreme guard unis, just drum corps the way it WAS......G horns included! thumbup.gif

1975-1982 wasn't TRUE drum corps. The pit was grounded, the starting line was eliminated, and horns had 2 valves! You want to field a TRUE drum corps, take a look pre-1970! But bear in mind that no amps, no props, no extreme guard uniforms, etc, may equal no trophies.. And as much as the activity has changed, it still remains a Drum Corps competition.
  • Like 5

Im looking for anyone interested in helping my new project: Starting a NEW DCA Class A corps in the Northwest Tennessee/Southwest Kentucly area. We already have a name: Horizon Drum and Bugle Corps, but thats about as far as we are now. If youre interested in helping, email me at horizondbc@gmail.com. Thanks!

Well, Im.shooting for Class A, but Minicorps is my plan B.

Interesting - because on May 11, 2013 the "Hot Off The Press" news on your Horizon Drum Corps website says:

"We are forming a new DCI Open Class Drum Corps in the Northwest Tennessee/Southwest Kentucky area. Although not currently accepting members, we are looking for donors to help donate enough to purchase uniforms and equipment. If you can.help, PLEASE donate whatever amoint you like."

So which is it?

As Rex often says - Caveat Emptor.